Closing Your Eyes Won't Make Me Disappear

The Preliminaries

"Congradualations to you all...on passing the Second Exam!!"
I glanced around.Only nine teams have made it in all.It surprised me that all of the people from the academy were in here.I glanced back to see all of the jonin,proctors,and the hokage there.
The one that creeped me out the most was the one at the very end.He seemed familiar.Maybe too familiar.
"Now Lord Hokage himself will explain about the Third Exam!Listen up and take every word he says to heart!"Anko says to us as the hokage steps up,"They're all yours,my lord."
"Very well,"the hokage says looking over at us now,"the Third Examination is about to commence but before I go into the specifics of how it will be conducted..let me make one thing perfectly clear!It pertains to teh underlying purpose the exam."
I frown slightly.The purpose?
"Why do you suppose an examination of this nature is being jointly conducted by all of the nations in our mutual allicane?!"
I frown even more still not getting it."To promote friendship among allied nations and raise the level and standards in the art of the shiinobi.Be very clear about what those fine-sounding phrases actually mean!This series of s-called examinations is,in fact a war-in-minature between all of our allied lands."
My eyes widen slightly at that.A miniature war?What?
"Wh-what do you mean?"Lee's teammate,Tenten asks besides me.
The hokage starts to explain all about I was begining to zone out feeling someone was looking at me.I glanced to the right to see the team that I had seen from the very beggining that didn't seem to sink into with the other teams.The boy was glaring at me.I frowned slightly feeling slightly nervous at that."That's the stupidest thing I ever heard!I thought the point was to select chunin!"Naruto shouted as the Hokage to correct him and tell him that it was true but it served as a battle field for the respective homelands.
I felt slightly angered at how he was puting it.That's why I didn't believe in the ninja way.They were practicly using us to get their lands more money and who was more powerful.
'You don't need to be reconized to be the best'
Another one of the rules in the Bushido that I followed alot and the ninja didn't.They fought to get more miliatary power and everything.They're puting us against each other just to see who is the strongest.Whether we win or die.
Finally,the proctor,Gekko Hayate steps up to explain.
He seemed in a bad condition.He looked very sick.
"Uh...before we start the exam...I must ask you all to do something for me...um..you see there are some preliminaries to the exam proper and whether you proceed to the main exam is contingent on how well you manage those,"he starts to explain and I frown.Prelimnaries?
"Preliminaries?Like what?!"Shikamaru shouts over to him."Well..I don't want to say that the first two exams weren't demanding enought but the truth is..we still have too many spplicants.under the traditional rules of the exam,we have to have a preliminary test...to rduce the number of applicants who'll proceed to the third exam,"he explains over to us.So it's like having four exams now?!
"As Lord Hokage mentioned,a number of honered guests will be observing you during the Third Exa, so we must make the exam intense,tight,and fast-moving.Hm..so anyway...now that you know something of what it's really all about,anyone who doesn't feel up to the challenge,either physically or mentally,can walk away.Just take one step foreward...because the preliminaries start...right now!"
"Now?!"Kiba demands shocked.Already?I don't think I've fully recovered...
I glanced around at the quiet room until a hand went up."Well...I'm outta here!"Kabuto's voice says as he rasies his hand.I blinked in surprise at the man."We'll go too,"his teammates says over to them and they nod.
"Kabuto,don't you wanna become a chunnin?!"Naruto shouted over to him shoicked and angry at the decision."Sorry Naruto,my bodies just too worn out and beat up to participate in anotehr round.I don't think I can make it,but good luck to you three!"he says giving us a small wave before walking out the room.I watched him and his teammates leave and then found my eyes back on Sasuke.
"Now then,would anybody else like to quit while they still can?"the hokage asks glancing around.I watched as Sasuke wince and hold his neck,where the mark was.My eyes immedietly narrowed and I felt uneasy."Sasuke,"I whispered making him look over to me."You shouldn't fight,"I finished to him and he seemed slightly taken back but then turned into a glare."Well that's too bad because it's not your position to tell me what to do,"he states back coldy but I wouldn't back down."Sasuke,"I say persisently.I was the type to let something go almost immedietly.I usually just shrug things off but I really didn't want to see my teammate get hurt for some reason.I just had this uneasy feeling.
