Status: Active. Very Active

The Perfect Day to Die

Chapter One

The phone rang in what seemed to be an endless chime as the sleeping Sadie was brought forth from her dreams. Fumbling for the handset she finally found the wireless and drug it to her hear. "Hello?" a sleepy croak escaped her throat to whomever was at the other end of the line.

"Still sleeping, I see" Jesse teased, a smile playing through her voice. "Alright. I know, I know, I haven't been the most supportive friend in your ridiculous dreams of the perfect man and the perfect wedding..." the tone in her voice was enough to spark Sadie's interest and force her to sit upright in bed, wondering what could make her best friend say things that just a week ago she would have written off as nonsensical babble.

"Continue" Sadie yawned, eager for the moment of silence to pass.

"I've found him" Jesse almost squealed into the phone. "Not for me, of course, but for you. I'll be off work in about seven hours and I'm gonna help you with date night clothes.." Sadie's mind raced for a few moments, and then a small smirk played across her light pink lips.

"I thought you were completely against my whole starry-eyed husband search? I thought you were anti-romance?"

"I am, Sadie. You know that. I just think the sooner you find him the sooner you'll stop all this ridiculous nonsensical searching. You've been looking since we were ten years old. Now, you're twenty one, about time to find him, Sade." After that last sentence the line went dead and Sadie rolled her eyes slightly. Jesse was so silly, impulsive and cynical; but Sade loved her anyways.

She glanced at the clock and sighed, her alarm was going to go off soon. It was 7:49AM and jut about time to be getting up. After grumbling and hugging her pillow one more time, she rolled out of bed. Moving slowly to the bathroom, her nightgown swishing around her thighs as a cool morning breeze blew in through the open window, she thought. 'I wonder what he's like.. This guy she's found.' Her imagination starting running away with itself as she pictured what she told Jess would be the perfect man back in ninth grade. The shaggy hair, pick-up truck, farmer's tanned, trouble maker; but that had always been an image that Jesse had never liked for Sadie. He had to be in some sort of profession? Clean shaven most likely, and definitely very intelligent. Maybe he was a police officer? The questions just kept piling up in her mind as she brushed through her long, flowing red hair.

Hours seemed to pass like seconds after she arrived at work. Sitting behind her small desk in her cramped cubicle taking calls all day. She worked at an answering service for a very prestigious hospital. Mostly, she took calls for Dr. James Curtis, an amazing heart surgeon who was a very smart and very handsome man. He might have been the perfect man for Sadie with his sparkling hazel eyes and messy brown hair, if not for the fact that he was happily married and forty three. Sighing heavily, she answered another call and put yet another person on hold while she paged whichever department of the hospital they needed to be transferred to. "Some days, I wish I had something more.." she sighed to herself as she yawned. The work was slow, and tedious, but at least today the anticipation was giving her something else to concentrate on. At least today the time seemed to be flying by at the speed of light.

Finally, the clock on her desk hit 3PM, and her shift was basically done, all that had to happen now was Mackenzie had to show up and relieve her of her duties. The minutes on the clock ticked by slower than molasses in these last few minutes and each call seemed to get dryer, and more boring each second that passed. Finally, Mac showed up. "Sadieee!" her high-pitched voice rang out in the office.

"Hey, Kenzie." Sadie said softly, pulling the headset off and handing it over to her coworker. "Today has been pretty slow. Only one or two calls that was actually for Curtis. Most of them were just wrong numbers, or someone trying to get the hospital main line that found us." shrugging she grabbed her purse and jacket and started out "Have fun." And, with that, she was off.
There was still an hour before her beloved Jess was freed for her day job, so she had some time to ponder. Ponder, and wonder what the man she was going on a date that night with was going to be like. It's not like this was the first time that Jesse had set her up, but usually it was with hopes of crushing her happy "Someday I Will Find True Love" spirit. She'd never said this one was 'the one' before. Skipping off to her small apartment to sit, wait and wonder.

The hour seemed to go on for days. The clock ticking by in an endless monotony that was almost enough to drive her insane. Eventually four came around, and soon after that an rosy-cheeked Jesse came bursting into Sadie's room and leapt onto her bed. "I got here as quick as I could, really." a devilish smile was playing at the corner of her lips, and a coy look was evident in her light gray eyes.

