Status: I'm working on it write now!

Little Black Sheep

Chapter Seven: Taken for a Fool

Chapter Seven: Taken for a Fool

It was the perfect Kodak moment. Well, for the wizardry world anyway.

Filibuster fireworks were popping everywhere, blue and red sparks flying, a last blow out for the day. The Weasley's had prepared a dinner that compared to my birthday one. The treacle pudding beat Hogwart's by far. Fred and George were laughing hysterically, tipped back in their seats, their red hair brilliant even in the sparse light. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were also enjoying the show, the colors reflecting off of their eyes. The smiles on their faces told me they would let George and Fred off just this once for bringing out their 'toys'. Percy even decided to escape his wizard cave and have one last dinner with the family. To his displeasure, I'm sure, he was ducking his head to protect himself from the whizzing fireworks. Ron and Harry were pointing at the bursts of color, their mouths open in awe. Then there was Ginny, taking this opportunity to enjoy her family, but also to stare at Harry. And me? I was watching everyone, feeling bittersweet. It was really too bad we had also this fun on the last night at the Burrow. We had to leave for Hogwarts in the morning.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Hogwarts, but the Weasley's was… home. It was where I had brothers and a sister and loving parents who celebrated my birthday better than I've ever had it before. And now we were off again. I would miss Mrs. Weasley, with her motherly smile, her bustling about, and her constant worrying about every single thing. And I would miss Mr. Weasley, who loved to read the newspaper in the mornings and was interested in everything that had to do with Muggles. I would long to run down the Burrow's stairs, which seemed persistent on trying to trip everyone, but often failed. Every morning I'll yearn to watch the chaotic meal of breakfast unfold and then run out to the pitch to play Quidditch with the two devious twins.

Later on that night, it was those thoughts that caused sleep to evade me. The moonlight was filtering through the window, creating just enough light so that I could see the shape of things and Ginny's face sound asleep. I rolled over, feeling restless. There had to be something better than lying here, wide awake. A sudden thought popped into my head. I forgot to talk to Tom tonight in the midst of all the excitement. I hurriedly dragged out the diary, along with my ink and pen, and wrote in my now signature midnight blue ink.

Oh! I'm sorry I'm late Tom! We had this really big celebration tonight and I completely forgot.

It's alright, Emily. You're here now and that's all that matters. What was the celebration for?

It was more like a goodbye party. Everyone's going to Hogwarts tomorrow.

Are you? That's great.

It is… but I'm going to miss the Burrow.

Don't worry, Emily. Everything will turn out fine.

Thanks. Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that since I'm going back to school, I can't talk to you in person anymore. People will probably find something weird about it and take you away. I was wondering if I could talk to you like that tonight then.

Yes, that's fine. I understand. I have the perfect memory.

The pages began to flip wildly, but by now I was accustom to it. Ever since my birthday, Tom and I have been taking every opportunity to do this and talk to each other. He seemed like the only person I could completely trust, even if he was just a memory.

The flipping seized and a date rose onto the page: May 4th, 1942. Through the small box I could see lush green grass and a blue sky. I leaned closer, ready to get sucked in when the familiar feeling of falling took over. When the sensation stopped, the feeling of warm sunshine and the fresh smell of spring filled me. The sky was a bright azure and I immediately felt happier. I looked down to find Tom lying down on the grass and I beamed at him, and then walked to where he was at.

"Wow, Tom, you sure know the right places to pick. This is beautiful." I laid down right next to him, the grass beneath me as soft as a blanket.

"Thank you. I usually always find myself at this memory. I've always found it… tranquil." He replied.

"Where are we anyways?" I asked, squinting at the mountains in the distance, "Are we near Hogwarts?"

"No," he answered, staring out into the sky, "This memory took place sometime in my childhood, before I even knew about Hogwarts," he then looked back to me, "Now, since this is our last time talking face-to-face until Christmas, what do you want to do?"

I pondered that for a moment, "I don't know. I just felt like seeing you." I gave him another smile.

"I'm not really a person, though," he sighed, looking back up at the endless sky.

"You are to me. Ever since I found you, you seem like the only person I can trust," I answered truthfully.

"Thank you for the compliment, but I'm still what I am, a mere memory," his voice was still saddened, "You make me feel more human than ever, actually real. Thank you, Emily."

"You don't need to thank me, I enjoy coming here," I told him, "It's the least I can do. Now, what would you like to talk about on our last day?"

"How about today? I would like to know what you do for celebrations nowadays," He said, turning back to me.

"Well…" I took a moment to decide how to word it, "The first thing we did was, obviously, play Quidditch with my new broom."

"Obviously," he repeated, mirth in his voice.

"And Ron, Harry, and I completely killed George and Fred," I continued when he gave me a confused face.

"Killed?" He asked.

"Oh, I'm sorry. What I mean is that we beat Fred and George in Quidditch," I explained, feeling bad at how carelessly I used my words.

"Oh, carry on," he moved his hand in the air to emphasize.

"And then Ginny and I looked over her things, and I gave her some tips about Hogwarts. She was a complete and utter wreck today. Reminds me of myself on the day before Hogwarts," I gave a small laugh, "I was so nervous."

"As is everyone, including me. How are Mr. Weasley and Mrs. Weasley taking it?" He asked, his dark eyes trained on me as I explained everything.

"They're proud of Ginny, worried that Fred and George might do something stupid, think Percy is the best thing since sliced bread, and want to make sure Ron is looked after. Poor Ron," I shook my head, "and then they're sad to see Harry and I go."

"Seems like they love you and Harry a lot," he mused, plucking a blade of grass and twisting it in his fingers.

"Yes, they do. I really wish my mom would be the same way… maybe it's because my dad has been in Azkaban since I was one years old," I revealed to him.

"You never told me about that," He was suddenly alert, his posture turning rigid, "I thought you trusted me with everything."

