Awakened.

Those You've Known

“We have seen several amazing performances this week. I’m extremely proud of all of you. I’ve taken the liberty of looking up the musical you all seemed to like so much, and I happened to find a song that I kind of liked. I want you to take a second to look it over.” Mr. Schuester said, passing out sheet music to everyone.

“If you’ll come with me, I’ll show you the choreography.” He said with a glint in his eye. After a few glances to each other, the Glee club stood up, following Mr. Schuester towards the auditorium. After he taught them what he wanted, he took his seat in the audience, sitting behind his little table. He nodded at Brad, who began playing the opening notes. Mr. Schuester leaned back in his chair, ready to watch.

The stage was completely dark, but after the intro music ended, a stage light came up on the right side of the stage, a small circle of light illuminating Artie.

Those you’ve known, and lost, still walk behind you, he sang, his simple black and white clothes not drawing any attention away from his voice.

Another stage light, right on cue, lit up Puck, on the opposite side of the stage. All alone, they linger till they find you, he sang, looking straight ahead.

Without them, the world grows dark around you, Kurt sang, his stage light coming up from the center right of the stage.

Finally, the last small stage light came on, lighting up Finn on center left. And nothing is the same until you know that they have found you, he sang. The band began playing their music, and the rest of the stage lights came on, filling the stage with light, showing the other kids standing behind the four boys. Rachel stepped forward, standing between Finn and Kurt.

Those you’ve pained, may carry that still with them, Rachel sang. Tina glanced at Artie, who kept staring ahead, pretending not to notice. He glanced at his hands, wanting to turn around and look at her but knowing he couldn’t.

All the same, they whisper: “All forgiven”, Quinn sang, stepping between Finn and Puck. She glanced up at Finn, who gave her a small smile and a slight nod. She smiled back, turning until she was facing forward again.

Still your heart says, the shadows bring the starlight, Tina sang, stepping between Kurt and Artie. She tried once more to catch his eye, but he continued to look forward. At the same time, both of them felt the same pain in their chests, right where their hearts were.

And everything you’ve ever been is still there in the dark night, Santana sang, stepping up to her spot next to Puck. She gave a quick glance over her shoulder to look at Brittany, who smiled warmly at her best friend. Reassured, Santana turned and faced the front, a smile tugging at the edges of her lips.

The boys all stepped back, merging with the other boys who had been standing behind them. The few girls who had been behind stepped forward, taking their places next to the other girls.

Though you know, you’ve left them far behind, you walk on by yourself, and not with them, still you know, they will fill your heart and mind, when they say there’s a way through this, the boys sang, lining up behind the girls, diagonal from their partners.

When the northern wind blows, the sorrows your heart holds, there are those who still know, they’re still home, we’re still home, the girls sang in counterpart, turning around to face their partners.

Those you’ve known, and lost, still walk behind you, all alone, their song still seems to find you, they all sang together. The girls reached for their partner’s hand, walking in a slow circle. Mr. Schuester watched the pairs, smiling slightly. There was Finn and Rachel, Brittany and Matt and Mercedes and Kurt, all of which were unsurprising. There was Santana and Puck, which made Mr. Schuester look for Quinn. She was at the end of the line, turning with Artie. Mr. Schuester cocked his head, and looked one pair over, where Tina and Mike were spinning. That explains it. He thought to himself, not really surprised that Quinn had offered to help Artie out by giving him a partner.

They call you, as if you knew their longing, they whistle through the lonely wind, the long blue shadows falling, they sang, stopping their spinning and lining up next to each other, causing a straight line across the stage of black and white clothing and beautiful voices. The lights dimmed, leaving a light on Finn.

All alone, but still I hear their yearning, he sang alone, reaching down and squeezing Rachel’s hand in the dark.

Through the dark, the moon, alone there, burning, Puck sang from his end of the line, a light coming up on him again. He glanced down the line at Quinn, who looked over at him and smiled softly, warmly.

The stars too, they tell of spring returning, Artie sang, a light shining down on him. He too glanced up at Quinn, who smiled down at him, their unusual friendship sealed in that moment.

And summer with another wind that no one yet has known, Kurt sang from the middle line, looking over at Mercedes. She gave him a warm grin, and he smiled, their fingers brushing against each others in the dark.

They call me, through all things, night’s falling, but somehow I go on, Finn sang, once again singing alone. You watch me, just watch me, I’m calling, from longing.

When the northern wind blows, the sorrows your heart’s known, I believe, Rachel began singing in counterpart, smiling up at Finn.

Still you know, there’s so much more to find, another dream, another love you’ll hold, Artie sang in counterpart to Finn and Rachel, his hands in his lap. He quickly glanced over at Tina, and saw that Mike had taken her hand into his. He looked back forward, feeling almost lonely.

Still you know, to trust your own true mind, on your way – you are not alone, there are those who still know, Puck sang, glancing down at Santana with a slightly amused smile. She smiled back at him, both of them knowing that they would be just friends from now on, and both of them were okay with that.

Now they’ll walk on my arm through the distant night, and I won’t let them stray from my heart, through the wind, through the dark, through the winter light, I will read all their dreams to the stars, Finn sang, solo again. Slowly, the pairs at the end turned and walked towards the back of the stage, their lights dimming out. Santana, Puck, Artie and Quinn stood in a line in the back, singing ooh quietly.

I'll walk now with them, I’ll call on their names, I’ll see their thoughts are known, Finn continued to sing alone, and Brittany, Matt, Tina and Mike turned and walked to the back, their lights turning off.

Not gone, not gone, Rachel sang before turning with Mercedes and Kurt, joining the others in the dark, leaving Finn alone on stage with a spotlight on him.

They walk with my heart, and I'll never let them go, I’ll never let them go, I’ll never let them go, you watch me, just watch me, I’m calling, I’m calling, and one day all will know, Finn finished, his light staying on, the only source of light on the otherwise dark stage.

Mr. Schuster grinned, standing up and clapping. “Really great, guys.” He said, loud enough for them to hear him. The stage lights came up, allowing Schue to see them all.

“Was it a ten?” Rachel asked, and Mr. Schuester chuckled.

“Definitely a ten, Rachel.”