Tumors And Hearts

Day 114 – Late Night Conversation

Xx-shannon-xX

I was walking down the hall of the hospital in a bit of a daze. I couldn’t believe how fast everything was happening now. Nikki was very weak. Things as simple as sitting up in bed or reaching out to grab my hand took its toll on her dwindling strength. She would get a migraine from anything and tried to do as little as possible. Her voice comes out as a raspy whisper when she talks and she is losing hair quickly. It broke my heart to see the woman I loved in that state.

The doctors told me Nikki had to stay in the hospital until one of two things happened:
#1: They by some miracle find a cure.
#2: Nikki dies.
We all knew that them finding a cure in time was only wishful thinking.

I smiled as I passed a nurse who was walking in the opposite direction. I adjusted the bag on my shoulder that had clean clothes and other overnight stuff and kept walking to the end of the hall where Nikki’s room was. I had to go home to North Carolina to check up on things and get some stuff I needed. Other than that I rarely left Nikki alone.

It was late at night by the time I got back. I checked the time on my phone and saw that it was already close to midnight. I figured Nikki would already be asleep as I quietly slipped into her room. She slept a lot more now these days. I walked over to her bed and sat down in the chair next to it. I sighed and gently laced my fingers through hers. They twitched slightly and Nikki’s eyes opened.

“I didn’t mean to wake you.” I whispered.

“It’s okay.” she said in her own raspy whisper. “I wanted to be awake when you got back.”

I smiled and had to fight back tears. I used my free hand to move a piece of hair out of her face and leaned over to kiss her forehead. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Nikki turned her head and looked out the dark window. “What’s the day is it?” she asked.

“November 24.” I said checking my phone.

She smiled and turned back to look at me again. “I hope I can see the snow fall before I die.”

“That would be nice.” I said stroking her hair.

She nodded, still smiling. “I love the cold weather.” she said. “Especially the snow. The first snow fall of the year is always the best. Maybe I’ll get to see one last first snow fall…”

“You will.” I said as she closed her eyes. “I promise you will.”

I don’t know how long it took, but I didn’t let myself cry until I was sure she was completely asleep again.

I knew it was useless, but I prayed to God that they were somehow able to find a cure in time.