"I do, it's just hard to talk about. I really miss him, even though I don't remember him. I wish… I wish he was there for me. But that's nothing to what Harry is going through, both of his parents killed by Voldemort." I said thoughtfully, feeling sorrow fill me, "At least both of my parents are alive."

"Yes, Harry, how are things going with him anyways?" Tom switched the subject, taking my mind off the melancholy thoughts.

"Well… they're the same," I said grudgingly, "Ginny still is completely 'in love' with him as she says," spite was in my voice, "and he's still completely oblivious of me."

"What makes him so special anyways?" Tom asked loftily, "What makes him deserve you as his friend?"

"Harry, he's just so nice. He's so smart…and brave," I looked out into the sky, fluffy white clouds gently rolling by, "I've never met a boy like him."

"You're beginning to sound like, Ginny," he commented with a chuckle, "What has Harry done for you? There has to be someone else at Hogwarts that is worth your affection. All last year Harry has just been trouble. He's not worth it."

"I do not sound like, Ginny!" I cried, brushing off the trouble comment, "Do I?"

"Just a little," Tom answered, "He gives you all that grief and then who's his best friend? Ron. He doesn't give you enough respect for what you've done for him."

His argument sounded so persuasive and really, what was so great about Harry? He didn't treat me as well as Ron or trust me as much. And then all that time I worried about him over the summer and he gives Ron the credit for saving him. Tom was right; Harry didn't think anything of me.

"You're right," I answered, my mind feeling a little fuzzy.

"Yes, I am. Didn't he betray you before, for Ron?" he asked and I snapped out of my daze.

"Well… it was in the beginning of the year. He sided with Ron when he said something to me, but was a long time ago," I answered, not feeling so sure. He did always side with Ron. Ron was his best friend, not me.

"He still did it. He betrayed you, what's stopping him from doing it again?" His voice was so soft, how could he possibly be wrong.

"Ya, what is stopping him?" I said, completely convinced, when a voice shouted

Don't believe him! He's lying to you! You know, Harry! Don't listen to Tom!

I shook my head, "Let's talk about something else."

He never brought up the subject again and we continued to talk for a little while. The grass gently waved around us in the light breeze, but everything seemed eerie in a way that I hadn't noticed before. Maybe it was the way my mind reacted to what Tom was saying a moment ago, but now the meadow seemed almost ominous. There were no birds cheerfully chirping anywhere and the land was barren of trees. I felt exposed, as if I was being stalked. The grass started to feel prickly against my hands and the breeze was now a little too chilly. Tom's movements seemed to stiff, too unreal. I retired early to my bed, feeling a little disconcerted.

The next morning, everyone was awakened at dawn, and I felt horrible. My head was stuffy and my throat slightly hurt. What a great way to start off today. Suddenly, Ginny popped up from her side of the bed, her smile engulfing her face and her freckles standing out.

"Come on, Little Emily, let's get ready." Her voice was excited and chirpy, which at that second I found incredibly annoying.

As I was getting ready I suddenly realized that wasn't like me. I was never annoyed with Ginny, usually. What had gotten into me? I watched as she pranced out of the door, totally excited for her first day. I shook the negative feeling off and looked over at my golden locket, which was on Ginny's nightstand. I slipped it over my head and felt the pain of my headache slightly ebb away. My trunk was packed the night before, all of my books, clothes, and personal items stowed away. Rosemarie was still at my mother's house, but she promised to bring her cage when she came to see me off. My stomach dropped a little at the thought, would my mom really come? Did she miss me when I was gone? I shook my head, making the pessimistic notions disappear as I laced up my converse. I grabbed the handle of my luggage and pushed open Ginny's door.

The whole morning was completely chaotic. Despite all the preparations that the Weasley's had taken the night before, there still seemed like an impossible amount of work that still needed to be done. Mrs. Weasley was chasing Fred around the kitchen, screaming at him that she'll fry him alive if he brings those 'blasted experiments' to Hogwarts. As he rushed pass, I got a small glimpse of what he was shielding from his mother. They were small fluff balls, a peculiar orange color and I wondered what they could possibly be for. Ron and Harry had just walked down the stairs, sleep still evident in their expressions as they tiredly munched on toast, trying to wake up. George was hurriedly slipping on a t-shirt, yelling out to his dad that yes, he would help him with the luggage. Ginny was in front of the mirror, brushing her vibrant hair down despite the snide comments that the mirror said to her.

When I brought my trunk out to Mr. Weasley, I suddenly noticed that their turquoise Ford Anglia was puny. Harry looked over at me and seemed to have the same idea. This tiny car needed to fit nine people, seven trunks, two owl cages, and Ron's rat. The car would be absolutely crowded! This task seemed impossible, until Mr. Weasley opened the back of the car and revealed to Harry and me that there was more than enough room. Apparently, this car didn't only inherit the ability to fly from Mr. Weasley.

"Not a word to Molly," Mr. Weasley quietly told us, slamming the trunk shut and walking around to the front of the car.

Soon enough, I was sitting comfortably in the car, Ron to my left and the window to my right. Ginny decided to take the seat in between her father and mother, which was just as large as the seats in the back of the car. As Mrs. Weasley got in and glanced around, she smiled, "Muggles do know more than we give them credit for, don't they? I mean, you'd never know it was this roomy from the outside, would you?"

Mr. Weasley winked in the rearview mirror and then turned the key, starting up the car. As we rolled away, melancholy stabbed itself into my heart. The Burrow was my home and now I was leaving it for the year. Would I be able to come back? Just as the thought passed through my mind, George spoke up.
"We have to go back! I forgot something!"

Mr. Weasley grumbled and reluctantly turned on the side of the road, driving back towards the house.

"George. Now we're going to be late," Mrs. Weasley scowled.

