Status: Partners in Crime!

There's No Way To Fix Us

Four

*Brad*
I tapped my pencil on the desk. Carla still wasn't at school. I was so worried.
Suddenly, the door opened. Carla walked in with a blue slip of paper.
"Take your seat by Brad, Carla," Mr. Halloway said.
I tensed up. I couldn't be emotional in front of the whole class. No doubt that everyone knew we'd broken up by now. They'd be watching us to see how we'd react seeing as we were lab partners in Biology.
I watched her take her seat and drop her things on the floor.
"Carla..." I muttered.
"What do you want?" Carla whispered, not looking at me.
"Are you.... okay?" I asked, hoping I could choke back the tears.
"It doesn't matter. I don't matter. You've made it clear," Carla whispered, taking notes from the board.
"Carla, you just don't understand..." I whispered back.
"I understand plenty," Carla snapped.
Just then, the bell rang. She scooped up her stuff and ran out of the room. I picked up my stuff and headed to lunch.
"Brad! Brad!" I heard a girl yelling from down the hall.
"Scarlet, what is it?" I said as the girl walked up to me.
"What's up with you and Carla?" Scarlet asked.
"We broke up...." I said, walking towards the cafeteria.
"Oh my gosh, why?" Scarlet asked, smirking.
"You know why, Scarlet," I said, shaking my head,
I got my food and ran to an empty table. Scarlet followed me.
"Just because you hit Steph doesn't mean you'll hit her," Scarlet said.
"Scar, I can't take a chance with her," I said, looking at Carla, sitting with her friends, including Stephanie.
"Steph hasn't even told anyone. Not even Carla," Scarlet said.
"I don't care. Carla deserves better," I said, shaking my head.
Carla saw me watching her. Stephanie shook her head and got up. Stephanie walked over to me.
"Why, Brad?" Stephanie asked, sitting down.
"You know just as well as Scar does. I'm not going to hit a girl again, Steph. I'm so sorry, and you know that. I can't take chances with Carla though. She's too important," I said, watching Carla's friend shake her head at me.
"She's really upset. I know you haven't stopped anything, Brad. She knows too. She just wants to keep you. Tell her about everything. Give her a chance at the real you. Give her what I got. I miss that," Stephanie said.
"I get it, Steph," I said, frowning.
"You know, all she has talked about this week was how she wished you would stop being afraid and have sex with her. She cares about you, Brad. She loves you with all she has in her," Stephanie said.
"Steph, stop. Please. You think I'm not aware that we should be together?" I snapped.
"You're making the biggest mistake, you know," Stephanie said to me, looking at Carla.
"I know, Steph. I want her to move on though. Find someone who will be right for her. Not everything she hates," I said sadly.
"You are right for her," Stephanie said, standing up and walking back to Carla.
"Scarlet," I muttered.
"Brad, you know you're being stupid about it. You love her, and you're just going to throw her away like that?" Scarlet asked me.
"I'm leaving school. I need to go somewhere," I said, standing up and running out of the cafeteria.
I strode out the front door of the school. I climbed into my car and started it up. I knew exactly where I was headed. The one place I knew I could be me. Where I could forget all of this. I made the engine rev and I zoomed off.