Just Traveling Through

10.

Two and a half sleeping pills later and it was still impossible for me to fall asleep. I couldn’t stop thinking about what would happen when the plane landed in Australia. What would Myles say? How would Eric react to my new family? Would he be loud and angry, demanding to take Ryder away immediately? Eric didn’t even have a hotel room booked; he had no means of transportation planned out. Did he assume I’d let him stay with me? I know I wasn’t going to let him sleep on my couch, John either for that matter, but I was slightly afraid that Myles’ soft spot would flare up and he’d invite them both to stay the night while they figured out their itinerary.

I must have finally found sleep because the next thing I knew, my shoulder was shaking and the stranger next to me had a kind smile on their face as I opened my bleary eyes. I sleepily thanked her before she stood up and grabbed her things from the overhead compartment. I cautiously peeked over the seats to find Eric and John. They were patiently waiting in their seats, talking with each other quietly.

I situated my bag on my shoulder and tried to blend in with the line of people exiting the plane. Of course, though, the line paused and I was stuck right next to Eric and John. They noticed me and while Eric stood immediately, cutting into the line in front of me, John sheepishly stepped in behind me and kept his gaze on the floor. I sighed, fishing for my phone. It was almost 7 at night and Myles had called, left a voicemail, and sent me a text message. I checked the text message first; he said he was going to be waiting at baggage claim with Ryder. I listened to the voicemail next; he said he was slightly worried by how early I had been returning and he was very curious as to what I meant by coming home with someone else.

I ignored the boys as I walked easily through the airport. I knew they were struggling to keep up but at this point, I only had my family on my mind. Baggage claim came into view and I saw Myles over everyone else around. My heartbeat quickened as my feet carried me faster toward him. Somewhere behind me, Eric yelled out my name and something about slowing down. Myles turned at the sound of my name; his smile was radiant, his eyes sparkling with joy. He bent down, disappearing for a few seconds, and up came Ryder. His eyes lit up and he reached his hands out to me. I really couldn’t get there fast enough.

I grabbed Ryder from Myles, hugging him close to me and kissing the top of his head multiple times. I kissed his forehead and cheeks and gushed about how much I loved him and missed him. I felt Eric and John behind me now but I didn’t acknowledge them. Myles looked mildly confused as to why two men were standing so close to me, to us, but I smiled at him.

“Hi, baby,” he said smoothly, ignoring the two just like I had hoped. He leaned over and kissed me. “How was your trip?”

I sighed, shaking my head. “We can save that for later. But, um, there are some people you need to meet.”

Myles nodded hesitantly, his eyes focusing on Eric and John behind me. I swallowed hard, unsure of how to start this introduction. Myles looked at me and I inhaled deeply.

“This is John,” I said, motioning to him. “My best friend.”

John and Myles shook hands briefly, exchanging quick hellos. Myles looked at Eric and I knew then that he figured it out.

“You must be..” Myles trailed off. Of course he knew. Eric and Ryder looked so much alike that it was absolutely frightening. I had never seen the resemblance before, but now that I had Ryder’s brown eyes staring up at me I shook inside at how he was an exact replica of Eric. He had Eric’s hair and his nose, his jaw and his eyes.

“This is Eric,” I said softly.

Myles seemed to accept that Eric was here fairly well. While Ryder began babbling to me about what he had been doing in my absence, Myles took up a conversation with Eric and John, questioning about what they did for a living and if they had any plans for dinner. I set Ryder down and took his hand in mine, walking to the conveyer belt to wait for my suitcase.

Once at home, I still couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that Eric was there. Eric Halvorsen had followed me, little old me, across the world. He was going to fight for his son, but whether or not he’d fight dirty was still unclear. I had put Ryder down hours ago. It was verging on 11 at night when John yawned.

“Why don’t you mates stay the night?” Myles suggested. “That way in the morning you’ll be well rested and ready to go?”

Eric and John exchanged uneasy glances. They had nowhere to go, in a foreign country, an hour before midnight. They both knew they weren’t going to willingly venture out into the night to find a hotel.

“If you don’t mind,” John said.

“You little ripper!”

I chuckled to myself. That had been the first full Aussie slang he had let slip. I could tell he had been holding back all night so the boys would be able to follow along. He disappeared into the guest room.

“It’s a good reaction,” I explained tiredly. “He’s glad you’re staying.”

John chuckled a little, too. “Does he really talk like that a lot?”

I smiled. “It took a long time for me to understand him.”

Myles came back out into the living room, sitting on the armrest of my chair. “Oh, babe, the florist called. Mad as a cut snake, she was.”

I sighed and nodded, “I’ll call her tomorrow.”

“Righto. This way, mates,” Myles said to John and Eric. The three of them disappeared into the guest room and I heard Myles saying something about brekkie being at 8.

I stood up, waiting for him to return. I had definitely missed this apartment. I had missed Myles. I had missed my baby. I had definitely missed Australia in all of her glory. Being here made it so much easier to breathe. I had no worries here, as opposed to in the United States.

“Eric seems nice,” Myles said quietly on the way to our bedroom. His hand was twined with mine and my head rested on his shoulder. I was about to confess what I had done, let him know that I had betrayed him, when he continued. “Mills, I know what happened at home, okay? You don’t have to tell me. I don’t want you to feel like you have to. I’m okay with what happened.”

“But Myles-”

“Millie,” he stopped me, placed a finger on my lips. “Sh. I don’t care that it happened. I know you’re mine and I’m yours.”

I nodded, slightly in shock. He let go of my hand so he could peel his clothes off and pull the covers on our bed back. I eventually could move, and my feet shuffled me into the bathroom to change and wash up. I joined Myles in bed moments later and cuddled up next to him, extremely stoked to be in his arms again.

“I love you,” he whispered as he kissed the top of my head.

“I love you, too,” I whispered back, leaning up to steal a kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
kiiiind of slow moving.
the next few chapters might be slowish too, until we get to the wedding.
the next chapter is when eric and ryder formally meet, though. so i've got a couple plans for that. :)

reactions to myles not caring she had sex with eric? how did he even know, anyway?