Just Traveling Through

06.

I closed my eyes and exhaled deeply as I rolled over onto my side and pulled a pillow to my chest. The smell of Eric’s cologne filled my senses immediately, causing me to squeeze my eyes shut tighter. He had just left, saying something about how he’d love to stay all night but he has a dinner date with his mom and sister in town. It was for the best that he had this dinner pre-planned and couldn’t back out of it because moments after I heard his car pull out of the drive, my phone rang.

“Millie,” Myles cooed.

“Hey baby,” I said with a smile. “I miss you.”

“I miss you, too,” he replied. “Ryder is missing Mommy like crazy. I think he misses you more than I do.”

I smiled as I pictured my boys wallowing around the apartment, awaiting my return. “How is he? I’ve never been gone from him this long.”

“He’s alright,” Myles confirmed. “He’s crawling around like a little mad guy. I can tell he misses ya.”

“Myles?” I questioned softly.

“Yeah, Mills?”

I closed my eyes again, picturing him lying next to me. It was a stretch to imagine it, since he had never been to Arizona, let alone inside the States at all. “I love you,” I whispered.

“I love you too, baby,” he said back and I could hear the smile in his voice. He groaned slightly and I heard a gurgle. “Hey, here’s Ry.”

“Baby,” I cooed sweetly, my heart swelling as he babbled into Myles’ phone. “It’s Mommy, Ryry. Are you being a good boy?”

I could hear Myles laughing as he put the phone back to his own ear. “He’s grinning, Mills.”

“Amelia?” my mom asked through the door, knocking slightly.

“Hang on, Myles,” I said softly and placed my phone on the edge of my bed. I made my way to the door, opened it slightly and came face-to-face with my mother.

“I haven’t seen much of you since you got home,” she said quietly. It sounded like she was upset.

“Mom,” I said as I stepped aside and motioning for her to enter my room. “I want to tell you something.”

“Are you in trouble, Amelia?” she questioned.

I picked up my phone and bit my lip. It was now or never; my plane home left in a little over two days. “Myles?” I said, pushing the speaker button.

“Yeah babe?”

My mother looked at me with wide eyes. I just offered her a smile as I handed the phone to her to hold as I dug through my purse. I found the diamond ring and slowly turned to face her again.

“Myles, my mom is here,” I explained to him. I slipped the ring onto my finger, sat next to my mom and smiled. “I put you on speaker, okay?”

“Mrs. Locklear?” Myles asked.

“Amelia,” she whispered, horrified. “Who is this?”

“His name is Myles, mom,” I explained. “We’re getting married.”

“Mrs. Locklear, I’m so sorry I’m not there to meet you in person,” he apologized to her. “When Millie gets back, we’re going to plan a family vacation to return soon.”

“Myles, is it?” she asked cautiously. “I’m... I’m very glad you’re in Amelia’s life. I knew when she came home that something had changed; she wouldn’t have come home unless something had. She’s had a glow about her, too, and now I know it’s because of you.”

“Ma’am,” Myles laughed softly. “Your daughter is the light of my life.”

I smiled. It shouldn’t be happening this way, not over the phone, but the way my mother was handling it told me it was okay. I felt her hand slide over mine and squeeze lightly.

“Babe, I think it’s bedtime,” I suggested lightly. “Can we call you tomorrow?”

“Of course,” he said in confidence. “It was nice to meet you, Mrs. Locklear.”

“You, too, Myles,” she said and handed the phone to me.

I took him off speaker and we said our goodbye’s and I love you’s before hanging up. I looked to my mom, waiting for her real input on this situation. She had a sparkle in her eye, an air of pure happiness.

“Amelia,” she started. There was a pregnant pause and all of her emotions and thoughts were clearly displayed on her face. She leaned close to me, her arms wrapping tightly around my frame. She held me so tightly in that warm embrace for so long that she didn’t even have to finish her train of thought at that point because I knew what she was going to say, I knew exactly how she felt; but she said it anyway. “I’m proud of you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
very short chapter but i think it's an informative and important one.
things are going to start unfolding rapidly now.