Status: Partners in Crime!

There's No Way To Fix Us

Eighteen

*Brad*
I opened my eyes to Carla sitting up, Indian-style, watching the Georgia Tech versus Georgia game.
"Morning, sleepy," Carla laughed, looking down at me with her beautiful, crystal-white smile.
"Tech is gonna win, baby," I said, sitting up beside her, stretching.
"I'm not so sure this game. Georgia is doing pretty good. Course, I still have faith in Tech," Carla said, her eyes glued to the television.
I looked out the window, watching birds. I turned at the sound of the door opening.
"Carla Wilson, right?" A doctor said, smiling at Carla.
"The one and only," Carla said.
"How are you feeling today, Ms. Wilson?" The doctor asked, holding a small, wooden clipboard.
"Better than last night, that's for sure. I'm fine, can I go home, please?" Carla said, giving the doctor a puppy dog face.
"Yes, you may after we check your vitals. Let me go get your nurse," The doctor said, nodding at Carla while he wrote things down.
After the doctor left, Carla turned towards me. She smiled.
"Yes, beautiful?" I smirked at her.
"I haven't gotten my good morning kiss," She said, giving me the same puppy dog face.
I laughed at her and brushed her hair back behind her ear. When I leaned in, she met me in the middle. I could feel her smile breaking through the kiss, and I honestly just loved this moment. I could feel her pressing her body against mine, and her arms were latched around my neck. I laughed and pulled slightly away.
"You're about to be released. Just control it until we can get out of the hospital," I told her, smirking at her blushing.
The doctor walked in three seconds later, this time with a strawberry blonde, 5 ft. 2 in. nurse behind him. As the nurse began checking Carla's vitals, I climbed out of the bed.
After the nurse had finished, the doctor dismissed Carla. I walked, hand-in-hand, with her to my car.
When we finally got there, she pulled me into the back seat. I laughed at her, shaking my head. She made me get in first, and then she climbed in after me. She stared at my face, looking for my reaction. I looked back at her, waiting to see what she would do.
"Brad, you won't do it, I know," Carla said to me, frowning.
"Guilt trip? Carla, you're right. I won't right now. This isn't the place or time," I said, taking her face in my hands.
She frowned, tears forming in her eyes. She uttered, "You don't want me."
"Carla, all I ever want is you. All of you, every second of my life. I just... It's not where I want our first time together," I said, kissing her wet cheeks.
"Promise?" She asked, looking into my eyes, searching for the truth.
"Yes, I promise, sweetheart," I said, kissing her forehead.
After I calmed her down, she let me get into the driver seat. I started up my car, swung it into reverse, and left the hospital. I decided to go to my house and see if I could clean some of it up.
When we pulled into my driveway, I saw Steph's car sitting there. Scar and Steph were sitting on the porch, laughing. They looked up at us, and Steph ran, full throttle, to Carla.
"Carls, baby!" Steph said, grabbing Carla in a big bear hug.
"Why are you here?" I asked Steph, seeing as my front yard alone looked in better condition.
"We cleaned for you," Scar said while she walked towards us.
Steph and Carla whispered in each other's ears, giggling.
“Love you, darling,” Scar said, hugging me tightly.
“Love you too, Scar,” I said, watching Carla.
“Just admit it, Brad. You and her are meant to be,” Scar told me, smiling.
“I know we are. There is absolutely no denying it,” I said.
After we finished tidying up my house, Steph and Scar left. That left me and Carla, all alone.
“Want me to cook you dinner, baby girl?” I asked her, seeing the longing in her eyes. The longing for me, for us.
“Well, what I really want is….” Carla began.
“What you really want is what you aren’t getting this very second, baby,” I told her, shaking my head.
“Fine, you bully. What can I have to eat then?” She asked me, winking.
“Hmm, how about tacos? Does that suit you?” I asked her, looking through my fridge.
“I guess so,” She said, hopping up on the counter.
She eyed me carefully, watching me pull out the hamburger meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, and a few other things. I grabbed a pan and put the hamburger meat in it, turning the stove up about midway, letting the meat begin its slow cook. As I walked by Carla to my pantry, she grabbed my waist, trying to make me stop.
“Brad, this isn’t fair,” she huffed out, giving me the puppy dog face just like she had the doctor.
“Carla, this isn’t happening. Please, stop,” I begged, wondering if I really could hold out, could hold back.
“Brad, take me home,” Carla demanded, “Now.”
“Carla, why are you SO focused on sex? Seriously, why does it matter? Are you really that eager to join all the whores?” I shut my mouth, but not soon enough. Because what I had said, she had taken it to heart. Thought I meant she was, thought I really didn’t want her. She held my gaze for a second then dropped her eyes to her lap.
Carla slowly slid off the counter and went into my living room and slumped onto the couch. I returned to the hamburger meat before it began to burn, but I could hear her sobs, though she tried to cover them with a couch cushion. I added seasoning to the meat, mixed it up, then strained it. I made Carla a few soft tacos, put them on her favorite plate, the one with the flowers interlacing and the interlocked hands barely visible behind the wall of flowers. I grabbed a Sprite for her and headed to the living room.