A few minutes later he ran back out to the car, Filibuster fireworks in his arms and we were now at the end of the driveway. This time, Fred shouted, "I need my broomstick!" He jumped out of the car and ran back to the house. By this time, Mrs. Weasley was fuming, lips pursed and the mood of the car had changed to irritated instead of excited. Even my headache started to throb a little more, despite my necklace.

Mr. Weasley was going as fast as he could in the car without attracting any attention. He looked over at the clock with a nervous glance and then began to propose a plan to Mrs. Weasley.

"Molly, dear-"

"No, Arthur," she said in an exasperated voice, knowing what he was going to say.

"No one would see- this little button here is an Invisibility Booster I installed- that's get us up in the air- then we fly above the clouds. We'd be there in ten minutes and no one would be any wiser-" He pleaded but she would have none of it.

"I said no, Arthur," She said firmly, "not in broad daylight-"

The rest of the ride was silent and the buildings around us were passing at a frightening speed as we tried to get to the train in time. When we arrived at King's Cross, everyone was in a rush.

"I'll go get the trolleys!" Mr. Weasley was gone a in a flash.

I glanced worriedly up at the clock, the minute hand showing it was fifteen minutes until the train left. As I pulled my luggage out of the trunk I turned to Ron, "Do you think we're going to make it?"

"Ya, of course. We'll just be cutting it a little short," he tried to reassure me.

When Mr. Weasley returned with the trolleys, we lugged our trunks onto them and walked as fast as possible to the barrier that stood in between platforms nine and ten. Muggles had no idea what it really was, a door to platform nine and three-quarters, and the seconds were ticking when we reached it.

"Five minutes left," I whispered as the clock above us still ticked.

"Percy first," Mrs. Weasley lightly pushed him in front of the barrier.

He looked around for any curious Muggles and then ran through, passing like a ghost to the other side. Mr. Weasley followed him, and then Fred and George vanished as well. I then realized, my mother was supposed to be here. I started to madly search for her when Mrs. Weasley grabbed my arm.

"I'll take Ginny and Emily. You two come right after us." And before I could protest, we were on the other side, the train getting ready to go.

The scarlet Hogwarts Express had steam billowing from its stack, the whistle piercing through the air. Mrs. Weasley span Ginny and me around to face her.

"Have a good year you two. Make sure that the boys don't get into any trouble." She bent down, gave us a kiss on the cheeks and then shoved us towards the train, "Hurry along now! They're about to leave!"

Ginny grabbed my hand and hurried me along. I looked behind me to see Mrs. Weasley waving us off and I felt a little dizzy. Everything was going on in a rush. Where was my mother? Where were Harry and Ron? When Ginny and I were finally enclosed in the train, I took a deep breath after running around so much.

"We made it," Ginny huffed and looked over at me, giving a small laugh, "What a first day, eh?"
I cracked a smile at her too, despite the pounding in my head, "Ya."

"Emily! Where have you been! I thought the train was going to leave without you!" I heard a familiar voice call out to me.

"Hermione?" I looked up to see a girl with curly brown hair and a relieved look on her face.

"Yes. You came on just in the nick of time. Are you crazy?" and then she turned to the red head beside me, "Oh! Sorry. I'm Hermione Granger. You must be Ron's sister."

"Ya, I am. You must be the girl that tortures my brother to the ends of the earth," She gave a laugh to show she was only joking.

Hermione blushed, "Is that what Ron has been saying about me?"

"Don't worry, Hermione. That's a good thing from where Ginny comes from." I wrapped my arms around her, "I've missed you."

"I missed you too, Emily." She said into my ear and then pulled away, "We have to hurry now if we want a compartment for all of us!"

We started to walk down the hallway, tugging my trunk along. The train looked just like it did last year, frosted windows of the compartments just showing a shadow of its laughing inhabitants. Ginny's eyes were flickering everywhere, drinking everything in. I had forgotten that this was her first time ever on the Hogwart's Express and she had only seen its scarlet exterior when her brothers left for school.

"Is it what you expected?" I nudged her, breaking her out of her awe.

"Yes, and more," she smiled, her doe eyes glowing.

"Ginny! Emily! Here's one," Hermione announced and we all herded into the compartment. It was vacant and I trivially wondered why we weren't sitting with Neville or someone from last year.

We all slid onto the seat, Ginny and Hermione taking the window seats while I sat next to Ginny.

"Where's Harry and Ron?" Hermione asked casually.

I suddenly stiffened in panic, that's why she wanted an empty compartment. "Ginny, weren't they supposed to follow you and me through the barrier?"

"Ya, they were. The probably decided to take their own compartment, to have some boy time," Ginny brushed off my worry.

"Ginny's right, they'll probably be here any second," and she then turned to Ginny, "What do you think about being a first year?"

Something seemed weird here and my headache came back at full force. The feeling of betrayal started to crawl on my skin. Hermione usually would have agreed with me and been worrying like a mother, wouldn't she? She usually would be freaking out. Paranoia snuck itself into my head. Was she more assured with Ginny instead of me?

"I'm going to look for them, any of you coming with me?" I asked and they barely paused in their conversation to shake their heads 'no'.

Feeling as if something was pressing down on my chest, I slipped out of the frosted doors and started searching. Every window that I looked through had multiple people in them, no red heads or black hair. What happened to them? I started to actually open up the compartments.

I slid open a frosted door and stuck my head inside. I found myself staring at Neville Longbottom, Dean Thomas, and Seamus Finnigan.

"Hey, Emily, what are you doing here?" Seamus said, popping a Bertie's Botts Every Flavored Bean into his mouth.

"Have you seen Harry or Ron?" I asked.

His face soured and he shook his head, along with everyone else.

"Why, is he not on the train?" Neville asked, his voice worried.

"No, he's not here. He was supposed to follow Ginny and I but…" I trailed off, scenarios filling my mind. Neville didn't exactly help.

"What if some Muggle thugs got them! And what if…" I shut the door before I could hear anymore of Neville's theories and continued my way down the corridor.

