Awakened.

My Junk

“Alright, I think we may just have to have another group number prepared just in case.” Mr. Schuester started.

“What was wrong with our number, Mr. Schue?” Finn asked, glancing around with confusion.

“While it was very energetic, I don’t think that the judges would approve of the language, Finn.” Mr. Schuester replied. “Does anyone have any suggestions?” He didn’t have to turn around to know that Rachel was waving her hand eagerly in the air.

“Yes, Rachel?” He called on her as he turned around, leaning against the piano.

“Mr. Schuester, I believe I know the perfect song for us girls to sing. It has a lighthearted message that the judges would not only find endearing but relatable, and there are enough parts for our strongest female singers to have a part each. It’s from the same 2007 Broadway show Spring Awakening, like the song the boys chose. Our song is called My Junk, and I think it would be perfect for us.” She said with a satisfied smile.

“I think that’s a great suggestion, Rachel. I think I have the sheet music around here somewhere…” He said, turning to look on the piano.

“No need, Mr. Schuester, I already made enough copies for all of us.” Rachel piped up, getting the music out of her bag and quickly distributing it to the rest of the group.

“If you don’t mind, Mr. Schue, I would like to take the part of Wendla. Santana, you can have the part of Martha, Quinn you can take Anna, and Tina you can have Thea.” Rachel said, turning around and looking at each of them in turn.

“What about Mercedes?” Kurt asked, glancing at Rachel with raised eyebrows and pursed lips.

“Mercedes is absent and I don’t believe this song is suited for her loud yet good vocal talents.” Rachel replied, turning away from Kurt to look at Mr. Schuester for approval. Mr. Schuester shrugged, as if to say that this was Rachel’s idea and she had a good point.

“Whoever wants the boy parts can sing them. There are two lines each for two boys. You can sing from the audience if you wish. Girls?” Rachel said, looking up at the girls. “If you will, please follow me.” She turned on her heel and began walking to the auditorium. With a glance to Artie, Tina stood up, slowly following her. Quinn and Santana shrugged, getting up and following as well. The entire Glee club got up and walked into the auditorium, wondering how this was going to work.

They sat in the audience in the first few rows, watching the stage. The lights slowly rose and the four girls stood on stage, their backs to the audience. By the power of Rachel Berry, they had managed to get costumes on, simple dresses that looked like they belonged in the 1800s. The music began playing, and the audience lights dimmed.

In the midst of this nothing, this miss of a life, still there's this one thing just to see you go by, Rachel sang, turning around and walking forward from her place on the outer left. Her eyes flickered over the audience, lighting up when she saw Finn.

It's almost like loving, sad as that is, Santana sang, turning and walking from her place on the outer right. She looked out into the audience, making eye contact with Brittany and smiling slightly, giving everyone a glimpse into the inner mind of Santana Lopez.

May not be cool, but it's so where I live, Tina started to sing, turning and walking from her place on the inner left, standing next to Rachel on center stage.

It's like I’m your lover or more like your ghost, I spend the day wondering what you do, where you go, Quinn sang, walking from her place on the inner right, taking her spot next to Santana. Her eyes glanced over the audience, smiling slightly when she made eye contact with Puck.

I try and just kick it but then what can I do? We've all got our junk, and my junk is you, Tina sang, smiling brightly at Artie. He blushed from the audience, grinning shyly at her.

See us, winter walking after a storm, it's chill in the wind but it's warm in your arms, we stop all snow blind, may not be true, we’ve all got our junk, and my junk is you, the girls sang in unison, skipping around stage in circles around each other, like a weaving pattern. Mr. Schuester raised his eyebrows in surprise. Rachel had managed to teach them choreography.

Well, you’ll have to excuse me; I know it’s so off, I love when you do stuff that’s rude and so wrong, Puck stood up in the audience, singing loud enough for the girls to hear him on stage. Quinn flashed him a thankful grin, and Puck smiled back, shrugging his shoulders as if to say I’ve got your back.

I go up to my room, turn the stereo on, shoot up some you in the you of some song, Finn sang standing up. Rachel turned around, smiling brightly at him. He grinned back, giving her a small two-fingered salute. Rachel and Santana skipped to the edge of the stage, sitting next to each other and letting their legs dangle over the edge.

I lie back just drifting and play out these scenes, I ride on the rush all the hopes all the dreams, Tina sang, walking forward and sitting on the outside of Rachel.

I may be neglecting the things I should do, we've all got our junk, and my junk is you, Quinn sang, taking her seat next to Santana.

See we still keep talking after you're gone, you still with me then feels so good in my arms, they say you go blind, maybe it's true, we've all got our junk, and my junk is you, they sang, Puck and Finn joining in as well.

It's like we stop time. What can I do? We've all got our junk, and my junk is you. My junk is you, my junk is you, you, you, you! They finished, the girls linking arms and grinning widely. The lights came back on and the rest of the Glee club began clapping, amazed once again. Rachel smiled proudly, looking at Mr. Schuester for his opinion.

“I think we may have found something for Sectionals!” He exclaimed, and the girls squealed with excitement, clapping their hands together excitedly. “Wonderful job girls, guys. Get changed and we’ll meet back up in the choir room.”