She tensed when she heard me enter the room and tried to calm herself. I set her drink and plate on the coffee table and eased myself down beside her. She raised her red, tear-filled eyes and looked me in the face.
“Go away,” she whispered.
“Carla, I didn’t mean it. You will never be one of those; you’ll never be like them. I’m just stressed,” I said, not wanting to leave her while she was so broken.
She sat up and began to eat, but wouldn’t look at me. She was trying to calm herself down, and I decided to give her some distance.
“I’m going up to my room for a second, I’ll be back down. I love you,” I said, hoping those last three words would have some effect, no matter how small.
Carla stared blankly at her plate, ignoring me. I walked upstairs, down the hall, and into my room. I sat down on the bed and buried my head into my hands, wondering what else would happen tonight. Wondering if all this hurting her was worth it, or should I just let her go and move on? Then, I heard my front door close. I stood up, listening carefully. I heard my car door slam. MY car door? The engine roared to life as I stepped to my window. I saw Carla put it in reverse and head down the road.
I jammed the speed dial that held her number and waited for her to answer. She ignored my call. Tried again, and got ignored. One more time, and she answered, “What do YOU want?”
“Bring my car back here, now,” I said, worried that she was going somewhere she shouldn’t.
“Why should I, huh?” Carla teased, the pain in her voice still lingering.
“Where are you going?” I demanded.
“’I’ll be back later tonight. Don’t wait up,” she said. Then, she hung up.
I collapsed onto my bed and gave up. I closed my eyes and nodded off, wanting to get away.
***
I woke up when I heard my cell phone ringing. I reached over and grabbed it, looking at the caller ID.
It reads “Charles” and I know where she is. Blue Moon, that doesn’t surprise me. I open the phone and manage a “Hey, what’s up, bro?”
“She’s here, you know. With me, Brad. She was tired of waiting for you,” Charles said.
“Charles, what the hell did you do to her?” I snapped, trying to think of how to get there.
“She crawled straight into my arms, Brad. We had sex, something she said you aren’t man enough to do,” Charles laughed.
“I’ll kill you, man. Just wait,” I growled, hanging up the phone.
I finally glanced at the clock. It was only 11:45 pm.
I dialed Scar’s number into my cell, knowing Steph wasn’t an option yet.
“What the hell do you want?” She snapped at me.
“I know it’s late, but I need to get to Blue Moon. NOW!” I demanded.
“Where’s your car?” Scar asked, clearly sounding like I had woke her up.
“Carla took it. She got in it and drove off. Scar, please just take me. She slept with Charles,” I choked up at the end, feeling hurt and furious. Now I knew what Carla went through when she got the call about me sleeping with Sam.
“I’ll be there in 5 minutes, darling,” Scar said.
I closed my phone and fell back on the bed. Anger pulsed through my body, through my veins. I couldn’t believe what Charles had said, because it was impossible. She wouldn’t do that.
I looked out my window to see Scar’s car waiting patiently. I bolted out of my room, raced to her car, and slammed the door when I climbed in.
It took me a second before I realized there was someone in the backseat. I growled and managed, “Steph, you shouldn’t be here.”
“She’s not just important to you, Brad. She’s important to all of us. Plus, with your temper, I might need to get her away from you,” Steph said, her face pained and irritated.
“Steph, screw off,” I snapped. “She had sex with him. With Charles. You’re going to sit here and tell me you think that bothers you even close to as much as it bothers me? Think again.”
Scar swung her car into a parking spot, and I jolted out of the car. Chris was waiting outside on a bench, looking amused.
“Carla is in your car, and Charles is inside the bar with Sam,” Chris said.
“Go get him, I’m going to beat the hell out of him,” I said.
“Brad, just take her home and forget it. He made a mistake, don’t ruin your friendship because of it,” Chris said, staring at me.
“Chris, she’s mine. He knew that. He should’ve kept his pants on,” I said, returning his stare with my own glare.
“Go home, Brad. This won’t end well,” Chris said, taking a step forward. He sounded like he was pleading with me.
“I’ll be back, you know that. Chris, tell him that we have to talk. I’m not just going to let it slide so easy,” I said, shaking my head.
“Alright, Brad. Just think it over and calm down. Remember what you’ve done with Sammy. That bothers him, too, you know.”
“Goodbye, Chris. Scar, you and Steph meet me back at my house,” I said, walking around to my car door.
“Brad, let me ride with you,” Steph said, demanding more than asking.
“Steph, I won’t hurt her,” I looked at Steph, wondering how she could even think I’d do it to Carla. Of course, she knew I was unpredictable.
“Brad, please. Just to be safe,” Steph begged.
"Fine, get in," I said as I climbed into the driver seat and my car roared to life.
Carla was fast asleep in the back, looking content and happy.
I pulled out of the parking lot and headed back towards my house with a silent Steph and a sleeping Carla.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that it's been so long. I had written part of this chapter then lost it because my PC crashed. Also, haven't felt much inspiration but now I'm putting this up. For anyone still reading, thank you. I'll try not to let this happen again. Sorry for the wait, hope you enjoyed it.