Status: A contest entry :)

Returning Fluffy

A Short Story

“I’m going out for a jog, Mom!” I yelled into the house as I slipped out the front door into the cool summer morning. It had stormed all night, and puddles made their peace in any dip they could find. I jogged in place on the doorstep and stretched my arms above my head, warming up for a calming jog.

I breathed in the air and started down the sidewalk when I heard a soft, persistent mew from the bushes. I redirected myself to follow the sounds and looked under the dripping branches and leaves of a bush.

A small white kitten, with bright blue eyes and an adorable pink button nose crouched there, its long fur spiked with dampness. It meowed again and stepped towards me, trembling.

“Aww,” I said softly, getting on hands and knees to get it. “C’mere, kitty,” I cooed, scooping the shivering kitten into my arms. It purred gratefully. “Where’s your owner, huh?” I scratched it under the chin and it closed its eyes in pleasure. It sneezed violently and I hugged it closer. “Let’s go blow dry you and then go find your owner, okay?”

I carried the white kitten into my house and sneaked to my room. My father was allergic to cats and was still in bed. I was thankful the kitten stayed quiet. I locked the door behind me and set it down gently on the bed. It sat there, quaking worse than San Francisco in an earthquake. I quickly dressed into something more appropriate than my running clothing. I chose a blue summer dress and a pink short-sleeve jacket. When I turned back to the kitten, it was trying to lick itself dry. Its pink tongue rasped over its paw and it rubbed its paw over its face. It was almost too cute to bear.

I picked up my hair dryer from its place on the floor and began to blow the kitten dry. It behaved well through this ordeal, though it gave me pitiful eyes. Soon, I had it to its original white fluffiness. I picked it up and held it to my face. “I’m gonna call you Fluffy,” I cooed, allowing it to rub its nose across my face.

I found a basket and put Fluffy in it. Fluffy was a little too big for the basket, but it would be okay for now. I snuck back out and hurried down the road.

The first people I encountered were a few pre-teens playing soccer, not quite into puberty, but too old to be called children. “Hi,” I said, stopping their intense game. A couple of the boys eyed my long legs, and the girls hurried over to me and began to pet Fluffy. “Do you guys recognize this kitten?”

One of the more confident girls smiled sadly. “No, but I wish she was mine.” The other girls giggled and nodded and the boys rolled their eyes.

“Well, thank you,” I said sincerely and started on my search again.

Next I came upon an elderly couple sitting in rocking chairs on their front porch. “Hello,” I called as I walked up the ramp in front of their quaint house. “Do you two know who owns this kitten?”

The lady smiled, her wrinkled skin crinkling even more so at her warm brown eyes. “No,” she said in a quivery voice, “but that sure is one beautiful kitty cat.”

“Oh, thank you! I found it in my front yard. The poor thing was drenched to the bone!” It was a heavy exaggeration, but that’s what old people like, right?

The man frowned at me, like he had just now realized I was there. “Get off my property!” he growled.

He was obviously senile, but his wife smacked him gently on the arm. “Horace!” she rasped and then turned to me apologetically. “I’m so sorry,” she said, her voice full of embarrassment.

“Oh, it’s no problem,” I said with a cheery smile. “Have a nice day, okay?” I hurried away, petting Fluffy comfortingly.

I saw some boys from my school skateboarding, but I didn’t feel like putting up with them and their immaturity. I kept going until I was about two miles away from my house. I was about ready to give up when I got near the meadows of our suburb. Houses were further apart here. The houses were also smaller and more child-friendly. I continued, deciding that I would head back home in another half a mile.

After about a quarter of a mile into the last bit of my journey, Fluffy started to sniff the air, its eyes going wide. It squirmed in the basket and meowed up at me in frustration when I held it down. “Are we near your home, Fluffy?”

I saw a young child and her mother in a yard a house or so away from where I stood, struggling with Fluffy. I took a deep breath and walked up to them and held Fluffy out in the basket. “Hi, do you own this cat?” I asked.

The girl squealed with excitement and rushed towards me and Fluffy. “Boo!” she shrieked, picking up the kitten. Though she was young, she handled the kitten with a humanity and maturity not found in girls her age.

Her mother came up behind her and put her hand on her daughter’s head. “Thank you,” she said happily. “You don’t know how upset Liz was about losing her kitten.” She smiled and ran her fingers through the little girl’s hair. “Why don’t you go and give Boo her food,” she told her.

The little girl nodded enthusiastically and rushed into the house. Boo looked back at me over the girl’s shoulder and I could’ve sworn the white fluff-ball smiled at me.

The mother turned back at me. “Where’d you find her?”

“Oh, in my front yard under the bushes,” I said, pointed my thumb over my shoulder towards the general direction of my house.

“I hope you didn’t go through too much trouble to find us.”

“No trouble at all,” I assured her. Just about three miles. No big deal.

She sighed happily. “Liz had left the back door open and when it started to thunder last night, Boo just shot off. I can’t thank you enough.”

“Oh, it’s no problem. Boo was a cutie.” I forced a smile on my face. “I’d better get back home.” I started to go down the road when the front door of the house flew open again and the girl tackled me around the waist.

“Thank you so so much!” Liz smiled up at me, her face full of childish joy.

My throat thrummed with heat, my nose tingled, and the area behind my eyes pinched with tears. I cleared my throat. “Oh, it’s fine. Just make sure to take good care of her, okay?”

Liz giggled and ran back inside, tugging her mom behind her. “You should see Boo, mommy, she’s as hungry as a hippo!”

Her mother laughed and shut the door behind her, and I was left in the cloudy summer morning alone with only a basket and a few cat hairs on my jacket to mark the events of the day.