Tumors And Hearts

Day 101 – Heartfelt Words

Xx-nikki-xX

I woke up on Thursday morning to my phone going off. I rolled over and looked at the clock on my bedside table and saw that it was already 11:38. It felt weird to sleep in when I was so used to running every morning. Dr. Anna Lynn Molly had also told me I had to stop running; I was done doing any kind of major physical activity…

Groaning, I grabbed my phone and rolled back over. “Hello?” I said pulling the blanket over my head again.

“You sound like you just woke up.” came Manda’s voice.

“I did.”

“It’s already 11:30. What time did you go to bed?”

“About 10.”

“Jesus…”

“I think it’s my tumor.” I said through a yawn. “I’ve been sleeping so much lately. I can’t think of any other reason…”

“Speaking of your tumor…” her voice was a little uneven.

“What?”

“Dixie send out an email to everyone on the roster… She told everyone...”

“I know.”

“You do?”

“Yeah.” I sat up in bed and stretched. “We decided there was no point in hiding it anymore. I’m going to die soon, people should at least know why.”

“I guess so…”

“What did it say?”

“What did what say?” It sounded like I just snapped her out of a deep thought.

“The email.”

“Oh. Here, I’ll forward it to you.”

I got out of bed and sat down at my desk. I turned on my laptop and opened my email. It was at the very top of my inbox.

“I got it.” I said clicking on the message.

It was a very long email. My eyes filled with tears as I read through it. It explained everything about my tumor and how I didn’t have much time left. The letters on the screen slowly became more blurry as I continued to read through the message. It was so heartfelt and amazing that it made me cry. Dixie’s last bit really got to me.

“Now please don’t treat Nikki any differently.” It read. “She doesn’t want special treatment from anyone. I’ve known since she was a little girl that she was a fighter. And I know that she’ll fight this tumor to the very end. I will miss my niece very dearly when she passes away. Until then I can only hope that the last of her days are some of the best she has ever had.”