It always ended the same. I would ask where Ron and Harry are and they'd all say no.

Maybe they are in another train car, I thought to myself, they're here somewhere.

The thoughts at first were reassuring, but then dread started to fill me. Why would they want to be alone? Were they sick of me hanging out with them? Were they secretly talking about how annoying I am? I wouldn't put it pass Ron. Resentment began buzzing in my limbs. What am I thinking? I shook my head. Why in the world would I think those things? They're my friends! Maybe they were just giving us girl time and to give Ginny tips that only girls should know. Everything's fine, no need to worry.

I walked back to my compartment and sat back down.

"Did you see them?" Hermione's voice was nonchalant, but then I saw the apprehension in her eyes. Why didn't I see it before?

"No, I didn't. They're probably just in another train car," I told her and realized the reason she wasn't freaking is because she didn't want Ginny to get all stressed. After all, what kind of first day would it be if she spent the whole ride to Hogwarts worrying about her brother and Harry? They were probably on the train, just hanging out somewhere else.

"So, Hermione, what were you and Ginny talking about?" I asked, trying to tell Hermione through my eyes that I understood.

She gave a slight nod, "I just finished with the sorting hat."

"Well, what do you want to know about next, Ginny?" I turned to her and she tilted her head, thinking.

"Everything!" she enthused, completely keyed up for her first day of school.

"After sorting…" I began, thinking back to my first days.

I explained everything. I told her about how the school seemed overwhelmingly large on the first day, but after time she would know the place like the back of her hand. I warned her to watch out for

Peeves and that the staircases changed places. Hermione talked about the teachers, how Snape had a 'deep dislike' for Gryffindors, how Professor McGonagall was strict, and we eventually got to the part where Gilderoy Lockhart was going to be our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

"Oh! I just can't wait to have his class!" Hermione swooned, "Maybe he'll tell us about his travels!"

"I really hope he'll tell us the one with the banshee!" I could picture his blonde hair and blue eyes. I sighed.

"I have my eye on someone else," Ginny said dreamily and looked out the window.

Hermione perked up, "Who? Who would be better than Gilderoy Lockhart..."

"Harry," I answered for Ginny and she turned a deep shade of red.

"Oh, you have a crush on Harry. That's so cute Ginny." Hermione put on hand on Ginny's shoulder.

"Thanks," her cheeks continued to burn and then she cleared her throat, "Um, could you tell me more about the Quidditch games?"

Despite my good mood slightly being dampened, we continued with our stories of Hogwarts. Ginny clung onto every word and gave her own opinions about things. Ron was right; she was bold when she wanted to be. We laughed over all the stories Hermione and I told her, especially the one about the Quidditch game Snape was hosting.

"Oh, Hermione! Do you remember how angry Neville and Ron got? They just pounced on Malfoy when Harry was doing his seventy foot dive!" I was laughing hard now at the memory.

"We were so worried something was going to happen to Harry that we weren't paying attention to the fight going on behind us. Ginny, you should have seen Ron!" Hermione was also giggling.

"Oh, he was just laying it all on Malfoy! When he came back though he had a bloody nose and Hermione had to take him to the hospital wing. Neville was knocked unconscious because he went up against Crab and Goyle!" I wiped my eyes, "Oh, Ginny, just wait until you're in the middle of this year. You'll wish it'll never end!"

"I can't believe Ron, out of all my brothers, would go after Malfoy!" Ginny was trying to laugh and ended up falling into a fit anyways.

Overtime, the sun outside began to sink lower and lower into the sky. Hermione looked outside of the window.

"We're almost there, we should be getting our robes on," Hermione said and we dug into our trunks.
My mind started to wonder back to Harry and Ron. They should have been here by now if they were on the train. Did they just not know where we were? I slipped my Hogwarts uniform on, feeling a little anxious.

Suddenly a voice came on the PA system, "We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately."

As the train got closer and closer, you could see the top of Hogwart's turrets and I pointed them out to Ginny.

She gasped, "There's Hogwarts?"

"There's Hogwarts," I answered, "When we get there, Hermione and I won't be able to go with you. Don't worry, though, you'll find someone to ride across the lake with."

"Ride across the lake?" She asked and I wondered if I was like this during my first year.

"Ya, don't worry though. There will be three other people in the boat with you. Hagrid will make sure you're with someone," I gave her a small smile.

Hermione came back in from the bathroom, "Are you ready?"

"Yes, I was just telling Ginny about the boats," I said and I could feel the train slowly come to a halt, "We're here."

Suddenly, students began piling out of the compartments, the hallways completely clogged up. I tried to stay next to Hermione and Ginny, determined not to get separated this time around.

"Firs' years! Firs' years!" I could hear Hagrid yell over the chatter of the crowd of students.

"Ok, Ginny, just follow Hagrid and you'll be at the school in no time! Hagrid!" I called out to the giant and turned around, a smile visible in his beard.

He was as big as the time I saw him in Diagon Alley. With his multiple skin jacket and huge boats, he was taller than anyone else. His eyes were small and a bark black and his beard was just as long as before, if not clipped a little. He was good old Hagrid and I was sad that I wouldn't be riding in a boat with him like last year.

"Well, I be darned, it's Emily and Hermione. Didn't think I'd see you two in this crowd. Who's this?" He turned to Ginny.

"This is Ron's sister. This is her first year. Take care of her! By the way, have you happened to see Harry or Ron?" I asked, and he shook his head, his dark hair moving along with him at the movement.

"No, why?" He started searching over everyone's heads, which was pointless seeing as there were hundreds of students.

I ignored his question and turned to Ginny, "Don't worry, Hagrid will help you if you need any. And most of all, have fun!", and I turned back to the giant, "See you at the banquet Hagrid!" I tugged Hermione along and finally let my worry show.

"What are we going to do?" I asked her, knowing that she knew exactly what I was implying.

