Status: accepting authors

Painted Scenes

December 22

A few years back, my dad planned is Christmas work party on my birthday. Then the next year, he did it again. And then, once more, he planned it again, on my birthday. I remember the first time he said it would never happen again. He kissed my forehead and said good night and happy birthday. Then the same thing happened the next year. It seemed like one of those cheesy dramatic heart touching Christmas films where the dad is gone for Christmas but comes back home late in the night or early in the morning. Except for it was my birthday, and some time along the line, reruns get old. Then the third time. He said he honestly hadn't forgotten that day was my birthday like that last two times. But that was the only night everyone could make it.

Of course when a child gets mad at their parents for a logical reason, the parent wants to get their kid what ever they want so that they feel better. My dad asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I had already gotten everything I'd asked for. Not the most typical gifts for a newly teenage daughter, video camera and some video games. But I got them none the less. The only thing left that I could think of was a stuffed animal dog. That was plain and simple, and not too far out. It shouldn't take much time to find, nor would it cost much. I didn't want my parents to think they could just buy my love, so I made it cheap.

I didn't even wait for my parents to come home that night. I just went to sleep thinking I would wake up in the morning, walk out to the dining room, and find a small stuffed animal dog just sitting there on the dinner table. That's how it always was. Every morning on my birthday, I walk out to the table to find a small stack of presents. but I was woken up around two in the morning. I thought is was my sister, something had probably scared her in the darkness of the basement den. But it wasn't my sister, it was my mom wishing me a happy birthday. Though my dad wasn't there. My mom moved out of the way to give m a clear view of the hallway behind her, and right there was the biggest stuffed dog I had ever seen. My dad had come around the corner with a big smile om his face knowing he'd done good. He picked up the dog and placed it in front of me by the couch. He'd told me happy birthday and kissed my forehead like the years before. As my mom and dad left down the hall I took a good look at the dog. It was perfect. And up next to the stupid camera, the video games, and all the gifts from years before, it was the best. My favorite birthday present ever.