Tumors And Hearts

Day 115 – The Last First Snow Fall

Xx-nikki-xX

“Nikki, wake up.”

I felt someone stroking my hair. They paused long enough to kiss me on the cheek and then picked right back up again. “Wake up.” They whispered again.

“But I don’t want to.” I said opening my eyes. “What are you smiling about?”

“Get up and I’ll show you.” he kissed me on the cheek again.

“But the nurses won’t let me.”

He stepped aside and I could see a nurse come into the room with a wheelchair. “I already talked to them.” Shannon said, still smiling.

Being my stubborn self, I wanted to get up by myself. I was only able to sit up in bed before getting a killer migraine. I let myself fall back against the pillows and took a deep breath.

“Gimme a minute.” I said.

Shannon rolled his eyes. He gently picked me up out of my bed and placed me in the wheelchair. He wrapped me up in a very warm blanket and straightened up. “Now was that so hard?” he asked.

“Maybe.” I said not looking up at him.

He laughed and thanked the nurse for bringing the chair. She told him to be very careful with me before leaving us alone.

“So what are you going to show me?” I asked as Shannon wheeled me out into the hall.

“You’ll see.” was all he said.

When we turned down a particularly busy hallway, Shannon told me to close my eyes. I obeyed, still wondering what he wanted to show me. I heard the sliding doors open and close and it was suddenly much colder. I wrapped the blanket tighter around me.

Are we outside?

“Open your eyes.” Shannon said at last.

I opened my eyes and smiled. It was snowing. The ground was already covered in a few inches of snow and more just kept falling down on us. I stuck my tongue out caught a few snowflakes.

My eyes started watering and I quickly wiped away the tears. “Thank you Shannon.” I said.

“You’re welcome.” he said. “I figured it would make you happy.”

I nodded and couldn’t hold it in any longer. I started crying as the snow continued to fall down on Shannon and me. “I love you Shannon.”

“I love you too Nikki.” he said squatting down to my height. “Please don’t cry.”

I wrapped my arms around his neck the best I could. “I can’t help it.” my happy tear suddenly turned to sad tears. I tried to smile as Shannon brushed the snow out of my hair and kissed the top of my head. I wanted to be happy that I got to see one last first snowfall, but I couldn’t.