"You protected us back in the fight,now it's time for me to return the favor,your in no condition to take on another fight,"I say almost irratated at Sasuke's stubborness.
"Gina,you don't understand.I have to get stronger,to kill him,I have to battle the best and test my skills,it's the only way,"he states to me almost in a pleading way to agree with him.
I let out a sigh pushing the uneasy feeling deep inside me trying to regain control of myself."Fine,but it's going to be like digging your own damn grave,your fault,so if you die,it's all on you,"I snap at him feeling anger rush through me.My glare on him was hard and he seemed taken back at my harshness since I was rarely mad around them.Usually the only one that got me like this was Tama.I looked away feeling the anger still dwell.
I really don't know why I was angry.
The fact that Sasuke was in no condition to fight and he is still going to battle.The reason he doesn't care if he gets hurt.The reason he doesn't give a damn about what I'm telling him.
Or the reason he's making me feel so damn worried about his sake.
"If that's everyone who's going to quit,we'll start with the first match."
Everyone looks up and names start to shuffle for a few seconds till finally names stop.
Ren Rin vs. Ronin Gina
Great.I'm up first.I really didn't have any luck.I let out a sigh as everyone starts to to leave up the stairs onto the rails."Good luck,"Sasuke states emotionlessly as he passes me without looking back."Yeah!Kick some butt Gina!"Naruto shouts already on the rails over to me grining and waving."Yeah!Go for it Gin!"Shouhei shouts practicly doing the same as Naruto.Both were hit by Sakura upside the head since both of our teams were right next to each other.
I turned my attention to the person I was fighting.It was the girl,the one with the team that had caught my attention.Her glare was one me and I could see she didn't like me one bit.I studied her silently feeling she was good at taijutsu and ninjutsu.I didn't feel the sort of ginjutsu aura in her.
'I'll show her that she's not the only one worth having freedom!'Rin thinks glaring at me harshly with all the hatred she felt.
"Okay,ready,set,go!"
Immedietly,Rin charged as if a lion was unleashed from it's cage since years.I immedietly blocked her punch and she tried to punch me with her other hand but I blocked it again.She did it over and over again quickly and all the times I blocked them.She tried to kick me but it was like we were mirroring each other just on diffrent styles.Defense and offense.
I could hear many people talking in the sidelines.I had sensed she was fast meaning I had to go her speed.I would guess that to the normal eye,we were almost like a blur to them.
My arms started to get soar and tired so I decided I needed to end this.Both of us seemed to be at the same level in speed and strength but I wasn't puting as much effort as I could.
This person clearly had talent with taijutsu but didn't seem to have enough.She still needed work.She fights recklessly and seemed to be pure on instinct and to fully master taijutsu you need to know the weakness and think about your moves.I finally pushed her back and she stumbled back but stayed in her feet slightly panting and sweating.
I was even sweating as well."You need more practice,spar with someone,it helps,"I state toward her and she glares even more as if I insulted her."You can't tell me what to do!"she growls charging back again but I caught her arm and twisted around so I was behind her holding her arm.
"I'm not,clearly listening is another one of the things you need work on.I gave you advice.Not an order,"I say emotionlessly to her.I usually got like this with a fight.I stayed as calm and surpressed all emotions deep inside me.I knew emotions only got in the way in combat.Rin is leting her emotions come before her mind.That could cost her her life one day.
She growls angrily turning to punch me but I move my head barely dodging it as I let go steping back from her."You think your better than any of us!Just because your out without anyone telling you what to do!"she growls as she starts doing handsigns."Earth Jutsu:Eye Pillars!"
My eyes snap to the ground where I could feel it shaking slightly.I frowning slightly as I tense up watiing for any kind of attack.Suddenly I felt it and jumped up just as a pillar made out of the earth flew up towards me.I took a kunai out and put it infront of me to try and block it since I was in the air and couldn't change my direction.Suddenly the pillar stoped and I frowned.
"Take this!"
I felt pain go through me as I fall on the ground hard.I landed hard on my stomache and I could here many people talking."Gina!"
I slowly got up pushing myself from the ground.My hands we're still shaking upon the impact that I took.Now I understood.I don't know why my eyes didn't catch it.She did the jutsu as a distraction while she came from behind me and attacked me.
