Status: Active.

You're Living a Lie, You Just Can't Hide From Me

Daisy.

John smiled, looking down at his lyrics… what he had so far anyway. This girl was going to inspire a lot out of him, he knew that. She seemed like the perfect subject. Plus, girls LOVED having songs written about them; it would automatically put him in her good graces.

Still, he hadn’t gotten much yet… he was going to write something amazing for her. He liked that line he thought of, “she’s eighteen and a beauty queen,” and kept writing it. Perhaps each verse could open with that?

She’s 18 and a beauty queen
she's figured out all the boys like me
head to toe, you know she's dressed to kill
and she could the way she's lookin' at me


He smiled, pausing to think some more. A girl like that makes the boys all weak. She already had Garrett and John himself. She didn’t seem to notice or care, but he had said that she was really shy in high school.

Maybe she has no clue what power she’s got over guys. Maybe she didn’t realize just how good she had him figured out. But a girl like that could do whatever she wanted and boys would just have to do whatever they could to catch up.

She’s 18 and a beauty queen
She makes the boys feel so weak
it's all for her or none at all
she'll pick you up just to watch you fall


He smiled, closing the notebook and deciding that what he’d written was enough for tonight. Surely he’d work out some more in the studio. They were meeting Matt Squire pretty early, and going over the songs they already had. They’d heard he was a hard ass and could easily tell them that everything they’d worked on was dog shit.

Still, John didn’t want to worry. He just wanted to think of that pretty redhead and plan his next move. From what Pat had said, it seemed that Natalie was really shy and wasn’t too good with people. And with the way she had run off, he could tell.

It was kind of amusing to think that he and Garrett were both attracted to the same girl because they didn’t usually fall for the same types. They had two very distinctive types, but somehow Natalie fell into both categories. She was hopelessly beautiful, and smart. Garrett always fell for smart girls, and John was all about a pretty face. It didn’t really make much sense, but this girl wasn’t like the others. He didn’t need to know her long to know that.

Alyssa found everything so amusing. Natalie stared at her for a minute as she giggled.

“WHAT?”

“You really don’t understand how you have these boys wrapped around your finger.”

“I don’t. They’re just a bunch of nice guys who were fun to hang out with… that I’ll probably hang out with again sometime.”

“That John boy sounds pretty sexy.”

She rolled her eyes before she jumped at her phone ringing. Answering it, she smiled. “Hey John, what’s up?”

The older girl shook her head; clearly making kissy faces, to which Natalie just flipped her off. The redhead focused on the voice on the other line.

“What are you up to right now?”

“Just hanging out with Alyssa and talking to you. Why?”

“The guys and I were just wondering if you wanted to come over… we’re all going crazy working on this new material and it’d be nice to get another opinion.”

“I’m no music critic.” She moved some hair from her face. “But, I guess.”

“If Alyssa’s interested, bring her too. It’ll be fun.”

She smiled softly. “Okay.”

John smiled into the phone. The sound of her voice was enough to make him happy. She was incredible. And the song he’d been writing for her was almost done. He wanted her to hear it.

He hoped she’d be impressed. She wasn’t like other girls… he felt as if he were actually going to have to work to get her. He wasn’t really used to that. Something about her told him it’d be worth it though. He was really hopeful, maybe too much. He couldn’t read her very well. Maybe she wasn’t into him.

Of course, that didn’t stop him… it wouldn’t. He’d convince her. If there was one thing John O’Callaghan was good at, it was making girls fall for him. They didn’t call him “John Ohh” for nothing. He liked a challenge, anyway. Besides, Natalie was a Tempe girl, and that automatically made it slightly easier.

As soon as they said their goodbyes and hung up, he was grinning like a fool.
“What’s up with you?”

Jared chuckled.

“Natalie and her roommate are coming over.”

The guitarist nodded. “I’ll go tell the guys.”

The gangly singer smiled, nodding his head and letting out a sigh.

“He’s trying so hard.” Pat chuckled, shaking his head. “She’s coming over…”

Garrett didn’t say anything, just focused on the game they were playing. Left For Dead was one of his favorites, and he just wanted to think about killing zombies, not the pretty redhead. But clearly his focus was off, because soon enough the game was over.

“Damn, just mentioning her has thrown off your game.” Kennedy chuckled.

“You guys suck.”

Pat just smiled. “You still love me, right Gary?”

He groaned, putting down his controller and heading into the kitchen. He grabbed an Arizona iced tea out of the fridge when the doorbell rang. He heard John shout that he’d get it, but because he was already at the door, he answered.

Natalie was smiling softly at him with a gorgeous brunette girl by her side. He smiled back, inviting them in as Natalie made introductions before he enveloped her in a hug. It was a bit awkward because he didn’t hold her as close as he wanted, but he’d just met her. Well, it was the first time he’d ever really spoken to her, so that was right… He bit his lower lip, not knowing what to say.

“Thanks for having us over.” Natalie spoke quietly.

“Oh. O-of course.”

The redhead smiled at him, calming his nerves slightly.

“Show us around.” Alyssa pressed.

John appeared beside him. “There isn’t much to show, but okay. Hi, I’m John, you must be Alyssa.”

Garrett ran a hand through his hair as John spoke animatedly, mostly to Alyssa, but to Natalie as well. The shorter girl just smiled at him contently. She was feeling just as, if not more, awkward than he was. But she couldn’t turn down the offer. After only seeing one show the boys ever played, she was really curious what they sounded like.

Natalie didn’t seem absolutely enthused by John’s conversation, her gaze drifted to the living room where Kennedy and John were playing the video game. She smiled softly, glancing back at Garrett.

“Left For Dead.” He explained.

“Can I play the winner?”

“U-uh, go ask them.” He smiled softly. Was she for real? She really was too perfect.

“Come on, let’s go watch.” The girl spoke, taking his hand in hers and leading him to the room.

Pat put his controller down, rising to his feet to hug the girl tightly. She giggled softly against him. Natalie didn’t remember Pat being quite as friendly in high school, but, of course, she’d never really spoken to him. He made her feel oddly comfortable. Loved even… even if they were basically strangers. He smiled at her, pulling away.

“I’m glad you came.”

“I am too.” Kennedy spoke from the couch, rising to embrace the girl as well.

“Who won?”

Pat pointed at himself enthusiastically.

“I challenge you.” Natalie put her hands on her hips.

“Alright, Wonder Woman.”