Status: Contest entry-- finished

Waiting for the Sun

Chapter 5

"Sorry, Diem, you're off for the night," Mike said, looking down at the confused Asian in front of him.

Diem stared at Mike. She had been arguing with him for almost an hour about whether or not she was supposed to work that night. No one in the crew was ever given a day off during tour. Everyone needed to work in order to make things run smoothly. The only time the loading crew had time off was when they were too sick to lift things; Diem did not fit in that category. She didn't understand how she had the night off.

"Mike, I'm obviously not sick. Why can't I work?" Diem asked.

Mike sighed, "I'm not supposed to tell you. Just go backstage and watch your girlfriend perform."

"Hayley had something to do with this," Diem stated.

"I've already said too much."

"Why does she want me to watch her perform?"

"Its nothing bad, I promise. Just go and be happy. We can mange without you for the night."

"But—"

He cut her off, pushing her gently in the direction of the stage door, "Go."

"Fine," she grumbled, walking through the backstage door.

It wasn't that she didn't want to watch Hayley. Diem hadn't seen Hayley perform before and she was excited to watch for the first time. She just didn't like missing work. Her only job was the one she had working with the crew. She made enough money doing that to afford a tiny apartment and essentials. It wasn't right for her to miss out on a job that she only did for a certain amount of months every year.

Diem traveled through the backstage area. She had the area memorized by now. It wasn't difficult to learn. Even if she didn't know how to navigate the backstage hallways, she could follow the sound of Hayley's voice. Paramore was already on stage. A few songs into their set most likely.

Diem walked past other crew members, nodding her head in greeting. She stopped behind a set of curtains on the side of the stage overlooking the section where Hayley was singing. Her eyes glued to her girlfriend as she hopped up and down to get the crowd pepped while she sang. It was obvious Hayley loved what she did. Performing, touring, being a role model to her fans; it was what she lived for. Diem held a special respect for her girlfriend's ability to follow her dreams.

The song came to a close, leaving Hayley panting and fans screaming. Hayley glanced to the side of the stage, sighing in relief that her girlfriend was standing there. She had gotten word from some of the stagehands that Diem had been arguing about getting the night off. For a moment, she thought her girlfriend wouldn't watch her.

"Okay, guys," Hayley said into the carrot microphone, "I don't know if you know but part of the profit our merch table gets is going to go to an organization by the name of LOVE one forty-six. The organization is focused on putting an end to child sex slavery and exploitation, as well as restoration of survivors."

That's what LOVE one forty-six was? After Hayley had asked if the tattoo behind Diem's ear was dedicated to the organization, she didn't explain what the organization was. Knowing what it was now, Diem felt a sense of connection with it. They were putting an end to the hell she faced as a child.

"I found out today," Hayley started, "that someone very close to me was a victim of child sex slavery."

Diem's mouth dropped. She hadn't been expecting Hayley to tell anyone. She assumed Hayley would keep it a secret because she was ashamed to have a girlfriend who wasn't pure. Apparently, she had been wrong.

"I care about this girl with all of my heart. We've been close for over a year, almost the entire time she's been in the United States. And I just found out that she went through this. She was afraid to tell me about her life in Vietnam because she was afraid I would love her less," Hayley looked at Diem, "She doesn't realize that I'll love her no matter what she's been through and I'm proud of her for finding a way to escape."

Diem felt tears welling in her eyes. Hayley wasn't ashamed and that was all that mattered to her. She wasn't afraid to talk about Diem's life. She wasn't disappointed.

Diem mouthed the words "I love you" to Hayley, making the redhead smile. Hayley turned back to the crowd.

"This next song is for her, for the children of the movement who have been rescued and haven't been rescued yet but will one day. This is We Are Broken," Hayley sat at the keyboard that had been moved to the center of the stage.

A roar of applause came from the crowd as the song started. Diem listened, letting the lyrics sink into her brain. The words carried beautifully from Hayley's mouth. They held so much emotion, ones that Diem could relate to. Diem let tears fall down her cheeks. She couldn't help the feelings running through her.

The song came to an end sooner than Diem would have liked. She could listen to Hayley sing all day and still want more.

Hayley stood from the keyboard grabbing her microphone from the stand. Two stagehands walked onstage, grabbing the keyboard and seat. Hayley mumbled a "thank you" to them before turning back to the crowd.

