Status: Complete

Turning A Page

-14-

"You weren't supposed to see me looking so horrible," I explained to Zacky, who'd asked why I made him shut his eyes. "Guess I screwed that up though," I laughed.

"Horrible? You can't be talking about the same woman I was looking at. She was beautiful, she always is." Yes, the man can be as cheesy as an extra cheese pizza with a cheesy crust, but as soon as you see his face you can't help but grin and accept a compliment like that.

We were making our way back down the stairs, not wanting to face the wrath of Eve or Val for taking too long. I didn't really want to go outside and be met with whatever Johnny had to say, assuming he had anything he wanted to say to me. It was such a weird feeling to be mad at him; it felt as though he'd stabbed me in the heart with his words earlier.

About half way down the staircase I felt Zacky's hand brush my own, his fingers gently curling to interlock with mine. Glancing across at him, he had a small, unsure, almost questioning smile adorning his pouty lips. Once he realised I was smiling back at him, however, his face lit up and he leaned down to place a small peck on the back of our entwined hands. Luckily no one was inside the house, I'm sure we never would've heard the end of it if anyone had seen the small affectionate gesture. No offense to Zacky at all, but I still wasn't overly sure of whether I wanted to go anywhere with him. I liked being around him, and knowing he cared about me gave me butterflies, but was I ready for Johnny's reaction? I knew it more than likely wouldn't be a happy one, especially now that we were fighting.

Zacky could obviously sense my hesitation at going outside. We had made it into the kitchen and he was slowing our pace. Stopping before we would be seen through the windows, he pulled my hand into him so I would turn and face him. Forcing my eyes upwards to meet his he spoke gently, "It's going to be ok. You don't have to talk to him. Just stay with me if you're not comfortable." I nodded slightly, my eyes dropping back to the space between our bodies where our hands were still clasped together, not sure I was ready to confront Johnny. Pulling my hands away from Zacky's protesting ones I reached forward to hold him tightly in a hug. His made their way to my waist as he pulled me in even closer. "Ok, ready to go?" he asked as I reluctantly pulled back.

"I guess so." With that, I made my way to the door with Zacky following close behind. I went straight to the cooler to grab Zacky and I a beer each, ignoring the lull in conversation that had appeared with my entrance. Sitting on the opposite side of the patio to Johnny was a welcome initiative from Zacky. Even though I could see him in my peripheral vision, I was glad he wasn't right next to me. Johnny was watching our interactions closely and it looked like he was fighting himself on whether to come over or not.

The girls had come over as soon as I'd sat down next to Zacky, and perched themselves on the arms of our chairs. They were making an effort to act as if nothing had happened, and I was grateful they weren't asking if I was ok.

Johnny must've resolved his internal war because he was rising and making his way cautiously towards us. As he got closer the conversation ceased and an arm reached into my lap to squeezed the hand lying there. Zacky was being true to his word, making me feel slightly comfortable with his gentle touch.

"Sar. I'm so sor..." I cut Johnny off quickly, standing up to face him eye to eye.

"I don't wanna hear it JC. Not now."

"But..."

"I said no, ok," I was getting annoyed. I didn't want to do this in front of everyone, and truthfully I was scared my temper would get the best of me, leading me to say things I didn't mean and would regret.

The pleading, sadness of his eyes faded into dejection as he turned away. Matt soon had a muscled arm draped over the small mans shoulder with a gentleness that belied his size and gruff appearance.

"Don't fight too long. This is tearing him apart, I know you can see it." I believe those were Val's Words of Wisdom for the day.