A Good Smoke

1/1

“Oh baby,” Brandon moaned out. His boyfriend, James, was going down hard on him.

The two boys were upstairs alone in the room. There was a party currently going on downstairs beneath them, but they didn’t care. Of course if they got caught, it would be a whole different situation. It’s not like everyday you seen the two football stars fucking each other.

“Mmm,” James said. He was lying on Brandon’s perspiring chest. He wiped Brandon’s brown bangs from his sweat and admired his handsome freckled face.

Running a finger on top of James’ buzz cut hair, Brandon grinned. “This is everything I’ve always wanted.” Taking a deep breath, Brandon decided to finally tell him what had been on his mind ever since they’ve been going out. “I think it’s time.”

“Time for what?”

“Time to tell everybody about us.”

James abruptly got off of Brandon and sat up straight on the bed. “What do you mean?”

“James! It’s not like we can keep this a secret forever. Damn, I thought you knew better than that. Why are so negative about this? It’s like you’re ashamed of being gay.”

Not looking Brandon in the eye, James continued his stare at the creamy white bed sheets. “It’s not that Brandon. You know that I love you. But I just can’t tell everybody this. It’s not easy. They’re not going to be accepting. Plus I’ve got Skye, man. I can’t do this to her.”

Rolling his eyes at the mention of James’ girlfriend, Brandon huffed. “What about Skye? Just dump her. It’s that easy. If she loves you like she claims she does, then she’ll be fine.”

“You don’t understand. I couldn’t do anything like that to Skye. She’s a great girl. Probably one of the best I have ever met,” James said truthfully.

“Whatever James.”

“You don’t have to cock up an attitude,” he snapped.

“Fuck off,” Brandon said.

“Yeah!? Well I will,” James replied back furiously. He got up from the bed and threw the covers off of him. He grabbed his pants and shoved his legs through the holes. He shoved his feet into his tennis shoes. He grabbed his green plaid American Eagle button up shirt and threw it over his back. Not even bothering to button up his shirt, he flung the door open and stomped down the stairs. Making his way threw the crowded party, he walked out the front door and stood outside looking at the horizon.

Brandon lay dumbfounded in the bed. As soon as everything clicked in his brain, he jumped up. He shoved his pants and shoes on. He hastily tugged his yellow Aeropostale shirt on and threw on his leather jacket. He broke into a small jog down the stairs and zigzagged his way through the party. Noticing that somebody was outside through the glass front door, he looked closely. Much to his relief, it was James. Running out the front door, Brandon made his way over to James. He lightly touched James on the shoulder, which turned out to be a grave mistake.

“Don’t fucking touch me!” James hollered out.

Shocked, Brandon’s jaw dropped. “What’s wrong with you?”

“What’s wrong?” James asked incredulously. “What’s wrong? Everything is wrong. I’m cheating on my girlfriend with a guy who also just happens to be my best friend. Does something sound wrong with that Brandon? Cause it sure as hell does to me.”

“But James,” Brandon quietly said. “I need you.”

James scoffed. “Whatever.”

Infuriated, Brandon couldn’t believe it. If James was going to be an asshole, then he was going to be one too. Digging in his coat pocket, he pulled out his cigarettes. Putting a fag up to his lips, he inhaled then exhaled. After repeating the notions for a few minutes, he looked back up at James. “Well, what does this mean?”

“How the hell am I suppose to know? I’m not leaving Skye.”

Zipping up his leather jacket, Brandon dropped his cigarette and stomped on it. He took one last look at the sweeping horizon and then to James. Without saying anything else, he turned around and began walking toward the road. Without one last look back, he followed the road to it’s unknown direction.

He had no idea where he was going, but wherever it was, it was surely better than where he was coming from.