"Not so tough now,huh?"
The girl,Rin,may not be as fast as I thought but her strength seemed to be at the same level as mine or even greater.I can't let her hit me again or it might be my last move.
I manage to get up though my legs were shaking slightly as I look at the girl who smirks at me though I could still hatred in her eye.
I let out a grunt as I wipe some blood of my cheek and move my hands slightly to loosen up my muscles."Your strong,"I state before disapearing from her view and behind her.I grab her into a strong headlock and twist myself form behind her to around her and knee her in the stomache quickly,"but I'm fast."
I use most of my strength to push her away from me and then charge at her punching her in the face.I continue to beat her up by punching her at all the vital places and kicking her quickly.I was using some of my most quick speed so for many eyes I was a blur.When I feel her weaken as she tells out.I focus chakara on my foot before kicking her the hardest I could and she went flying to the wall immedietly breaking most of it.Smoke came out as I panted watching the girl fall down though still consious.I walked over to her as she looked at me barely glaring now through her blue eyes.
I was right infront of her as I grab her by the throat squeezing slightly.
"Kill me,"she whispers glaring at me catching me by surprise."Kill me like you had many of your own clan killed,"she continues making me freeze immediely as realization struck.
Ren Rin.The Ren clan.The Ren clan was one of the few clans made as samurai's to serve the Manubu clan,a small but rich and powerful clan though not as powerful as the Nishi clan."Y-your..."
Her eyes soften and I could see pain in them."It's not fair..."she whispers as her muscles relax slightly,"how you can be free while we stay locked up...."
"I-I..."
"It's not fair..."she says as her eyes close and she falls limp under my arm.I immedietly catch her and just stare at her in shock."Rin!"
My eyes snap over to where one of her teammates,the boy with the brown hair and brown eyes comes over worriedly over to us.He immedietly takes her from my grasp picking her up.He looks to me but instead of glaring they just looked longing."Sorry about her...she holds a grudge on refugees like you even though she knows we've all been through hell in those places,"he says giving me a half-hearted smile as paramedics start to come for her though her injuries weren't as bad.
"The winner of the first round is,Ronin Gina!"
I let out a sigh as I try to control myself but my emotions were taking over.What did she mean when she said I caused my family to die?What did they do after I escaped?I felt my hands were shaking uncontrolably as thoughts of my brother being dead came to mind.
I slowly walked upstairs where my team was where they came running to me immedietly."You did it,Gin!"Shouhei shouts grining at me proudly."Yeah..."I mutter trying to get away from them."That was so cool!You were so fast!I could barely see you fighting!"Naruto shouts over to me and I continued trying to walk past them without talking.I was fast long before I knew Naruto.I just didn't show him my true speed yet because I didn't find the need.
"Good job,Ronin,"both Tami and Sakura say over to me as I walk past them over where Sasuke and Kakashi were standing looking at me."Good job!I thought you'd lose against her when she started to use ninjutsu but you surprised us!"Kakashi greets me smiling udner his mask.I grunt as I lean agaisnt the wall and slide down feeling my legs start shaking as I finally land on the ground.
"What's up with you?You won."
I forced my eyes to look up at Sasuke who was frowning looking down at me."I-I..."I choke out as he looks down at my hands and I quickly hid them away but by the look on his face it looked like he saw them shaking."What happened?Did she injure you badly somewhere?"he asks crouching by me grabing my hand and examining it.I quickly snatched it away stuffing it in my pockets as if his touch burned me.
"Next match."
He seemed taken back from my action since I've touched him before and seemed slightly hurt though didn't show it on his face but his eyes.I glanced up at the screen.
Uchiha Sasasuke vs. Jun Aki
"It's your turn,"I state to him and he finally snaps out of it and looks up to see his name.He looks back at me but stands up and starts to walk away.I looked back at the arena to see the guy from earlier who had picked up the girl standing there.Jun.
The Jun clan is a small clan that is more like servants than samurai though sometimes some come out being fighters.The clan is very small and usually less powerful clans hire them.That makes two clans from Amarente here.I don't know why their here but if they know who I am,they might come after me.
I felt myself shaking more but tried to control myself to watch Sasuke's match but my nerves kept coming back up.
