Status: Work in progress

What Did We Do to Deserve This?

002

As the second Denali climbed the steady incline into the woods the realization finally sunk into the CSIs inside. Nick, Warrick and Greg surveyed the trees in discontent and shot each other worried looks before they pulled to a stop along side the other car.

"Well, that's me. I'll see y'all on Monday" Nick smiled and gestured for the other two to get out of the car.

Warrick sighed for approximately the 3,000th time since they had left the lab (Nick had counted) and Greg bounced around in the back seat like a hyperactive child. He was far too prepared for the trip, wearing hiking boots, waterproof trousers, a thick coat and a wooly hat. Despite being way too warm on the way there he had refused to take them off, claiming he was gathering body heat for the night.

"How can you possibly be so optimistic?" Warrick huffed before getting out of the truck.

Greg quickly followed, hot on his heels with a beaming smile from ear to ear. "I'm not completely miserable" he declared. "Plus I've had about thirty seven cups of coffee, they're bound to have some contribution."

Warrick simply mused "no kidding" and set off walking to where the others had congregated. As expected the small group was already arguing over a small envelope currently being held by a guy that looked to be the oldest member of the day shift.

"I am the highest ranking here so I think it should be my job to open it, and that's how we roll on days."

Nick, being the CSI with the lowest Ecklie tolerance level stepped up the the challenge. "Nick Stokes, level three CSI and deliverer of ass whoopings. Can I see that for just a second?"

The days guy reluctantly stuck out the envelope which was received by a very smug and accomplished Nick with a quick 'thanks'. As Nick opened the letter Warrick started to observe the guys from days. The one claiming to have seniority over the situation he recognized as Ecklie's right hand man, the one that did the snooping. The CSI to his left was taller, younger and generally looked a better person. He had no tell-tale Ecklie team traits like a smug facial expression, nor was he on his knees ready to blow his way into the biggest tent.

Nick cleared his throat before starting to read the letter. "To our beloved CSIs." was as far as he got before the onslaught of verbal abuse directed at the supervisors began. "This event and these tasks were carefully put together by us, Grissom and Ecklie, to bring both shifts together. We like to think that if ever the collaboration was needed you guys could work competently with each other. Also, we were sort of forced into this by the director."

Nick read ahead a little and groaned, receiving a collection of 'what's from the CSIs what were now gathered around him. "Your first task is to work together to put up the two man tents that we have provided you with. You will find these located in the trunks of your vehicles. Once you find the next envelope, you may move on to the next task."

The situation suddenly became a lot more awkward as the group started to weigh up their competition and possible bunk buddies.

Greg was the one to break the tension as he announced under his breath "I feel like a boy scout".

It was obvious with the electricity and eye contact amongst the men that they were thinking the same thing, but Nick was the only one to say "No offense, man, but you look like one." before walking back over to the truck. Greg let out a stifled sigh and followed.

The CSIs returned to the vehicles that they arrived in and took out the contents. Tents, sleeping bags, torches, the works. They walked single file as the trees got thicker and thicker and the droan of traffic got quieter. Naturally, Greg was leading the way. Despite his miserable co-workers he had managed to keep the spring in his step and the look of wonder on his face. Nick wondered how, at twenty four years of age, he still managed to be amazed by simple things. It must be the caffeine.

When Greg came to what he thought was a suitable place, he turned to the others, grinning, and dropped his stuff on the ground.

And so it began.

The exchange of casual insults, fights with tent poles, throwing obstructions back into the woods, a few second interval that the CSIs wisely used to tell Greg to stop telling his "how many CSIs does it take to put up a tent" joke. Greg gave up five minutes in and has since been sat on the ground next to Hodges, watching and mocking the others wrestle with the equipment.

"Sanders, I have a proposition." Hodges whispered

Childish excitement rose inside of Greg and he leaned over and smiled.

"You wanna share a tent with me?"

Greg pulled a face that was an unusual combination of frown and grin.

"Think about it, Nick and Warrick are obviously gonna share, so are Cooper and Johnston, it's probably already set in stone, we just don't know it yet."

"I thought I was just an irritation to you, David."

"You are, and please call me Hodges."

"Well If figured we should be on first name terms if we're gonna be sleeping together tonight."

Hodges winced at Greg's mischievous grin. Already was he being tormented and they hadn't even finished setting up.

"Woah, woah, here we go" Warrick cried from inside the first successfully erect tent before emerging with another envelope. The others crowded around him. "Congratulations on setting up the tents." The group of men turned in unison to look at the piles of camping equipment still layed flat.

"Close enough." Hodges shrugged.

"This little expedition is to bond with people that you don't see on a regular basis at work, that is why we have set this next challenge. Do you think it was a coincidence that we chose two from Graveyard, two from days and two from the labs? Not at all. Tonight you each have to pair with someone on a different shift, and that is who you will share your tent with."