We pushed past hundreds of students in robes, but I kept eye contact with her.

Her expression turned wary and she just shook her head, "I don't know."

I threw my arms up in exasperation, causing a few alarmed students to look over at us, "Hermione Granger doesn't know? The world's coming to an end!"

"Shhh!" she pushed my arms down, "We have to act like nothing has happened. Ron and Harry probably met up with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. They would have contacted Dumbledore and are perhaps in the Great Hall right now waiting for us."

I nodded my head, "I hope you're right."

"I do too," she whispered and then turned to face the group of students we were following.

I realized that this was the year that we wouldn't be getting to the school by boats and absently wondered what Dumbledore had in store for us. I stared into the sky, to see it the sun was just beginning to set. The colors were a mix of orange and yellow and blazed across what used to be a pleasant blue sky. I noticed we were on a muddy dirt trail that was only a short ways away from the train platform. Straight head were hundreds of black carriages. And that was it. No horses or bulls or some mythical creature in harnesses ready to pull them.

As Hermione and I walked closer, I felt the hair on my arms raise, but ignored it seeing as my headache was coming back and the muscles in my legs were starting to ache. We choose a random coach and yanked the door open, stepping inside. Inside it smelt musty and stale, which only caused the pain my head to flare up even more. There was a knock on our door and Hermione opened it. She revealed Hannah Abbott. We had never talked much with her last year, although she was in the same class as us.

"May I join you guys? The others are pretty much full," she was rubbing her palms together nervously.

"Yes, it's fine, Hannah," Hermione answered, her voice still not completely normal. With Hannah's arrival, it made Ron's and Harry's absence just all that more noticeable.

Feeling absolutely awful, I turned to the slightly dirt covered window and stared out into the distance. I knew that I wouldn't be great company and my grumpiness just continued to mount. Hermione in the back of my mind I could hear Hermione talking loudly and hurriedly to Hannah, which was a nervous habit of Hermione's.

"Fire slugs are found in Brazil and…."

I mentally rolled my eyes. Of course Hermione was spouting some useless fact about some rubbish. A wave of remorse spread through the pit of my stomach. What was I saying? Most of the things Hermione knows is very useful and could save people in time of danger! Despite my explanation in my mind, my irritation remained present. I suppressed my thoughts as the carriage bumped and jerked at every hole in the path, feeling more queasy and annoyed at every second.

The castle came into a view a few minutes later after we passed two iron gates and I couldn't find the magic in it at that second. Right then, all I wanted to do was get to the dormitory and curl up into a ball. I must have eaten too much at dinner last night or maybe I had caught something at the Weasley's. They weren't exactly the cleanest people. The coach was going at an upwards slant and the dizziness was even worse. Hermione's droning was a distant hum in the back of my mind. All I could focus on now was the nausea and the pain. Why didn't Hermione notice I wasn't feeling good? Would she just shut up for a second about fire slugs and actually use her information for something useful? Maybe she didn't care was I was absolutely feeling dreadful. The coach came to a sudden halt and I glared at the floor. Couldn't anything go right?

I jumped out of the coach as soon as I could and started to trudge up the stone steps that led to the castle.

"Emily! Wait up!" I heard Hermione call, but I keep up my pace. If she didn't care I was sick, then I didn't have to care she wasn't fast enough.

Finally, she caught up with me, "What's been going on with you?" Her voice was worried and I didn't look at her.

"Just a stomach ache," I muttered and continued up to the school.

We were herded in like cattle into the Great Hall and I could feel Hermione was looking at me. Why didn't she just say something? I knew that she had something to say!

The Great Hall was absolutely stunning. Despite my mood, it was impossible not to notice. It was just like last year, sparkling stars peeking out at all the students from the ceiling along with melting candles floating above everyone's pointed caps. The walls were stone, but didn't seem as cold as the rest of the school. The tables were wooden, just as always, and worn from their years of use. The head table was filled with all the teachers and there stood a stool in between the students and the teachers. Everyone took a seat and Hermione nudged me.

"Do you want to go to the hospital wing or something?" She whispered.

I was probably considered an embarrassment to her. That's why she wanted me gone. I shouldn't have told her I had a stomach ache, it was just an excuse.

"No, I'm fine," I told her through clenched teeth.

Suddenly, a wave of small students filed into the room. They were the first years and Professor McGonagall was at the front. She lightly placed the Sorting Hat, which was just frayed and dirty as last year, onto the stool. Suddenly, under a fold in the hat, a mouth ripped open and the Hat began to sing.

I probably seem quite old

to those who are first years

But I still have my wits

And you should have no fears!

I really get to know you

In no way someone could

So, come on, slip me on

You know you really should!

I'm a very different hat

From every one you know

I like to make decisions

And find where you must go.

So, should you join Gryffindor

Who choose the strong of heart

And value nerve and courage

This is where they start

Maybe Ravenclaw is for you

They are the brainy sort

They have their noses in books

And Wizard's Chess is their sport

Or Slytherin might be your group

Where you do fit in

They are secretive, with cunning minds

Always will and always have been

You might belong in Hufflepuff

Where they believe in loyalty

Those students are quite righteous

But you'll just have to see

So, come on, try me on

No need to be shy

I know where you must go

And I never ever lie!

After a moment of silence, everyone started to applaud. Feeling a little weak, I clapped my hands together as the hat bowed to all of us and then sat still.

"When I call your name," Professor McGonagall said while pulling out a roll of parchment, "you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted."

Everything was just like last year and I should have felt overjoyed to be back and Hogwarts, but the complaints of my stomach, head, and muscles continued. Names were being called out for the new students to be sorted.

"Colin Creevey!" Professor McGonagall called and I briefly paid attention.

"GRYFFINDOR!" the hat called out and my table exploded into cheers.

