Status: Underwater. Blub, blub, blub.

The Day Before

Escape.

You know that dream where you’re falling off a cliff, but you can’t really feel yourself falling? You can’t feel the air around you, or hear it. You’re not screaming or anything, but once you hit the ground, you instantly jerk back to consciousness?

Well, I thought that if I did something outrageous I would wake up from this nightmare. Right now, I felt as though I was falling off a cliff, but I didn’t scream or do anything.

I propped myself up on the ledge, looking down at my reflection from the water. I took a deep breath, when I heard Dash bark loudly. I took a glance at him, ignored him, and…didn’t jump in.

I saw the back of a human carcass floating aimlessly in the water. It’s clothes were torn and burned away, leaving black marks. There were bruises and cuts that were bleeding into the water. It floated downwards, like it was just a piece of driftwood in a river. I choked back my dry heaving and dropped down to my knees. I kept my gaze at the body, it was slowly, but surely sinking into the water. I turned away and jumped off the ledge, my knees were wobbly and my hands were shaking with nervousness.

I sat down and brought my knees to my chest, breathing in deeply. This is just a dream, just a dream, just a dream, my mind repeated over and over, trying to give me comfort. But, it was all in vain, since I knew that this couldn’t be a dream. It felt too real. The sun was too hot. I could smell the green water’s odor. Too real.

I wanted to remember what happened the day before. But as many times as I racked my brain for information, my mind would just go blank. And I knew I didn’t have amnesia, because I remembered the time when I dyed my brown hair red, and regretted it. I remembered my friends Sarah and Amy. Sarah was going to get her first boyfriend and Amy was trying really hard not to hit on him. I remembered on my 5th birthday, when my Dad bought me a bicycle without training wheels and my mom had baked me a homemade cake. I remembered when I first got Dash as a little vulnerable puppy, I just…remembered so much. I didn’t understand how I couldn’t remember what happened the day before. I sighed frustratingly, giving up trying to remember.

I tried to place my hands on the pavement, but I swear I could hear a sizzle, because the ground was so hot. I picked myself up, dusting off my heated shorts. My hair reached over my shoulders, and I was glad it wasn’t so long. I checked my wrists for a hair tie, quickly finding one. I made a sloppy ponytail and shakily propped myself onto the ledge.

I covered the top of my forehead with my hand, trying to shade my eyes to see anything out in the horizon. I looked to my left, then to my right. And while I was looking to my right I spotted a pink flare, quickly making it’s way to the ledge. I squinted my eyes, trying to get a better view of the flare.

It turned out that the pink flare was actually a pink inner tube. An over sized inner tube. I could vaguely remember who the former owner was. A little girl; she used to have a Chihuahua named Munchie, and she loved to go in her pool. But, I didn’t know her that well, so I couldn’t remember anything else.

I flapped my hands in the wind, trying to get the inner tube to come closer to the ledge. And miraculously it did. Once it was close enough I dragged it onto the ledge and with a wet smack it hit the pavement. I noticed the inside was dry, I looked into the hole and found out it had a thin dark pink covering on the bottom. Thus, making the inside dry. I knew that we couldn’t just float in the water and wait to be discovered, so I waited for a big enough stick to float by.

The sun’s rays weren’t so harsh has before, so I knew it had to be around 3 or 4 o’ clock. But, that was Florida sun for you. I’ve lived in Florida for the whole of my 16 years and I didn’t have loathe for it as much as I did today. My father always told me “Which is better, having a sun or no sun at all?” I remembered the cheesy grin he pulled when I told him I’d rather have no sun. Nostalgic feelings welled up inside me and I bit them back, not wanting to think about it.

While I was on the ledge trying to look for a decent-sized stick, I felt and heard something plop down my cheek. I touched my face and felt that I had been crying. I put a hand to my mouth and tried to blink back the stubborn tears, but to no avail. I cried silently, wiping the tears away with my arm. I took a deep breath and continued for my search. I had to be brave, no matter what.

After a few more minutes, I finally found a stick that would be good for a paddle. I stomped on the end of it, making it flat in a matter of seconds. I tested it out near the ledge, it made ripples and didn’t break.

And now I had a way off the building’s roof.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fun fact #2: Violet's dog is actually named after my dog. I was a little too lazy to pick out another name.

I hate long chapters, so here's a short one. Just for you guys. ;}