I Liked it Better When They Were Young

Truths, lies and mind games

Friday 16th September 3:31pm
*Sophie's P.O.V*

“Billie?” I asked again. “What happened last year?” He blinked a couple of times before facing me.

“Well, last year I overdosed on alcohol, before blacking out in an alleyway somewhere.” I nodded, but not too hard. I knew that from Mike, but I didn’t dare say. Maybe it was something he shouldn’t have told me. Billie continued.

“Mike came and found me. Without him, I could have, I probably would have died...” He trailed off and started a new sentence.

“Anyway, the next day, we got into a fight, probably the worst fight we’ve ever had.” I nodded again, listening carefully. “Luckily, we forgave each other, but... uh...” Billie shook his head.

“My drinking almost ruined my relationship with one of my best friends.” He paused. “My BEST friend.” He looked at me anxiously. “I.... I don’t want that to happen again...”
I frowned. This was the quietest he’d ever spoken to me. He bit his lip, looking at me carefully, as if a single gaze from his eyes would make me shatter into a million pieces.

“I don’t wanna hurt you...”

“Billie, what are you talking about?” I asked quietly, very confused. He made more sense when he was drunk!

“I’ve gotta go...” Billie whimpered, getting off the swing and running off across the park.

“Billie, wait!” I tried to run after him, but he was too fast. “Come back!” I yelled after him. “Where are you going?” There was no answer, as he got smaller and smaller. I sighed and sat back down on the swing. He was a weird piece of work. I then heard wild screaming in the distance. School was out.

I quickly got off the swing and picked up my bag. Billie had left his too, in his haste to leave, so I picked it up. I put the remains of the cherry pie in the bin. The chavs would be down the park any minute now. And they would not be treated to a cherry pie.

Sunday 18th September 1:49pm

“Hi Billie, it’s me, again, I have your school bag, remember? And I know you’ve got at least one of these messages, so call me, we’ll talk. Bye.”

I hung up, having left a message for Billie for the millionth time. He still hadn’t called me back. Was he screening me?

I slumped to the floor, sighing deeply. I felt pain in my stomach, as though I needed to cry, let it out, but I was too tired to bother. It was the feeling of depression. I wiped my eyes of a small stain of emotion. I needed to talk to someone. I couldn’t do this all over again.

I sighed again and picked up Billie’s school bag. I looked over his badges to distract me. “The Clash, The Ramones, Stiff Little Fingers, The Who....” I smiled. Our music taste was pretty similar. But if we were so damn similar, if we got on so well, why was he ignoring me?

I picked myself up off the ground and pushed my fringe out of my eyes. If he wouldn’t return my calls, if he was going to ignore me, I would give him no choice but to talk to me.

“I’m going out!” I yelled to mom and dad. No reply. I don’t know why I bother. I could yell, “There’s blood coming out of my ears” And I would get no response. I started off down the path to Billie’s house. I was going to return his bag, and in doing so, force him to talk to me.

*Tre’s P.O.V*

In my room, under the covers. I hope I never wake up. The girl I like hates me and prefers some smooth talking drug fucked slut, who, I’m sorry, wears more make up than most drag queens. She skives with him, does his dirty work with him, sticks up for him, maybe even loves him...

I shuddered at the thought. Me and Sophie hadn’t spoken for a week now, because of him. That’s another thing I don’t like about him, he calls her Soph. Is her real name too much of an effort for him? I heard the doorbell play it’s naff little tune.

“Mom, that’s the door!” I yelled hoarsely. I clutched my throat. Maybe I had lost the ability to speak because I hadn’t in so long. Mom must have heard me though because I heard her answer the door.

“Oh, hello, have we met?” I heard her ask, sounding slightly worried. I listened intently and heard someone reply.

“Uh, no, not that I know of. Is, um, is Tre there?” I frowned. Only Soph knew me as Tre, but it was definitely a male voice. It could be Mike. But Mike always teased me about being called Frank Edwin Wright III, so why would he ask for Tre?

“Trey? There’s no Trey here I’m afraid, are you looking for Frank?” Silence. Then I heard the stranger say, “Yeah, he’ll do.”

“Ok, then...” There was silence, then my mom asked, “Uh, Frank II or Frank III?”

“Huh? What are you talking about, lady, I just wanna speak to your son....” It was him! It was the drag queen, the drug fucked slut! He had the nerve to show up at my house! How did he even find out where I lived?? Well, I suppose his hit-woman (Sophie) must have told him.

