‹ Prequel: It's Almost Easy

Such a Surreal Place

Meeting The Parents

Mel knocked on the door to her parent’s house. Zacky was next to her, holding her hand, and I was right behind her. Of course, Syn was right next to me and the rest of the band followed behind us. This was the night Zacky was (hopefully) going to get permission from Mel’s parents and then tomorrow he was going to propose to her, then get married, straight away. Well, if she said yes.

“Melissa!” her father greeted her after he opened the door.

“Daddy!” she squealed as she embraced him in a soft hug.

“Melissa? Is that you, honey?” I heard her mother calling.

“Yes, it’s her!” her father called back. “You must be Zacky?”

“Yes. Nice to meet you, sir,” Zacky answered, shaking Mel’s father’s hand firmly. You could tell he was almost shitting himself.

“Ah, Ashleigh, so nice to see you again!” he said after Mel and Zacky had walked inside the house. He gave me a quick friendly hug. “Who’s this you have with you?”

“This is Brian,” I replied and they shook hands. We followed Mel and Zacky and I stood there introducing the rest of the band (as Matt, Johnny and Jimmy, not Shadows, JC and Rev) who all shook hands as well. Syn had his hand on my lower back and he led me gently away after Mel, who had gone into the dining room where her Mom was. I could hear them giggling together.

“You’re a very handsome boy,” her mother complimented Zacky as we entered the room. “Ashleigh! Lovely to see you again!”

“You too, Mel’s Mom,” I said with a smile.

“Who’s the beautiful man?” she asked me, noticing that Syn had his arm on me.

“Brian,” I answered, my smile getting even larger. Damn, was I proud and happy that I was with him!

“Nice to meet you, Mel’s Mom,” he said sweetly as the rest of the band filed into the dining room too.

“Could I ask for a hand in the kitchen?” she asked and me and Mel automatically volunteered. Zacky did too.

“No Zacky, stay here,” I urged. As much as he wanted to be nice, he had to try getting the old man alone and then asking him for Mel’s hand in marriage.

“Yeah. You really can’t cook, hun,” Mel joked and Zacky agreed to stay behind.

“Zacky, boy, come give me a hand, will ya?” Wow. How did Mel’s dad just read my mind? “Gotta get some good alcohol out for ya.”

“Of course,” Zacky answered. This was his big opportunity. I hoped he was going to take it.

*Half an hour later*

Zacky seemed nervous as hell. Maybe he chickened out? Maybe he just wanted to desperately impress her parents? I’m not too sure, but he wasn’t being Zacky anyway...

*5 minutes later*

I took my plate into the kitchen. Zacky appeared behind me almost instantly.

“I have to impress him majorly tonight. He’s gonna base his decision on tonight. TONIGHT!” he hissed as we placed our dirty plates and glasses on the bench. “I’m gonna fuck this up, aren’t I?”

“No. You’re gonna stay calm. You’re gonna be fine!” I reassured him quietly and Matt entered the kitchen. I left and I heard them whispering about the situation. I headed back over to the table and I saw Syn look up at me. God, I can’t explain how much I love those brown eyes... He was still finishing off his meal, but all his attention went away from his food and went onto me. I dunno what look he had in his eyes, but I liked it.

*2 hours later*

It was time to leave. We had stayed for long enough and the boys needed a decent sleep before their next show. I could see Zacky’s nerves increase as everyone started standing up and saying goodbye. We all exited the house, apart from Mel and Zacky. I waited outside the front door, trying to listen in to their conversation...

“Aw, we’re gonna miss you,” Mel’s Mom said sadly.

“Me too. Well, I’d better go before they leave without me,” Mel joked and I heard them move towards the door. Mel appeared and smiled at me.

“And Zacky...” Mel’s father said as Mel walked down the steps with me. I saw out of the corner of my eye Zacky turning around and looking at her parents. They both stood in the doorway, her father had his arm around his wife and they looked so proud and joyful. “That’s a ‘yes’ from us.” I saw Syn stop walking and turn around to look for me. He had a massive grin on his face. He waited for me to catch up then put his arm around my shoulders, holding me close.

“Did you hear that?” he whispered so quietly I barely heard him, but his voice was full of excitement. I glanced up and he read my look. He knew I did. He knew what was going to happen tomorrow. Wow. Zacky was going to propose to my best friend, she was most likely going to say yes, and then they were going to get married, straight away. Oh my God! I felt a buzz of excitement flutter through my body. Zacky ran up behind us and put his arm around Mel’s shoulders.

“Uhuh...” I said as I watched Zacky with Mel. Those two love birds... They had permission to get married!
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment if you've read this chapter. Thanks.