"I can see that." Sade said with a laugh, poking her friend's flushed cheeks and then pausing for a moment. She was trying to hold back the waterfall of questions attempting to escape her, and she wasn't strong for long. "Who is this guy, Jess? The one I'm supposed to be going out with tonight. Who is he? What's he like? Tell me everything, please?" she pushed her lip out in a sufficiently pitiful pout, only to be blown off with a scoff.

"I'm not telling you anything, Sadie. That's why it's called a blind date. You know just as much about him as he knows of you. Just, help me go through your clothes. You have to look sexy, yet sophisticated." Pausing momentarily, she tapped her lip with her finger. "You have to look perfect.. But, what do you own that's perfect?" her mind was obviously churning, thinking of something to put Sadie in for this big date, and then she hopped off the bed and started tearing through the closet.

"What the hell are you doing, Jess?" Sadie's voice rang out, a little miffed as she rose from the bed herself and moved over toward the closet. She was just about to start searching through all her clothes, too, as Jesse emerged.

"Here it is.." Her tone was full of excitement and her eyes looked glazed over. And with that, the dressing began.

Image


It was finally time. According to Jesse, she was finally ready. They were going out to a nice sushi bar at around eight o'clock. Sadie had showered, dressed in the clothes that Jesse had picked out, had her hair and make up done by her best friend, and basically been a barbie doll for the last three hours. Now, it was time to see how she actually looked.
Closing her closet door gingerly, she glanced into the mirror, and then smiled lightly at her reflection.

A small bit of pink lip gloss was making her lips shimmer. Matching her lips was a little bit of pink eye shadow that almost blended in with her pale complexion. The dress she was wearing was elegant and sexy. Dark blue and hanging down just above her knees, and not showing enough cleavage to be slutty. There was a slight blush to her cheeks that made them look rosy and glowing. She was speechless. "Wow, Jess.." she averted her eyes from the mirror and over to Jesse. "You obviously really want me to look great for this guy, dolling me all up like this. Sure it isn't you who's in love with him?" she teased, twisting one of her curls around her finger.

"Don't be stupid." Jesse's tone was flat and calculating for the first time all evening. Obviously, Sadie had just struck a chord with her friend. "No, I'm not into all this silly romance stuff, not like you." Jesse's eyebrow raised slightly and then that playful spark worked it way back into her eyes. "And, anyways, if I was in love with him, you think I'd let him meet a hottie like you? No way!" laughing and punching her friend lightly in the arm she started towards the door. "Come on, I'm taking you to the restaurant and dropping you off. He'll bring you home."

Sadie's eyes widened a little bit. "What? What!" She bit her lip "I'd much prefer-"

"I don't care what you'd prefer, now get to the car" Jesse pressed, winking at her friend and poking her in the side. And, with that, Sadie was on her way.

Image


The restaurant wasn't far from the house, and it was a very nice sushi bar that was one of Sadie's favorites. "Jesse, you're helping him too much.." she pouted a little bit, that frumpy look coming over her face.

"He picked it, Sade." Jess giggled as she stopped the car in front of the restaurant. "Here." she handed Sadie her purse which had been sitting on the chair and then winked at her, again. "Go on."

Sadie slowly stepped out of the car. This all seemed too good; he'd picked out her favorite restaurant to go to without any help from Jesse? How interesting. Once again, her mind was racing with thoughts of who he might be. "Are you.." she heard a deep voice from a feet paces to her left, and she paused. It was a lovely voice, but then she continued her strides toward the inside. "Sadie Johnson?" that same deep voice rang out from next to her.

"Yes?" She turned and saw the owner of the voice and she felt a blush creep up her neck as she gasped slightly audibly. He was gorgeous. Shaggy brown hair and deep green eyes that sparkled mysteriously. Oh, God. She's right.. He's perfect biting her lip she giggled ridiculously and waved.

A smile came across his face, and she finally got her senses back. Okay. Don't be superficial. Let's get to know this guy.. she was amazed she wasn't actually talking out loud with how jumbled up her head felt.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is far from finished. Comment?
I know it's not much to comment on yet, but what do you think of the style of writing so far? Input is always appreciated, of course. [;<