“Well, that’s Frank III, hold on a second.” My mom then came half way up the stairs and yelled, “Frank, it’s for you!” I heaved myself out of bed and trudged down the stairs, coming face to face with Billie. Mom gave us both a little smile and went back into the living room. Billie raised his eyebrows at me.

“Ok then. What kind of family do you have here Tre?” I shrugged. What do you say to that?

“How’ve you been?” Billie asked me, “I haven’t seen you in a while.”

“Yeah, well I haven’t been around to be seen.” I said cuttingly, “Given that I go to school on a regular basis.” Billie sighed and dug his hands deeper in his pockets,

“Ok, I can see we’re not even gonna be able to make this pleasant, so, what say we take a walk? I have to talk to you about something.” I shrugged again. I always went this way when I saw him. I had no idea what to say to him. The weird thing about Billie was that even though I despised him, I still wanted him to like me.

“I need to get changed.” I said, tugging at my sleeve to draw attention to the fact I was in my pyjamas. Billie simply nodded.

“Ok. I’ll wait.” Well that was it then. I had no choice but to go with him. I dashed up the stairs and threw on a pair of clean jeans and a “Lookouts” t shirt. I own a t shirt for my own band, how self absorbed? I then tied my trainer shoelaces and came downstairs again. I mimed at Billie to wait one more minute, then I went through to the living room.

“Mom, I’m just gonna go out for a bit, ok?” Mom almost spat out her tea.

“You’re going out? But you never go out! You’ve been in bed for the past week!” My dad chuckled from behind his newspaper. I hated my parents. Like, really hated them.

“Yeah, I wasn’t feeling well.” I said to them, “But I’m good now.”
“Are you going out with that boy who showed up at the door?” Mom asked me, now interested, “Who is he?”

“I know him from school, he’s friends with Sophie.”

“Oh, I see. What age is he?”

“Uh, sixteen, I think.”

“Uh huh, what’s his name?”

“Why the sudden interest?” I snapped, “His name is Billie Joe, he goes to my school, he’s sixteen years old and he’s friends with Soph!” Oh my god. It’s rubbing off, I’m calling her Soph! “What else do you want to know, his shoe size?”

“Hmmm.” Dad muttered, sucking the end of his pen.

“Hmmm what?” I asked.

“Hmm? Or sorry, I was just trying to figure out six across.” I left.

“Right let’s go.” I said to Billie, closing the door. “Let’s make this as long as possible.” Billie smiled.

“Ok, so where are we going?” I laughed bitterly.

“You invited me! I’ll let you decide.”

“OK, OK, don’t get all squinky...”

“Squinky? Is that even a word?”

“Sure, I saw it on Friends.”

“Oh, well, that makes it a work...” I muttered.

“Let’s go to the park.” Billie continued, ignoring my comment. I shrugged again, as we walked along the pavement together. I had a sudden desire to hum, “The Odd Couple”.

“So what did you want to talk to me about?” I asked him. Billie looked at me. Why did it always feel like he was looking down on me? He was only an inch taller than me. If there was ever a working class snob, Billie was it.

“Well....” Billie began, “I kind of twisted my words. It’s not something I want to talk to you about, it’s someone.” I swear my face went a little paler.

“Oh yeah?” I asked, trying to sound casual, but squeaking like a demented mouse.

“I want to talk to you about Sophie.” Billie said, confirming my worst fears. He never called her Sophie. Never. It was always, “Soph” from him. I nodded, in a little daze. We walked down the dirt path to the park and sat on the swings. Well, that was it. They were going out. The end of the world was upon us all. Why else would he make the effort to come to my house and humiliate me? He had come to gloat.

“Ok, um, Tre...” Billie began, “You know this girl a lot better than I do, and um... I need some advice.” I cocked an eyebrow.

“You want advice from me?”

“Well not advice, but, In... Information.”

“Information?”

“Yeah.”

“From me?”

“Look, I know we haven’t been the best of friends....”

“You can say that again.”

“But I don’t know who else to ask!”

“Well, why are you asking in the first place? Unless you like her...”

“I never said that! I’m just saying....” I waited for him to stop squirming. This was turning into a very interesting situation.

Billie put his head in his hands.
“God, I don’t know what I’m saying anymore.” He ran a hand through his hair and turned back to me. “Ok, look. I spent the day with her on Friday and we got to talking, and I told her some stuff that I now regret saying. So....” He sighed, “Tell me about her.” I gaped at him.

“What do you mean?”

“Anything, just tell me something.” He settled on the swing. I faltered.

“Well, what do you want to know?” Billie considered this.

“What was she like before I met her? I mean, did she have any problems?” I shrugged.