"Today is a very special day for me," Hayley said the fans, "Do any of you know what today is?"

Some of the crowd yelled out the day's date; some yelled random answers; and others simply yelled "no." Hayley chuckled, walking around the stage.

"You guys are all wrong. Today marks the first full year of my relationship with my girlfriend," Hayley said.

The crowd cheered. Various congratulations were screamed. Diem smiled, unable to contain her own happiness. She and Hayley had made a year. It was big deal for her, just as it was a big deal for Hayley. Diem needed to think of something special to do for Hayley when they got back to the hotel room.

Diem knew exactly what she wanted to do; she didn't know how Hayley would respond.

"I want you all to help us celebrate tonight. To do that, I have to introduce you to my girlfriend. Diem Mai, could you please come out here?" Hayley smiled at Diem.

Diem froze in her spot. Hayley wanted her to go out there? That was not happening. Diem was perfectly comfortable standing backstage, out of the limelight. After being forced to work in a brothel, she hated attention of any kind.

Hayley picked up on Diem's discomfort and walked to where Diem stood behind the curtain. She took hold of Diem's hand, the heart halves she drew earlier becoming whole again.

"Baby, please come out there with me," Hayley whispered so the microphone wouldn't pick up the sound of her voice.

Diem shook her head rapidly. She couldn't go out there. There was no way she could go out there. Hayley wanted her to, she was aware of that. But she couldn't. It was nerve-wracking to be standing on stage in front of so many people. She didn't want to be exposed like that.

"Please," Hayley begged.

Diem sighed, staring into her girlfriend's pleading face. She couldn't say "no" to Hayley. Not when she was looking at her like that.

"Okay," Diem mumbled.

Hayley smiled, "Nothing bad will happen, I promise."

Diem nodded. Hayley tugged Diem's hand, leading her into the view of the crowd. Immediate screams of excitement came from the fans. Diem smiled nervously out at the crowd. She didn't know what Hayley had planned; she was just hoping it wasn't bad.

The couple stood in the center of the stage, hands clasped. Hayley squeezed her girlfriend's hand in hopes of calming the obvious nerves surging through her body. Why the younger female was so scared, she didn't know. There wasn't anything to be afraid of.

"Okay, everyone. This is my girlfriend Diem Mai. Can I hear everyone said 'hi, Diem?'" Hayley said into her microphone.

A chorus of "Hi, Diem" came from the crowd. Diem gave a short wave in return. Her fear was slowly subsiding the longer she stood on the stage.

"Thanks, guys. I wanted to ask Diem an important question tonight and I figured why not do it in front of the fans," Hayley said.

The fans cheered, obviously approving Hayley's decision. Hayley turned to Diem, who bit her lip. What was so important that Hayley felt the need to ask her in front of her fans?

"Diem, I love you. You know I love you. You know I'll be with you through any obstacle, whether it be a situation from the past or situation in the future. I don't care where you've been; I care about now. And, right now, I would do anything to be near you. I can't ask you to marry me legally but I can ask you to move in with me. I can't stand being apart from you when we're in Tennessee. We can get a bigger apartment or even a house and I'll make sure the kitchen is furnished enough for you to enjoy. Diem, would you please move in with me?" Hayley asked, speaking into the microphone so the fans could hear.

Diem's mouth hung open, shocked. Her girlfriend asked her to move in with her. It was almost as big a step as having sex in Diem's eyes. When she moved to the United States, she opted for living alone as opposed to living in a foster home for a year due to the freedom she was excited to have. She was forced to live with a man who hurt her for so long, living on her own was a nice change. Was she willing to give up that freedom to live with Hayley?

"Yes," Diem said, the microphone picking up the noise, "Of course."
♠ ♠ ♠
The idea to have Paramore give a certain set of profits to LOVE 146 wasn't my idea. They did it at the Final Riot concert in New Orleans on August 6 in 2008. And Hayley dedicated the song We Are Broken to the movement. I only know it happened there because I was at that concert; I'm sure it happened at various other concerts.
Gay marriage isn't legal in Tennessee. Gay marriage is performed in Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Washington D.C., and California; it is recognized in (but not performed in) New York, Rhode Island, and Maryland. I'm pretty sure that's an up to date listing.
Thank you to Bull. (the contest head) for the three comments, Ashley..., happyamanda, and Emmmm!!!!!.
And thank you to the people who have subscribed.
There's one left to post!
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste