Awakened.

Whispering

Despite the fact that rehearsal had ended early, Mr. Schuester still wanted everyone to have a solo prepared. Quinn had put the sheet music from Artie on her desk, and the next night, she took another look at it. The name of the musical was printed across the top in neat, block letters. Spring Awakening. Quinn held the music in her hand and took a seat, quickly powering up her computer. With a few quick clicks of her mouse, she was looking up the musical on the Internet. Minutes later, she had found the sheet music for another song from the musical. She had read the lyrics several times over and printed it out. This was her solo. She had found it.

The next morning she got to school early. She held her books close to her chest, her sheet music safely tucked into one of them. She went to the band room and found the kids who played for the Glee club. She handed them a copy of the sheet music, letting them know that she would need them later on during rehearsal. They seemed a bit wary of her, because this time last year she had been sending them death glares just for existing, but they mumbled a “Sure” and nodded meekly. She thanked them politely and left, humming a few bars under her breath.

During lunch, she finished her small amount of food quickly, excusing herself from the table. Santana and Brittany merely exchanged a look and shrugged, but Mercedes lightly grabbed her wrist, looking at her with confusion. Quinn gave her a reassuring smile, and Mercedes nodded, letting her go. Quinn moved to the choir room, glancing in to make sure it was empty.

“Quinn? Is there something I can help you with?” She turned around, shaking her head.

“No, I’m good, Mr. Schuester. I was just going to practice, if that’s alright with you.”

“Sure. I’ll be in Miss Pillsbury’s office if you need me.” He said, giving her a small wave before walking away, leaving her alone. Quinn took a deep breath and walked inside the choir room, putting her books on a chair. She took the sheet music and closed the door halfway, not wanting anyone to walk in on her. She didn’t want anyone to see her performance before she was ready to show it.

Whispering, hear the ghosts in the moonlight, sorrow doing a new dance, through their bone, through their skin, she started, her quiet voice barely floating through the room. She glanced over her shoulder at the door, and when she was certain that no one was coming, she relaxed slightly.

Listening, to the souls in the fool's night, fumbling mutely with their rude hands, and there's heartache without end, Quinn sang, closing her eyes. Every time she had read these lyrics, she had a mental image of that night with Puck. It had been clumsy and unsmooth, and had left her with the worst feeling. She had cheated on Finn with his best friend, and like the song said, had left everyone involved with heartache.

See the father bent in grief, the mother dressed in mourning, sister crumbles, and the neighbors grumble, the preacher issues warnings, she continued, her voice gaining volume. Images of her father and mother when Finn told them about the baby floated behind her eyelids, her father’s rage and her mother’s disappointment twisting Quinn’s stomach. She knew they had told her sister, and her sister hadn’t spoken to her since. When she had left her house, she had seen the neighbors outside, watching her as if they had heard every word of what had just happened. Even her preacher heard about it, and Quinn had given up on church after several pointed glances during sermons.

History, little miss didn't do right, went and ruined all the true plans, such a shame, such a sin, Quinn sang, completely forgetting where she was. She felt the anger for her father’s abandonment of her rush through her, and she sang the line almost sarcastically, as if she was mocking him. Mystery, home alone on a school night, harvest moon over the blue land, summer longing on the wind, she continued, letting her hands wrap around her stomach.

Had a sweetheart on his knees, so faithful and adoring, and he touched me, and I let him love me, so let that be my story, she sang, a slight smile playing at the edges of her lips. Puck floated through her mind. Despite his usual tough exterior, Quinn had seen a softer side of him once, at the hospital. Having Beth may have done some serious damage to her life, but she had brought Quinn so many blessings as well. Like Puck.

Listening, for the hope, for the new life, something beautiful, a new chance, hear its whispering, there again, she smiled slightly wider as she sang, thinking about Beth. There had been many times where Quinn had wondered if giving her up was the right thing to do, but deep down Quinn knew she had done the little girl a huge favor. Despite her mother supporting her again, Quinn was still a teenager who wasn’t ready to take care of another person yet. Beth would be happy wherever she was, in a loving home with parents that would love her.

Quinn opened her eyes slowly, a content smile playing at her lips. She made a mental note to thank Artie later for showing her the musical, because this song was beautiful, and perfect. She moved forward and began grabbing her books, not noticing the person standing in the doorway.

Mr. Schuester smiled slightly, glad that he hadn’t disturbed Quinn. He had turned around to get some of his things, but when he heard her singing, he stopped. After listening to her sing, he smiled and turned around; walking towards Ms. Pillsbury’s office, trying to figure out how he would tell Rachel that Quinn would probably get the solo.
♠ ♠ ♠
i finished this at 2:30 am.
so if it doesn't make any sense, that's why.