My Friends Are A Different Breed

Three.

“You’re it!” Alex yelled, before turning and running through the rows of seats in the stadium. I rolled my eyes and chased after him. He started jumping over the seats and promptly fell on his face.

“Emmy!” he screamed.

“Yes Alex,” I managed to get out between laughs.

“My head hurts, will kiss it to make it feel better?” he pleaded, jutting out his bottom lip.

“Yeah, yeah,” I laughed and leaned over the seat and kissed his forehead.

“Better!” he shot up,” Come on, let’s go check out the stage!”

He grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him. Standing on the stage, looking out at the countless seats that would soon be filled up, I felt my heart beat faster. We had performed many times before, but this was different. We had never played to so many people at once before.

“Hey,” he said, gently squeezing me hand,” you guys are ready for this. You’re going to be great, I promise.”

I smiled in return, and was soon distracting by giggling coming from the wings of the stage.

“Who is that?” I asked.

Alex shrugged, “Let’s go find out,”

We stealthily crept to the curtain and peaked around the corner. “Well lookie there,” Alex whispered. There was Katie, with Jack attacking her mouth like there was no tomorrow. “Wanna make this awkward?” I nudged Alex. He shot me a mischievous grin and we ran out and jumped on them both. Katie screamed and Jack jumped about five feet in the air.

“Alex, I’m going to kill you I swear!” he yelled, as Alex took off running.

I turned to a blushing Katie who refused to meet my eyes.

“So…” I nudged her.

“We were just looking around, and then got distracted,” she muttered.

“Oh really?” I said, sticking my tongue out.

“Yep! Now come on, we need to go get ready for the show,” she said, trying to change the subject.

“And find your boy toy?” I questioned, but followed her lead.