Status: Underwater. Blub, blub, blub.

The Day Before

Dangerous.

I ran as fast as I could, almost tripping over myself. There were so many emotions pulsing through me, as there were questions. I was scared. I was nervous. I didn’t want anyone to get hurt. Bombs? How much time did I have left until it exploded?

I felt my feet go out from under me, my elbow broke my fall, earning a loud yelp from deep within me. I landed on the inner tube, making it pop from the pressure of my elbow. I heard a beep and then a few more quick ones. I got up, clumsily gripping the deflating inner tube tightly. My elbow burned from taking the butt of the fall. The beeping got louder and louder until I made it to the cracked window, throwing it in the pool of murky water. One last beep could be heard from underwater, then one big explosion.

Half of the water rained down on us, everything was going too fast for anyone to comprehend. I just knew that I had cheated death somehow, by tripping but still not getting blown to bits? Or the bomb was another type, because I never heard the other one beep or anything. But then again, Eli did run much faster than me and I had waited too long.

Bits of pink material were mixed in the falling water, which was starting to let down. My hand was still outstretched and I looked at the pool of water shockingly. I did cheat death, but I couldn’t get it through my head.

Ruth walked over to me, her normally wavy hair looked extremely curly, mostly because it was soaking wet. She managed to put my arm to my side. She gave me a small smile and led me to where everybody else was. Eli looked the other way, not wanting to look at me. I felt so guilty, for endangering everybody. I looked to the side, biting my lip from crying. Dash trotted over to us, licking my leg.

“He’s a cute dog!” Ruth said, trying for a light-heartened mood.

When no one said anything, she resorted to just staying quiet and petting Dash.

“Eli--” I started to plead, but he cut me off rather nastily.

“Save it.” he snapped at me. I closed my mouth, looking down at the floor. I glanced up, seeing a small smile on Charlotte’s face. I looked at her questioningly, wondering what in the world she could be smiling about. But Ruth was already tugging me along, so I couldn’t speak out.

We were making our way to Macy’s which then led to the roof of Dadeland. Eli was behind us, keeping a steady glare on my back. It was like I could feel it. Charlotte never left his side, obviously smug. I looked uneasily up the stairs. “We need to find Benji. He could be hurt.” I heard Ruth say. I heard a snort come from the back of me, but I didn’t want to look back.

Going up the black metal stairs seemed like more of a burden than it was before. Ruth led us up all the way until the familiar white door came into view. She leaned against it, almost as if putting all her strength into pushing it open. In under a second the door whipped open and bright sunshine came pouring through.

“I didn’t do that.” Ruth said nervously, backing away from the door. Eli pushed past me, poking his head through the doorway. I rubbed my shoulder, shooting daggers at his back.

“Clear.” He said after a while of just staring out the doorway. Charlotte tip toed past me, giving me a genuine smile. She went after Eli, disappearing with a wisp of her red hair tailing behind her. Cove gave a shrugged and followed suit.

“I left your dog in the Food Court with some bread I found earlier.” she said with a small smile. “Let’s go.” she added quickly, pointing to Charlotte, Eli, and Cove’s retreating forms. I followed her outside, the sun was harshly beating down on the roof, making me sweat in minutes.

When we rounded the building to a corner, I saw Cove jump off this building to the next one that followed, which was the front part of the mall, where the letters that were arched could be seen.

Ruth and I made it to where Cove jumped off on, out of breath and sweating. Ruth looked uncertain at the water, slowly rising. She turned to me, a nervous smile on her face.

“Why don’t you go first?” I shook my head, knowing what would happen.

“No, you won’t be able to jump and you’ll be stranded over here.” I said, biting my lip.

She looked back at the water, worry clouding her eyes.

“You can do it!” I heard Cove yell. We both looked up at him, determination seeping off of him.

“Ruth…” he whined, jumping from foot to foot, impatiently. Ruth nodded her head slowly, taking a few steps back.

She closed her eyes, took a deep breath and started running, you could hear her pounding footsteps has she jumped over the small body of water. She stretched out her arms, ready for impact, but she only made it to the side. She let out a bloodcurdling scream, which resulted in Charlotte and Eli’s return. Cove smiled at the situation, slowly going to Ruth.

“Help!” Ruth screamed, her voice masked by the water. I looked to each side frantically, not knowing what to do. I was too far away to help and everybody was moving too slow.

“I’m slipping!” she yelled, informing everyone.

Cove went down on one knee, grabbing her arm tightly. He yanked her up, but it only emanated a scream of pain. He winced and waited for Eli. When Eli finally appeared, he grabbed her other arm. Simultaneously, they both pulled upwards. Cove let go and Eli set her down. I looked at her, she was shaking and nervously thanked both of them. She walked has far away as she could from the side of the building.

Eli looked towards, expecting to me jump after what I just saw. I bit my lip, worry now clouding through my mind.

I took a step back and then another, when I heard an unfamiliar sound. It sounded like something was beating the sky with a flying stick. I turned to see a black helicopter, heading straight for me. It went lower and lower from the sky, going abnormally fast than a regular helicopter. I was frozen to the spot, like a deer in headlights. I wanted to move, but couldn’t because I was so transfixed.

The side to the helicopter was open, and somebody was halfway out, their pale arm sticking out.

“Benji?” I said crudely, mouth slightly agape.

And it was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fun fact #13: Ruth is deathly afraid of heights.

Not hard to tell, huh?

Sorry, it took me so long. I was reading the monstorous book called "Under The Dome" by Stephen King. It's a good Sci-Fi book. But, it's so biiiig! xD

Enjoy! :}