Status: Work in progress

What Did We Do to Deserve This?

001

If it wasn't for the last spoon full of yogurt Nick had shoved into his mouth he would have probably laughed out loud, but wisely he decided against it and merely allowed a suppressed chuckle to escape him.

"I'm serious, Nicky. It's state funded, the director approved it and you're all getting paid time off."

With his spoon frozen half way between the yogurt pot and his open mouth, Nick gazed up at his supervisor in disbelief. If it was anyone but Grissom delivering the news he wouldn't have taken them seriously but he didn't have a reputation for pulling pranks.

"Have you told anyone else about it?" were the only word that his brain could formulate.

"I was discussing it with Ecklie earlier, but you're the first one to find out on nights."

"Day shift are going too?" nick snorted, wafting his spoon and depositing it's contents onto the table before him.

Grissom wrinkled his nose at the mess and the now apologetic CSI. "Yeah, that's the purpose of the task, to get the two shifts to bond."

"How did you and Ecklie manage to worm out of it? If anyone needs to form a better relationship surely it should be you two."

Grissom shot Nick a smug smile. "The director knows that I could murder Ecklie and there be a possibility I would get away with it and that spending any more time than necessary with him would only provoke me, and that would compromise the reputation of the lab."

Nick grinned at his otherwise emotionally reserved friend's honesty. "And Ecklie just kissed ass again?"

"Basically, yeah. I've got to go find us some cases now, when the rest of Graveyard manage to stumble in please inform the of the arrangements." Grissom smiles sweetly and left the door.

Nick let out a sigh and slumped back in his chair, only to be startled a few seconds later by Grissom reappearing back at the door. "Oh and Nicky?" he waved his hand at the table. "Clean that up." He disappeared just as silently as he arrived, and quickly glided down the corridor toward his office.

Nick was on his way to the sink to collect paper towels when he heard the very distinct sound of Sara's snort-laugh echoing down the halls and in a matter of seconds the remainder of the team flooded into the room.

"Hey nick" They greeted, taking a second to gaze at the mess on the table.

"Hey guys. Had an accident." Nick blushed.

"Well we all know how hard it is to maneuver cutlery." Sara chirped and poked out her tongue.

"Very funny. Listen guys, you're gonna love this. The director has organized a special bonding session for Graveyard and Days to mingle next weekend."

The team pulled a face of unified horror before smirking at the suggestion.

"I'm afraid, ladies, that you'll have to miss out this time around, it's an all guys thing."

"Such a shame" Catherine dryly quipped before bumping knuckles with Sara. "I was looking forward to it, too."

"Yeah, laugh it up." Nick groaned. "Rick, brace yourself, man. The guys from both shifts, including Greggo and Hodges, have to spend next weekend camping."

The team stood silently, mouths slightly ajar.

"I know, that's exactly what I did."

Warrick snorted and shook his head. "You're kidding, right?"

"Nu-huh, Grissom came and told me himself. If you guys were on time you would have heard it first hand. Where did you guys get off to anyway, was there a slumber party I wasn't invited to?"

"Save that for the weekend, Nicky." Catherine jabbed as she pulled a chair out at the dairy covered table. "We were all out in the parking lot mocking Hodges. He pulled a double shift and he's extra grumpy."

"Yeah and to think someone has to share a tent with that guy." Warrick mumbled before the realization hit both him and Nick at the same time. "Dude, we have to double up, there's no way I'm bunking with the guys from days."

"Deal." Nick smiled before advancing on the table. "You never know, it might be fun."

The group considered the theory for a few seconds before simultaneously gasping "Yeah, right."

"Just face it, Man." Nick grinned."We're screwed."