Status: being written (:

There's Nothing In This World She Can Count On

Chapter 8

Piper walked slowly over to her mother, unconscientiously wishing that maybe, just maybe, her eyes would never open. Her mother rolled over and looked up at her with vacant eyes.
“Where the hell have you been?” she slurred together her words, releasing a bit of spit into Piper’s face. “I’ve been pacing this house, wondering where in the hell my daughter has disappeared to. Do you know how worried I was?” She tried to stand up, but stumbled into the wall, only to sink back to the floor again.
“Worried about me??? Worried about me??? When’s the last time you ever worried about me??? You just needed another damn reason to drink. If you were really worried, you would have put down the booze long enough to realize I was in the hospital!” Piper spit those words at her mother. They spilled out of her mouth from a place deep inside that she hadn’t even known was there. She had put up with her mother for 16 years and something about this situation made her snap.
“Who the hell do you think you are?!” her mother screamed. “What makes you think you can talk to me that way?!” She had set her mother off. She was picking up furniture, tossing it every which way. Yelling and screaming profanities at the air.
Piper too off running for the door. Her mom picked up a glass lamp and threw it, just barely missing Piper’s head, smashing into the wall. Piper bee-lined for the door, dodging household items. She made it outside and started running with no idea as to where she was going. She just had to get as far away from her mother as possible.
She ran up and down streets until her lungs felt like they were going to explode. When she got this feeling, she pushed herself harder. The pain gave her something to focus on, something to feel. Because right now, she wasn’t sure what she felt. She was angry and terrified, but relieved that she had finally given her mother some of what she deserved.
Piper ran to the only place she felt safe, the roof top. Here, looking over this miserable town, no one could touch her. She laid down on the cold ground and closed her eyes. She found herself missing Anthony. She wished he was there. She so desperately needed someone to talk to. She’d never felt that way before. She was so used to being a loner, feeling like she didn’t need anyone but herself. Right now, she felt out of control, vulnerable, and like she just needed someone to listen to her and tell her it was going to be okay. She needed Anthony.
Why had she been so stupid and not even thought to get his number? She had been so concerned with being with his at the exact moment that she didn’t even think about the future. She turned over on her side and found herself crying. She couldn’t hold it back anymore. She let herself go.
“Piper??” came a familiar voice behind her. She turned over to see Anthony staring frightened down at her. “What’s wrong??” He took a seat beside her, sitting up straight, ready to hear everything like a dog awaiting a bone. “Tell me Piper!” So that’s what she did. She unleashed a whole 16 years worth of pain and hurt onto a guy she had just met this morning and he sat there and listened to every word of it, nodding and adding commentary in all the right places. He had moved closer to her and now had her head in his lap, rubbing her hair as she explained just how she ended up here tonight. “I can’t believe your mom did that to you! I don’t understand some people! How could you do that to your child?!” he exclaimed when she had finished her story.
“I’ve been asking myself that same question for years.” She looked up at him. He was staring up at the night sky, shaking his head in disbelief. “You always seem to find me when I’m in trouble. Is it just a coincidence or are you always on the lookout for a damsel in distress?” She asked with a smile. Anthony wiped a small tear that had remained stationary on her cheek.
“I missed you. I realized I didn’t get your number, so I came to the roof hoping you’d be up here. My need to talk to you is saving your life.” He winked at her.
The moonlight hit his face in such a way that it made Piper catch her breath. He was so beautiful. Anthony stared down at her and moved a strand of hair out of her eyes, then smiled. They remained this way for a minute or two, but it wasn’t awkward. They were saying everything they couldn’t find the words to through their eyes. Anthony leaned down and kissed Piper’s lips gently, caressing her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments anyone? :)