I didn't even muster up a few claps and just concentrated on somehow making my headache go away. What could I have possibly gotten from Ron's house? Would everyone just stop being so loud? Couldn't people tell when someone was in pain? No one was looking my way though, they were all focused on the sorting, which continued on and on. I could feel a pair of eyes on me when a girl named Luna Lovegood jumped onto the stool. I looked up to find Dumbledore's stare trained on me. He looked away and the Ravenclaw table started yelling and clapping. He obviously could tell I wasn't doing well. Why did he just look away? He could do something for me. He probably didn't care either. Hermione, Harry, Ron, and Dumbledore did not care. Perhaps no one did.

"Weasley, Ginevra," I heard Professor McGonagall say and I watched as Ginny walked over to the stool.

Hermione caught her breath and turned to me for a second.

"GRYFFINDOR!" The hat shouted and Hermione jumped up, screaming.

I also clapped, but each send a pounding through my head.

The vibrant red head ran over, her cheeks scarlet and a huge smile on her face.

"I made it into Gryffindor! I was so worried!" She sat down across from Hermione with a huge smile on her face.

"Congratulations Ginny!" Hermione excitedly told her and then started to tell her something else. It was getting harder and harder to concentrate though.

Dumbledore was making his beginning of the year speech, but I wasn't paying attention.

Didn't Ginny notice I was here too? And Hermione was chatting her up. Why didn't Hermione let me congratulate Ginny? Also, Hermione was talking way more to Ginny now than she has for this whole trip. Did she not like talking to me? Did Ginny not like me either? I'm their friend, for Hogwart's sake! Maybe they have an alternative motive for me being their friend. What if they're using me? Hermione could definitely have me raise her potions grade if she convinced me I was her friend. And Ginny could use me to get close to Harry. That was it! It all made sense! I was their tool! Anger started to pulse through me. I wasn't their friend. Food filled the platters on the table, but I didn't feel hungry.

I stood up abruptly and Hermione and Ginny finally looked over at me.

"Are you alright, Little Emily?" Ginny asked and I wave of annoyance filled me.

"Oh, don't mind me. Go on talking away! I'll just go and leave you two alone," I snapped and turned on my heel.

"Emily! What's wrong?" Hermione grabbed my arm and I glared at her. She was a liar.

"Like you care," I answered and strode across the room.

I pushed opened the Great Hall doors and took a quick glance over my shoulder. I could see Hermione leaning over the table, whispering to Ginny. They were probably talking about how I was being ridiculous. I grimaced to myself. Well, they could keep talking for all I cared. It's not like they were really my friends anyways, Ginny was only after me to get Harry.

I started walking down the dimly lit hallway, Making my way towards the seventh floor, the summer air sticky on my arms and my head was pounding like it was about to explode. Pain emitted from its epicenter and spread through my body. Shadows cast themselves in the corners of the castle and matched my mood exactly.

Harry. And where was he, my supposed friend? He was nowhere to be found, gallivanting around Europe with his good old buddy Ron. Did they care that I was waiting here for them, worried like a dog's bone? No, of course not. If they did, they'd be here by now. But what did I care? I mean, if they wanted to dump me like that, then I don't need them. I started to trudge up the staircase.

No doubt this was all Ron's idea. He was just chock full of them! He's always been jealous of me, I know it. I mean, it was obvious that Harry liked me more than him. Ron was annoying, always messing up spells and complaining about Hermione. What was he good at? Wizard's chess. No wonder he envied me! His only talent was to talk to little chess players and move them around! And then Harry has been feeling threatened by me too, for sure. When we found out that I was the girl-who-lived, he thought that I would take the attention away. Well, it was time someone else was in the limelight, Mr. Potter. I mean, didn't I look way better with Lockhart on the front page? And the girl-who-lived has such a better ring to it, don't you think?

My chest felt like someone was sitting on it and all the bones in my body ached. And did Hermione care that I was sick? No, otherwise she would have come after me. I mean, here I am, completely and utterly in pain and no one cares. I finally reached the corridor on the second floor.

These were the people who I called friends. Gosh, was I that stupid? They only wanted to be with me so they could use me. Hermione was in for my expertise in potions, which she could never achieve. Ginny was only with me so she could get some action with Harry. Like that's ever going to happen. And then Ron was faking to be my friend because he wanted to be famous. Of course! That would be the quickest way. Being friends with both the only two people who defeated the Dark Lord would certainly boost you up on the social ladder. Then there was Harry. He only hung out with me because it would seem strange if the boy-who-lived wasn't friends with the girl-who-lived. It was all for the media. He was just faking. Well, he has got another thing coming!

My anger was boiling like I never had it before and my stomach was rolling. Did they think they could get away with such treachery?

"Emily!" I heard a familiar voice echo from behind me.

This could not be happening.

"Oh, hey, Emily. We were just-" Ron had put his hand on my shoulder and I whipped around.

"Where have you two been?" I seethed and both boys visibly jumped back.

"Relax Emily. We just came back from Snape's office-" Harry tried to explain.

"Oh, that's just perfect. Already getting Gryffindor in trouble before school even starts!" I scoffed, throwing my arms up into the air.

"What has gotten into you?" Ron shouted, a slight bit of fury in his tone. This sparked me further.

"Me? What about you two? You were supposed to be on the train, but nooooo, you had to go off all by yourselves," I stuck my finger in Ron's chest, absolutely furious as the rolling in my stomach soon became a dull pain.

"Why don't you just let us explain?" Harry yelled, the first time I ever heard him angry. His emerald eyes were stern and his lips a thin line. At this, I felt a tug at my mind that told me that this was all wrong, but I shook it off.

"Oh well, then! Just go right ahead. Tell me about your adventurous journey to Hogwarts while Hermione and I just sat on the train!" I made my voice a sickly sweet and hoped it was cut through them.

"Is this what it's all about, Emily? Are you jealous because we didn't take you along?" Harry's voice was calmer and it was his tone that infuriated me.

"What?" I screamed, "Me jealous of you?" I gave a small laugh, "It's you that's jealous of me!"

