Confused

Awkward Situations

I rushed to the mall and waited.

Five minutes late. He's probably waiting for the guys.

Ten minutes late. Bad traffic.

Fifteen minutes late. I'll just order ahead.

Twenty five minutes late. He's going to stand me up.

Thirty minutes. I knew this was a bad idea.

I took my coffee and stood up, moving towards the exit when I bumped into someone, spilling my drink on myself.

"Fuck."

"Shit. Sorry Frank."

I looked up to be met by Bert and Jepha. Jepha, holding a box and Bert frantically looking for tissues. I just took the tissues from the table I just left and wiped myself. Good thing I ordered iced coffee today.

"Man, sorry we were late. The traffic was terrible and Jepha here was being a lazy git."

"It's okay."

The three of us left the shop and walked around. They were talking about some random stuff while I did my best to avoid the kids scrambling around the mall.

"Frank? You're being awfully quiet today, man. What's up?"

"Nothing Jeph. Just thinking."

Bert wrapped his arm around my waist while Jepha had his arm around my shoulders.

"Well stop you're lonely thinking and enjoy your birthday man."

They were grinning like crazy and it was pretty contagious. I smiled and we went inside the first shop that caught our attention. A CD store. How predictable are we?

"Hey look! They have the Maroon 5 album. I'm buying this one."

"Nice pick Iero. We all know how hot Adam Levine is."

"Whatever Jeph."

We spent most of our time in that store and bought almost all the CD's we could find. At least the CD's that were bands. Just as we were leaving though, I bumped into another person.

"Sorry...hey...Frank. Happy Birth----"

He looked up from me to the people behind me and his eyes were filled with hurt and jealousy.

How could you Frank...

"Hey Gerard. What're you doing here?"

"Shopping. Looking around. Mikey's off buying some candies with Alicia. Ray and Bob are having coffee with their girlfriends. How about you?"

"Hanging out with Bert and Jepha."

"Hey Gerard."

"Hey Jepha."

What are you doing with these people?!

"Well...we were just leaving Gee. See you around. Come on Bert. Jeph."

I dragged them outside and Gerard called toour retreating backs My retreating back,

"I called you Frank. You weren't there to pick up."

I had to fight back the tears as I almost ran away. I left Bert and Jepha while I fled. The disappointment in his voice just hurts.

I was outside the mall and it was raining hard. Just like my tears.

"Frank! Are you okay?"

I was on the parking lot, crying my eyes out but they wouldn't know. The rain hid my tears.

Bert held me. As tightly as possible. He was whispering things to me but they didn't mean anything. At least, I think they don't. I was hyperventilating already. The world was going in slow motion and it was spinning. I was cold. I was shivering and I couldn't hear what he was saying. Even if I wanted to.

Then his lips were on mine and all the warmth I needed came back to me but in the corner of my eye, I saw something that froze me again.

Gerard saw me kissing Bert.