‹ Prequel: It's Almost Easy

Such a Surreal Place

Sound Check

*The next day at the sound check*

“Where’s Brian?” Mel asked me. She was holding his guitar and had been waiting for about 10 minutes for him.

“I really don’t know,” I answered as Johnny walked on stage.

“I just checked. Apparently, he’s sick at the moment,” he explained to us.

“How convenient...” Mel muttered, seeming very annoyed at him. “Ash, you’re gonna have to fill in for him then.” She shoved the guitar in my hands.

“What? I can’t play anywhere near as good as him!” I protested, but Mel wouldn’t listen.

“The sound check needs to be done. Play along with the guys,” she said and then she motioned to Jimmy. He counted in on his symbols and I quickly put Syn’s guitar over my body. The strap was too long so the guitar hung far too low for my liking, but I didn’t have time to adjust it. But I attempted to play along and have some fun with the guys.

“Okay, can I get you guys to play ‘Scream’?” Mel shouted. “It’s easy. Regarding Ashleigh’s guitar part...” I poked my tongue out at her. “Oh, and Ash, test his mic too!” Jimmy counted us in again and I did my best to play the guitar, but it was harder than it looked (even though Syn had taught me this song, I couldn’t play it perfectly). I sung along with Matt at the times the guitar was easy, and I also let Zacky handle the major solos.

“You’re not that bad at guitar!” Zacky said sweetly into his mic so I could hear him from the other side of the huge stage.

“Ha. Thanks...” I said and then sighed. This wasn’t much fun without having Syn to stare at... Someone tapped me gently on my shoulder, and I spun around to face them. Speak of the devil... Well, I was thinking it, but the saying isn’t ‘think of the devil’...

“Ashleigh?” Brian said and I looked deep into his eyes. I saw love, instead of confusion. I think he was back to normal. But oh my, he looked stunning in a white t-shirt...

“Yeah?” He quickly leaned in and kissed me. A large smile swept across my face, overjoyed with the fact he loved me again.

“You never told me what day we’re getting married on,” he said as he took my hands into his.

“Oh... Uh...” I stuttered, taken by surprise. “20th of July.”

“Awesome,” he said and hugged me. “Can I have my guitar please?”

“Of course,” I said as I took it off me, passing it to him. I joined Mel at side stage as the band went through another song together.

“How is he?” Mel asked as she fiddled with controls.

“Back to normal,” I replied, suddenly feeling really happy. “You have no idea how relieved I am at the moment...”

“I can imagine,” she said as they started playing ‘Beast and the Harlot’. “So, when are we going shopping for your wedding?”

“Soon. I need to get so much other stuff sorted first, though,” I said and she nodded while changing something to do with Syn’s guitar.

“Oi! Don’t do that!” Syn shouted into his mic and Mel quickly put it back as we laughed at him.

“It’s so hard being a tour manager and organizing a wedding,” I told her. “Oh shit! I forgot to call a stadium!” My eyes were opened as wide as possible. I could technically get fired for that.

“Hey! Relax!” Mel reassured me that the world wasn’t going to end. “How about you let me make half of your tour related calls? That way you won’t have so much pressure on you.”

“Oh that would be great! Thank you so much!” I said and gave her a quick hug.

“Well, you organized my wedding, so I can only try and help make yours better,” she said with a shrug. Suddenly, Brian appeared at my side, still playing guitar.

“Can you tell me what you’re doing hugging someone who isn’t me?” he questioned with a very serious look on his face.

“I’m so glad you’re back to normal,” I said as I hugged him tightly. He stuffed up his guitar piece and I noted his band mates laughing at him.

“Me too.” He gave me a long kiss on the lips, exactly how he did before he hit his head. Afterwards, I stared deep into his amazing brown eyes. “I promise I will always be here for you.” My heart skipped a beat. Did he really just say that?

“I love you so much, Brian,” I whispered, then kissed him again, my heart still fluttering from his dedication and love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Betcha you're all happy he's back to normal huh? :)