Status: In progress

Sanctuary

Luck

luck
n. def.
!. Chance, fourtune
2. Good fortune
3. Casey needs to survive

I don't know how long I kept running. I ran until I was hot, and my legs felt like they would collapse. I stopped in front of a corner drug store and tried to catch my breath. Not the smartest idea, let me tell you. I mean what do you expect? There's some random girl sitting on the corner! It's pretty rude to notice a girl sitting there looking all sad and not ask what's wrong. I ignored all the weird looks I recieved and gathered my thoughts together.

Okay, my mom's dead, nothing I can do about that. It gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach when I thought about it. I had to figure out what to do with myself. Keep walking or ask for help? I was exhausted from running. I looked up at the cloudy sky. Great, it's about to rain. I leaned agained the window, thinking, until I dozed off.

I woke up feeling groggy. I was still sitting in front of the store. I sighed and shifted around a bit, making myself comfortable. Suddenly, my foot rubbed up against something. Another leg. I turned my head sharply to find another boy sitting next to me. He was just sitting there staring at nothing and patting his thighs softly. His eyes were a slate grey and his hair was blonde and curly.

" Well, well, someone's finally up." He said smiling. He never even looked at me! What the hell?

"Uhh... yeah. How long was I sleeping?" I asked him, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"'Bout an hour." He answered. No way. There is no way he sat here for an hour while I was sleeping. He said nothing more. So I didn't try and make conversation. I reached into my bag and grabbed a Twizzler. After about five minutes I realized this guy obviously wanted something and wasn't going to move until he got it.

"Twizzler?" I offered him. He nodded and took the candy from me. He wolfed it down in two bites. Yeesh. "So, what do you want?"

"Actually, you looked a little sad. So I was wondering if you were okay." He said quietly. He sat here for an hour waiting for me to wake up, just to ask me if I was ok? Sweet. He was the only person who took the time to ask me that. Stupid. Does he not have better things to do? Guess not. Still, I wish all people were like this.

"Oh. Well, I'm not okay. Thanks for asking though." I responded, finishing my Twizzler. The sky was looking a very threatening grey now.

"Evan." He said holing out one of his hands. He was looking straight at me now. I felt the blush creep up face. Oh God, why now?

"Casey." I answered shaking his hand. I swear, he held on to my hand a little longer than comfort. Or maybe, I was letting him get to my head.

"Well Casey. it's about to rain. I'm thinking you should come with me until the storm blows over." He says. I can't believe my luck. A place to stay at least until the storm is over! I'm tempted to say yes right away, but I'm not one who wants to look desperate.

"Suppose I don't want to go?" I say. Evan got up. No wait! Kidding dude!

"Then you can get soaked, and get picked up off some corner. I stayed here to protect you, you know." He says matter-of-factly. He had a point. I probably wouldn't be here still if he hadn't stayed. I'm grateful for that.

"Okay okay. I'm coming. Thanks for staying by the way." I thanked him, shyly. He helped me up, and we started walking. I honestly don't believe in love at all. But Evan's, really nice. He likes to play bass, and he's homeschooled. He's 17, and lives with two other girls and two boys, none of which he mentioned as brother or sister. Strange. He never mentioned parents either.

We turned a corner and I pretty much froze in my tracks. There is no way I could have possibly walked the streets of this town and not seen this house. But yet, there it was. A mansion inside an average town. Wow.

"Wow. Who lives there?" I asked Evan as we started walking again.

"I do." He says shrugging like it's no big deal. No big deal? How'd his parents get all that money? I noticed three cars in the driveway. A black truck, a blue motorcycle, and another silver car. I was now more curious than ever.

"Okay. Really. Who takes care of you?" I asked him. Evan bites his lip, and looks away. He really doesn't want me to know? I'm going to find out either way. Sighing, he finally spilled.

"Joseph Lombardo." He answered me. The name rang a bell. He's that famous resturaunt owner. I've never gone to one of the resturants, even though I know one isn't far from here. He's, like, 33. The part that scared me: Joseph was also known to take in kids that needed help. Orphans.
His place is like a foster home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha yeah... Comment! :D