“I don’t know....”

“Don’t come innocent with me.” Billie snapped, “You’re her best friend, you must know something.”

“Exactly. I’m her best friend. Which means I don’t go telling just anyone what she’s been through.”

“ I’m not just anyone! I’m her friend too. And what has she been through?”

“I said no.” Billie sighed exasperatedly.

“Look, why don’t I tell you what I know already?” I shrugged again. Billie took my shrug as a yes.

“Well, she said to me on Friday that she was really shy and within herself and didn’t talk to people much. Even to you.” I nodded,

“Well, she’s never fully discussed it with me, but I knew something was wrong with her. She was certainly not entirely happy.” Billie’s brow furrowed.

“But, she’s ok now, isn’t she?” I smirked.

“Oh, I’m sure she’s ok now. You’re here now.” Billie cocked an eyebrow at my snide remark. I continued, “I mean, why wouldn’t she be ok?” Billie squinted at me, a small smile on his face.

“Uh, I don’t know. Maybe coz you guys had a falling out? About me?” I froze. I should have known I couldn’t play mind games with him or match him insult for insult.

“She told you about that?” I asked softly. Billie shrugged. “What else did she tell you?” I asked, feeling very like crying. Sophie told me everything. Not some guy she’d only known for a couple months. Billie smirked.

“Tables have turned a bit haven’t they?” I snorted. He got up off the swing. “I’ll see you around Tre.” He started up the path. Bastard. Always had to have the last word.

“She tells me stuff too, you know!” I yelled, in a desperate attempt to turn the tables again. But I got the feeling I’d left it too late.

“I dare say she does.” Billie called back casually, continuing up the path without a backward glance.

“About you!” I blurted out as a last resort. It was a lie, but it was my last chance. It worked! He turned around very slowly. I had his attention finally! “She tells me stuff about you!”

*Billie’s P.O.V*
I walked slowly back to where Tre was standing. Oh fucking hell. What had she told him about? My dad? September 1st? Or even worse, the overdose?

“What has she told you?” I asked, trying to keep my voice more curious rather than desperate.

“I’m not telling you!” Tre said triumphantly in a sing song voice. It was times like this where I felt like punching him. I looked deep into his eyes. He blinked.

“You’re lying.” I said coolly. Tre shrugged.

“Believe what you want.” He said, just as coolly. He was really starting to irritate me. He stared at me defiantly, not giving up without a fight. I decided to leave it. I was too tired for mind games.

“I’m gonna go now Tre.” I said to him. He didn’t say anything back. Just kept staring at me with those manic blue eyes. I walked away from the park, waiting until I was out of his sight before I ran. I ran as far away and as fast as I could. I didn’t even know where I was running to. But I knew what I was running from. Tre. With his mind games and his manic eyes. And his lies. Or were they truths?

*Mike’s P.O.V*
I heard a knock at the door. I got up off the sofa and went to open it. It was Soph. Holding Billie’s school bag.

“Hey.” I said, “I wondered where that had gone.” She smiled. “Billie left it on Friday. He’s not there, is he?”

“Nope, afraid not. He’s been out the whole day.” She looked a bit disgruntled, but she shrugged it off. “He‘s been out all weekend actually. He came home all weird on Friday.” She nodded.

“Really?”

“Yeah.” I paused, “You were with him on Friday, right?” She raised one eyebrow, before saying yes.

“Do you know when he‘ll be back?” She asked me hopefully. I shook my head. She looked at her shoes. “Oh, ok. Well, tell him hi from me.”

“Will do.” There was an awkward silence, as she stood on the doorstep and I stood in the hallway. She then hastily handed the bag, uttered a small thanks and disappeared. I watched her go, then called out behind me, “She’s gone.”

Billie stepped out of the shadows.

“Thanks.” He said softly. I sighed.

“What happened with you two?”

“Nothing.” Billie muttered, walking through to the living room.

“Don’t give me that.” I laughed, “Something’s happened. You know it, I know it. She knows it.”

“Drop it Mike.” Billie said wearily, sinking into the nearest armchair.

“But....”

“Just... drop it.” I laughed inwardly.

“Fine then. Don’t tell me. You will soon enough. You can’t keep anything to yourself for long.” Billie snorted, lighting up a fag.

“This is something that everyone already knows.” He took a drag, “I just won't admit to it.”

“That you like her.” Billie said nothing. I sighed.

“Fine, I‘ll drop it.” Billie smiled contentedly, finally getting the answer he wanted. I smirked.

“But only coz I know already.”