Status: Completed

It's Not Real

Chapter 16 -Dumb Anger-

It was now Saturday and it was my turn to drive Chelsea and I to work. I pulled up to her house and honked and she ran out and hopped into the seat next to mine, "you feeling better." I gave her an mean look and the sped out of the driveway.

"I'm dead tired," I said, "I honestly don't know how I'm going to get through work."

"That's how it's always like when a guy breaks your heart," she said staring out the window trying not to catch the glare I was about to send her direction.

"Do you even listen when I tell you stories," I said giving her a look, "I broke up with him." The rest of the ride was silent, I'm pretty sure Chelsea got the message that I was grumpy, to make myself feel better I keep saying it's from lack of sleep. You have to do the work to avoid the jerk, don't settle you have to keep dating or at least that's what my mom keeps telling me. I already feel like giving up.

I kind of zoned out when we were getting our job assignments. "Come on sleepy," Chelsea said grabbing my arm, "we're on gift shop duty again."

"Fine, I call register," I said. I fell asleep as soon as I sat down only to be awakened by the loud rush of people coming in from the first tour. I checked them all out and when the store was empty I let my head fall onto the counter and tried to drift into another nap.

"Well someone's tired," I looked up to see Aaron standing over me.

I rolled my eyes, put my head back down and said, "what do you want." I kind of forgot he worked there, oh well I didn't really care. I hadn't talked to him much since we stopped that stupid fake dating thing.

"Nothing, just thought I'd say hi," he said smiling. I sat up giving up on him leaving.

"Hi," I said and then continued, "how is your girlfriend."

"Umm, we kind of broke up," he said and I gave him a confused look, "everyone was right, she was a slut."

"No really," I said giving him a duh look.

"Haha," he faked, "it doesn't matter, I actually like someone else."

"No, I'm not helping you again that was agony," I said.

"I know, I heard you have a boyfriend anyway," he said raising an eyebrow. I glared at him felt around on the desk for something to throw. I found the stapler, that'll do, I took it and threw it. "I guess it's not going well," he said.

"Did he mention Cody," Chelsea said bringing the stapler back.

"He avoided the name," I said giving he an angry look and she just walked away. "You should walk away too," I said looking at Aaron who was still standing there. He left, I could be a very angry person when I was angry.

I wanted to pour myself into work, but I don't think I could I was so tired and so angry. I don't think angry and tired were a good mix. I did end up falling asleep and when I woke up I over heard people talking about me .... RUDE!

"What's wrong with her," Aaron said. Umm absolutely nothing, what's it to you. I wanted to listen to see if my best friend would defend me.

"Nothing," she said, thank you Chelsea for having my back. She continued, "obviously you don't know her very well, Cara is very head strong, she hates being wrong and more than that hates being weak."

I never saw myself like that, but I guess it was true, I did hate being looked down at like I was helpless. I did hate being wrong, but I'm usually right so it didn't really matter. They continued talking so I decided to let them know I could here, "I can hear you so take your conversation elsewhere."

"Sorry, Cara," Chelsea said. Aaron walked to the back and Chelsea stayed up front to talk to me. "You know after work we should go get ice cream, that always makes me happy."

"Okay," I said, "Chelsea am I really like that." I felt the need to ask.

"Yeah, but it's a good thing, I admire you and sometimes I wish I could be like you" she smiled and I smiled. That's why we are friends because we know how to make each other feel better, though usually she has boy problems and I do the cheering up.

Then I had to rub my eyes and squint, Chelsea looked at me as if I was crazy and said, "what's going on."

"Am I really that tired or is Cody at the door," I asked and she turned.

"No he's really there, you want me to get rid of him," she said cracking her knuckles.

"No I want to do it myself," I said. I watched as he looked around for a brief second and then he caught my gaze. He smiled and started to walk towards us. "Why are you here," I said bitterly.

"Cara, I made a mistake, you're the smartest and most beautiful girl I've ever dated," he said and it sounded sweet, but I fell for it once don't think it's going to happen again.

"Don't think I'm just going to fall for that sweet thing again," I said angrily.

"Come on, just let me explain myself," he smiled an innocent smile, "there's a trail out there we can walk."

"Why can't we just talk right here," I said.

"I kind of wanted to be alone and if it goes well a souvenir shop isn't very romantic," he said.

"Fine," I said and I looked over at Chelsea, "cover for me, it won't be long."

"Ar you really going to trust him," she said.

"We both know I can handle him," I said shrugging and followed him out to the trail.