What if they did comce to take me back?Samurai and Ninja are both two diffrent things.
Ninja serve for anyone with money or power.Samurai only serve for their master which can only be one person who they shall be loyal forever.That's the way of the Bushido.The way of a samurai.
"Whoa!"
My eyes snaped to the battle missing most of it by now.I felt pain as I watched Sasuke doing a 'Lion's Barrage' that seemed similiar to Lee's move.I watched as the Jun was smashed into the ground unconsious.I felt pain as I watch someone from my homelands on the ground in pain.I ignored my feelings and turned my attention to Sasuke who looked in a bad shape.I told him not to battle.
I quickly got up finally controlling myself and jump of from the rails over to Sasuke."I told you,"I snaped at him and he winced but said nothing.He was probably to tired to answer.
"Gina,help me with him,we have some things to do,"Kakashi says appearing by us and I look at him before noding and taking Sasuke by puting his hand aorund my shoulder and going over to Kakashi.We left using a transportation jutsu and were now in what looked like a chamber.
I glanced around holding onto Sasuke so he wouldn't fall."Are you gonna....seak the mark...?"
I galnced at Sasuke as Kakashi beganed to work on something over by a circle."I guess..."I say really not so sure myself.We stayed quiet waiting on Kakashi to finish up.
"Sorry...for not listening...but I had too..."
I glanced over at Sasuke who was looking at the ground actually looking sorry."I just had to win..."he muttered and I just stayed quiet looking back at Kakashi."It's alright,"I say looking back at Kakashi who seemed finish and gestured us over."C'mon,"I say moving us over to where he was standing.
I put him down softly before steping back."Okay,take your shirt off."
He seemed taken back and frowned confused."No.Why?"
"So Kakashi-sensai can see the curse mark better,"I snap at him feeling more impatient that I'm used to and his face went slightly pink as he took it off.I felt jumpy inside as he took it off and laid it on the floor."Okay,step away Gina,don't want something to go wrong,"Kakashi says gesturing me and I nod as I step back from them watching as Kakashi did some handsigns.He then placed his hands on Sasuke's mark and Sasuke screaming in pain and was unconsious in seconds.I clenched my fist to fight the urge to go over to him and help him.
"It's done,now it's all up to him and his willpower to keep that curse mark at bay,"Kakashi muttered and I just noded looking at Sasuke and started to walk over to him.
"Kakashi,I didn't think you knew that jutsu,really you've come a long way from when I last saw you."
The famliiar voice made my body freeze and my heart seemed to stop beating as I turn to see the guy form the Forest of Death.
"Gina,get out from here,"Kakashi orders in the same conditiont as me."Ah,the famous Ronin Gina people seemed to just have found out about!Such a gift born in such poorly village,"he says in the sickening voice in him and I felt anger go through me immedietly."You bastard!"I shout angrily as he talked about my homelands charged at him but Kakashi did his transportation jutsu hand signs over to me."I'm sorry,Gina,but I can't risk you in the same condition as Sasuke."
"B-"
Before I could finish I found myself back in the arena.I let out a growl in anger as I clench my fist angrily."Your back!I was wondering where you guys had gone!Look!It's Kankuro vs. Shouhei!"Naruto's voice cuts me back from my anger and my eyes immedietly go to the arena where I seee a bloody Shouhei by Kankuro who also seemed pretty beat up thought not as much."Shouhei..."
I immedietly walk over to the rail looking closely at my friend struggling to stand up."It's over!"
Kankuro goes after him with some kind of thing charging at him."Shouhei!Move!"I shout feeling worried at his sake feeling impatiently as I watched the thing charge at him."Move!Dammit!"
I was about to jump in when someone beat me there.My eyes widened when I see Tami standing there blocking the things path."It's over!"he shouts at him causing Kankuro to stop just as Shouhei starts falling.Tami notices and immedietly catches him.I let out a sigh as I jump off and run over to him."Shouhei...you there?"I ask leaning in as the paramadics come over.
"He's exauhxted.Lost a lot of blood as well but seems he'll make it through,"Tami mutters looking down at his teammate."Why'd you interfere?"I ask looking up to him making our eyes meet.He says four words that made me change my view about him throughout the years I've known him.
"He's also my friend."