Breathe

1/1

The bedroom window is open and it let’s the steamy, humid air of summer in. It condenses inside my lungs and underneath my eyelids. I breathe it in and I breathe it out. It smells sour and sweet like sycamore trees outside. I breathe it in and I breathe it out.

The clock reads 3:24 in the morning. The moon is shining bright through my window and I cannot sleep. The early morning slowly washes by. I think of distant oceans and seas. I think of the shining bright moon pulling the tides. My bedroom is a raft floating on slowly rolling waters. I breathe in the pungent salt of the water. I am as far away from the water as one can dream, but I breathe it out.

The thick, black tar of loneliness envelopes me. I can’t think a word. I can’t say a thing. The whole world is outside my window. The moon glitters in my palms; uninhabited and lonely. My chest is full of jewels and all of my forgotten memories. I breathe in the sorrow. I whisper it out to my bed sheets.

It is so early in the morning, dawn has yet to break, but I am wide awake. The moon is shining and the air is thick. It’s so quiet; the silence takes the breath from my lungs. The loneliness collapses my ribcage. I want the world. I want the quiet beauty of someone falling asleep next to me. I want all my wasted days back. I want to sing to the birds and own the moon. I want you, whoever the hell you are.

But for now, I wait. I wait and let the feeling engulf me. I breathe it in and I gently breathe it out.