"Are you serious Emily? Do you even hear the words that are coming out of your mouth?" Ron was right in my face now.

"It was about time I realized why you guys were my friends. You just wanted to take advantage of my status. All of you did," I huffed, crossing my arms.

"Your status?" Harry asked with sarcasm, "We didn't even figure out you were the girl-who-lived until the end of the year!"

"Oh, I'm not only well known for that," I gave a malicious smile, "but that's one secret for another day."

"Emily, you're just so full of yourself! You thought we were your friends because we wanted to be famous?" Ron shouted and then he turned to Harry, "Let's get out of here. We don't need another Malfoy hanging around us."

"Malfoy?" I cried, "Never in a million years would I be him!"

"Look at yourself," Ron's blue eyes were on fire and his words full of venom, "I can already see your hair turning blonde and your face turning into a rat."

With that, they pushed past me and started running towards the common room on the seventh floor. Tears started to well into my eyes and I was breathing hard with rage. How could they call me the Malfoy? My throat was raw and the thumping behind my eyeballs was excruciating. I started to stomp away from the direction they ran and towards the girl's bathroom.

My vision blurred and it became painful to swallow because of the lump in my throat. If any of them really cared, they'd be coming after me. But it was true, they didn't care about me. I pushed through the doors hurriedly, wiping one of my eyes with the sleeve of my robe. All they wanted was fame.

I curled myself underneath one off the sinks, hugging my knees as stupid tears began streaming down my face. This was completely and utterly ridiculous! I shouldn't be wasting tears on those gits! This only made me cry harder and my shoulders shake.

Of course I wouldn't ever be able to find real friends. A new school wouldn't change anything! They were just fakes, trying to use me to fulfill their own agendas. Oh, Hermione seemed so truthful, so nice. But she couldn't have cared less to what happened to me. That's why she let me try the potion from Snape's puzzle that protected the Sorcerer's Stone last year. They were afraid that it was poison and of course let me take it instead. I was disposable; I had already gotten them what they wanted. If I did die, they'd probably get even more publicity.

I was sobbing now, feeling useless. Of course I was better dead to them! They should just kill me now! My shoulders ached, as if something heavy was placed on them. The ugly sound that was my crying reverberated against the tiled walls of the bathroom.

Ron thought I would bring more money to his family! My mom and I had lots of money, he obviously noticed that when he saw me at the Hogwarts Express. That's why he latched right onto me, pulling his shy boy act. I was an idiot to fall for it! And Harry! Of course he sat in a compartment alone. He was just inviting someone to come in and recognize him. How lucky he thought he was when he met me! I could bring him all the fame he wanted! He must have known I was a Black! Harry must have known my dad was in Azkaban! I bet he was planning to use the knowledge to make him even more famous! And Ginny, I thought she was so cute and sweet. I should have known right away after she turned her back against me when Harry said good night to me! It was obvious she hated me!

My breathing was shallow as tears continue to escape my eyes and fall onto my cheeks. Ron and Harry had also turned on me before. They betrayed me twice last year! Tom had told me this, why hadn't I listened? He was right and I didn't believe him! Oh, am I a fool! He was telling me the truth, warning me with his wisdom. He was over fifty years old, of course he was right. My tears seized and I started to push myself away from the sinks. He was what I needed right now. I had to talk to him.

"Are you done wailing now?" A nasally, high voice called out and I started frantically looking around,

"You were quite a show, running in here and then starting to sob without a word."

"Leave me alone!" I shouted, when my eyes finally landed on a misty figure.

It was a ghost. I recognized the look from Nearly Headless Nick. She looked close to my age, with glasses and pig tails. She was smiling at me.

"Ha! You've found me. What was your sobbing about? Hm? A boy?" She gave a giggle.

"Go away!" I screamed at her.

"Everyone has told me that, even when I was alive. But I'm not going anywhere now! So go on and run, crying girl! Go and run!" She started to laugh uncontrollably and I did exactly what she said and ran out.

I knew what I had to do. The corridor was now darker than before, the only light coming from the silver moonlight. It casted squares on the flagstone floor and gave the castle a spooky feeling. I could have cared less though, because I was on a mission. I was running as fast as I could, determined. The grounds were tinted with dark blue, turning the grass into a dark teal and the trees into almost a black. I should have been frightened of getting caught by Mrs. Norris or by Filch, but they didn't even cross my mind.

Ron's and Harry's words echoed in my mind over and over.

Do you even hear the words that are coming out of your mouth?

Are you jealous because we didn't take you along?

We don't need another Malfoy hanging around us.

Oh, ya, I'm the Malfoy, I grumbled in my mind, I'm the one who betrayed a friend. Ya, I'm the one who only befriended someone to become famous. The sarcasm was thick and coated each word. The guys thought they were great and right, well they had another thing coming. When I reached the Fat Lady painting, she started to speak.

"What are you doing out at this time of night?" She asked, her pink dress absolutely ridiculous.

"Wattlebird," I seethed and instead of prodding further, she swung open.

The thudding in my head was going wild, as if someone was just pounding a hammer over and over on the top of my skull. This was the breaking point. I had finally had it with Ron and Harry and everyone else in this bloody castle!

The common room was deserted, except for the roaring fire which continued to blaze without a supervisor. Guided by the orange light of the flames, I headed towards the dormitory stars. Taking two at a time, I finally reached my dormitory. Cautiously, I turned the knob and slid myself into the room. All the scarlet curtains were drawn, except for one. It was my bed. I crept across the carpet, padding lightly until I reached my trunk. Light snores filled the room and I looked out the large windows to find that tonight was the full moon.

I didn't need Ron and Harry. They could just go to bloody hell. My hands unclipped my trunk and started searching for the comforting worn leather that was my diary. I needed to talk to Tom and now more than ever. When my fingertips brushed against the familiar texture, I yank it out and continued to scour the rest of my things for an ink and a quill. Tom was going to help me. Maybe I could even stay in the diary for forever. I smiled at the thought and quickly started going back down the stairs.

Excited with electricity buzzing around me, I slammed the book on the floor in front of the fire so I could see. I felt absolutely crazy as I stared flipping through the yellow stained pages. The flames were flicking wildly cheering me on. Suddenly a hand gripped my shoulder just as I was reaching for my quill.

"Emily, don't do this. It was just an argument." The voice was familiar and I finally placed it. He was the mysterious boy from last year.
Suddenly, I was furious at him. He couldn't order me around! Why did everyone take Ron's and Harry's side?
"Well, I'm sick of them using me! I want them to realize just how sorry they should be." My blood was pumping hot and angry through my veins and I finally felt happy, "There's nothing you can do to stop me." I threw his hand off of me and messily wrote to Tom.
I need you. Please take me away.
As you wish.
The box formed on the upper right corner of the page and I could see Tom beckoning to me, his dark hair moving slightly in the breeze and a large smile on his face.

"Emily! Think about what you're doing! Can you really trust him?" The voice begged me.

A smile spread across my lips, "Of course I can trust him. He has never done anything to ever hurt me."
With that, I dove into the pages, the familiar feeling of falling calming my nerves. As I landed, I noticed that Tom had brought me back to the field of flowers.

"What troubles you, Little Emily?" he suddenly was in front of me, scanning my face with a worried expression.

"I've finally had it with Ron and Harry! You were right!" I threw my arms into the air, trampling the wild grasses and daisies under my feet, "How can I trust them? They always turn on me."

"Oh. What did Harry do this time?" he led me over to an enormous oak tree and sat down, patting a place for me to follow.

I sighed, letting the breeze blow through my hair, "He's been betraying me the whole entire time. They were just trying to use me to get famous. I hate him!"

"That's right," Tom's voice was smooth, comforting, "he's taken advantage of your tolerance once again. But now he's taken it too far. His secret has now been revealed."

"Yes, it has. And now he's going to pay!" My anger increased at Tom's words and I glared at the fuchsia clover flowers, my muscles taunt.

"You want to make him hurt now. He has to pay for what he has done." Tom whispered to me and I turned to him, "I can help you."

"Hurt him?" Suddenly, my fury drained a little and doubt started to plant itself into my thoughts.

"Yes. Don't you want him to hurt, just as you have? After all he's done to you. He doesn't deserve to go off free," my mind was going fuzzy like the last time I visited Tom, "You are so much better than that."

"You're right," I told him, feeling as if everything he said was the truth. Of course he was right. He was always right.

"Now, I want you to go to the girls' bathroom and-" Tom's voice was soft and kind. Suddenly someone yelled and shattered the moment.

"Emily! Don't listen to him! He's using you! You know he is! Come back!" I was suddenly snapped out of my daze. I looked over at Tom to see his face contorted into the most malicious expression I've ever seen. I flinched away, afraid.

"You," This was the only word he said when he turned back to me, his face soft again, "Emily, he's lying to you. Just listen to me."

My instincts started to kick in. The persuasion in Tom's voice wasn't hidden anymore, now it was easily detectable. Fear made my fingers tremble and I realized how much trouble I was in. I was in Tom's world and he could do anything that he wanted, but he needed me to things outside of this book. I was just a tool.

"No. I have to leave! You are the one that's using me!" I shouted, rushing to get up and I started to run.
There was a black door at the edge of Tom's memory and I could only hope that it was an escape route. A hand snatched my ankle, causing me to fall face first into the grass.

"Help me!" I screamed desperately, knowing that no one could help me.

Tom was suddenly on top of me, crushing the air out of my lungs, "You will forget this," he whispered sharply between clenched teeth, "This never happened."

I didn't know why he was saying this. Was he crazy? There was no way I was going to forget this! He then let go, smirking as I started to claw at the grass to get up.

"Good bye, Emily. I shall see you soon!" He called out, the same sick smile gracing his handsome face. His dark eyes were watching me and they twinkled as if they were holding some delicious secret.

I wrenched the black door open and felt like I was being thrown. I landed on the red carpet of the common room, breathing hard.

"Are you ok, Emily?" the voice spoke and I span around.

I could only see the scarlet couch that sat in front of the fire, but the rest was all shadows. There was no one there, but the voice was so close. I was about to open my mouth to demand that he let himself be shown when I decided against it. He had saved me from doing something terrible. I could let him off this once.

"Thank you," I whispered to him, "You saved me."

"You're welcome. I must leave now. I've already changed too much." He said and I panicked.

"When will you be back?" I asked, worried that he was gone for good.

"You'll see me again," and then he laughed like it was an inside joke, "Just be careful, Little Emily."

A second later, I could feel his presence leave. I was finally alone. I turned to the black leather diary and glared at it.

"It's now time for your end," I growled at it and thrust it into the flames of the common room fire.
I watched the golden flames catch onto the cover and I turned away. I was now free. The headache had disappeared completely and the pressure on my shoulders was gone. I was me again and now I could enjoy it. I got up slowly and took in the common room around me. The carpet was still a red that made me homesick and the couches looked as inviting as ever. I sighed, feeling accomplished and started my way up back up the stairs to my bedroom. Tomorrow was going to be the first day of classes.

I smiled as I pulled my covers over me and got the best sleep I had ever gotten since I started writing in the diary.

The next morning, Tom was true to his word. I didn't remember a thing. Little did I know that a red headed girl, worried about being late for her first day, had gotten up before all the other girls. As she came down the stairs on her way to the Great Hall, she spotted an unscathed book in the fireplace. Out of curiosity, she picked it up, and brushed the ash away from the cover. As she flipped through the pages, she noticed that there was no writing. So she just slid it amongst the rest of her books and brought it with her to breakfast.

~(Author's Note)~