Status: For Contest. Complete!

"Promise Me."

Even If It Meant Dying...

“In life, you sometimes think everything would go well. The person you have the hugest crush would realize how hot you actually are and ask you out. You would go out for a while and then get married. Your wedding would be the most perfect-est thing ever. No exes running through the door and trying to kill you or, even worse, trying to steal your soon to be spouse from you. No problems, next crisis’s, or, God forbid, a runaway bride or groom.

Then, after your wedding, you’ll do the couple thing and be happily in love. Soon, you’ll want to have kids and you’ll have the time to... email the stork about it. Once you have your little children, life will be the best thing ever. And then, you’ll live happily ever after.

That almost never happens. If there are happy endings, you have to earn them. You cannot just sit around and think that things like that just happen, because they won’t if you do that.

Even if you are on the right tracks, life likes having setbacks. Like, I don’t know, the second Wizarding War. I didn’t ask for it. No one did.”

----------

“George, watch your back!” The brunette exclaimed as a red beam of light shot right past her shoulder and headed towards George. Bellatrix le Strange. Why didn’t that surprise her? She’s been angry at her since, well, since she was sorted into Ravelclaw. Was it her fault that she was forced into a Death Eater family? No. Was it her fault that she was constantly being chased by Death Eaters? Yeah, probably. You see, before she was put in jail, Bellatrix adopted a child. An adorable little girl, named—

“Nicolette le Strange, why would you warn that little scoundrel of what I was about to do?” Bellatrix shouted at me. That’s right she was Nicole’s mum. Not her birth mother, just her adoptive mom.

After she was put in jail, the housekeeper took care of little Nicolette. She changed Nicole’s last name to hers, Naudine. She was more of a maternal figure than Bellatirx. The brunette refused to call Bellatrix her mother. She was trying to kill Nicole’s best friends! Nicole was on the good guys’ side, though. Nicole had double crossed people so many times that no one knew where her heart really was. Currently, she was fighting against a death Eater, but Bellatrix said he was a traitor anyways, so she thought Nicole was on her side. Silly woman.

“Nicole!” A voice shouted. She knew this voice. She remember when she first heard it.

“What about the astral?” a frightened voice asked. Nicole giggled. She had just told this story to two gingers on the train. Apparently, she very convincing.

“Mr. Weasley, what in the world is an ‘astral’?” Professor McGonagall asked.

“It’s a monster. It looks like a dragon, but it doesn’t have a tail. It’s about 2 times larger than the average dragon, too!” She was doing all she could to not burst out laughing. “The eyeballs are orange and they can spout fire! The astral will set anyone who is bad on fire!” She couldn’t help it anymore. She had to laugh.

“Miss, do you have a problem with this?” McGonagall asked.

Nicolette giggled. “No.” The older woman looked satisfied, so she turned and led them into the Great Hall. The young ginger was looking at his brother crossly for laughing with her.


A loud scream came from in front of her. The same voice as at first. She’d heard it scream before, too.

“Nicolette Estelle Naudine, if you don’t come down out this instant, I’ll have to think!” he semi-threatened.

Nicole was a Ravenclaw, so if he wanted to come in, he would have to answer a question from the door knob. She giggled. He seemed to have the power to make her giggle. “You’re a fifth year, go ahead and think!” From inside, she could hear the door knob ask him a question. He tried to answer it. Again. And again. And again. She just sat next to the door and laughed. Sure the Ravenclaws were looking at her, but that was okay.

A loud scream came from outside. Nicolette ran outside to see what was wrong. There he was, on the floor, hands to his head. “What happened?” she asked.

“Stupid questions.”

“I told him not to try.” His twin informed me.

“I guess thinking made his brain explode.” She answered.


His body lay there on the floor. No. No. No. He couldn’t be. Tears came to her face.

He looked so peaceful on the bed. His ginger hair was all messy and not neat like usual. His hair was not long anymore; Nicolette had just cut it for him a week ago. His twin was sitting next to her. They didn’t know when he would wake up, if ever.

After a while, the other ginger got up and left. Seeing his other half almost dead was too much for him.

She sat there with the unconscious boy, putting her fingers in his hair, like she had always wanted to. “I love you.” She said with tears at the corner of her eyes, threatening to fall. “Please don’t go.” She leaned down to kiss his cheek but suddenly she felt something soft against her lips. They were moving, too! Opened my eyes to see that he was kissing her. He was kissing her! She pulled them apart.

“Wait, shouldn’t you be, I don’t know, knocked out?” the brunette exclaimed.

“Actually, I’ve been up since George left. I was just too lazy to do anything. Now come back.” He replied pulling her back towards him.


She smiled at the thought and a warm tear rolled down her cheek. Nicole leaned down towards him. Maybe, it’ll work again. She kissed him, but he didn’t respond.

“Promise me you’ll be with me forever and not leave. Ever. Even if someone hotter comes around.” He stuck out his pinky.

She pretended to hesitate. An expression of fear grew on his face. “Hm.. maybe.” The fear became more visible. She laughed. “I’m kidding! I promise.” She said, locking her finger with his.


There was no way he had just lost his life to save her. With the last of his strength, he moved his hand up to her face and wiped a tear away. “Oh, please don’t cry over me.” He said, uttering his last words.

She twisted her pinky around his. "I won't."

With that, he slipped away. The love of her life was gone. Gone.

----------

As Nicollete uttered those words, a smile grew to her lips. She giggled as tears fell down her cheeks.

“I told you she wasn’t on our side! She smiling that he’s dead!” Percival Weasley shouted.

“Honey, are you okay?” Molly asked her. The poor girl was crying and laughing at the same time. And this was right after she spent a year showing no emotion at all.

Nicole wiped her tears away with the sleeve of her sweater. It smelled like him. Probably because he wore it so much. It was the sweater that Molly had made for her. It had an “n” on it, as in Nicolette. Of course, it was orange and he had liked it so much better than his, so he wore it a lot. “No, Molly I’m fine.” She replied grinning from ear to ear.

The dead ginger’s brother charged at her. Only to be restrained by Harry and Ronald. “He loved you! He loved you as much as he loved me, possibly more!”

"Calm down, Nicole. Step away from the edge of the building. You don’t have to do this!” Ginerva shouted.

“I’m sorry Ginny I do. Please, please keep one thing in mind. Please. Promise, Ginny.” Nicolette stuck her pinky out.

“I won’t let you do this!” Ginny shouted.

“Promise me!” Nicole exclaimed.

Ginny stuck her pinky out shakily and they made a pinky promise. “Please, don’t go.” She begged with tears in her eyes.

“I’m sorry. Please smile when you think of me or him. He would’ve wanted you to. I want you to.” Nicole uttered as she took anther step towards the end. She turned around and faced everyone. The Weasleys, Harry, Hermione all had worried looks on their faces. “He wouldn’t have died if it weren’t for me. Now, I’m going to meet him. Good-bye all. I’ll miss you. Please, please smile.” Fake grins grew on everyone’s tear stained faces as the beautiful brunette leapt off the building to go meet her beloved.

Pain inflicted her as she landed. Everything felt broken, but one thing had mended, during the jump. As she slipped away, she could’ve sworn she heard her beloved’s voice say, “What took you so long?” The smile on her face grew as she saw Fred Weasley waiting for her. Her heart was no longer torn when she was with him. She had promised to always be beside him. Even if it meant dying...
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw... sad ending. I had absolutely no idea where I was going with this, at the beginning. I don't like it that much. It's a bit confusing. Maybe that's because this started as a George story, but somehow morphed into a Fred story. Comment?