But You're Onto Me, and All Over Me

Something Always Brings Me Back To You [Part 1]

I peered through the shop window, which was almost completely covered with ad posters for Nosebleed Nougat and hats that make your whole head transparent. It was impossible to see past the throng of children and teens that filled the store. Shrieks of laughter and surprise emanated through the entrance to the store. I saw a clutter of pre-teen girls pointing and giggling at a few of the boys on the opposite side of the crowded joke shop. The guys gave notice to the girls and sent flirtatious smiles their way.

A forgotten memory came back to me, the razor sharp picture falling into the front of my mind- I was in my sixth year and I had entered the joke shop in Hogsmeade for what seemed like the billionth time, though the excitement and thrill came back to me every time. I was one of the only Ravenclaws that didn’t head directly to the book shop or the Three Broomsticks on every Hogsmeade trip.

I had stumbled into the store once again and immediately walked to a barrel of new jokes and pranks. While examining a purple box of Fizzing Whizbees, I felt a set of eyes burrowing into the back of my head. I turned and saw a handsome, red-headed boy staring at me. He gave me a small smile and wink and turned back to his friends. They pointed at me and whispered something and I could feel my face redden and heat up. While still pondering if I should buy the box of pranks or not, I felt a hand slide onto my waste. I turned around quickly and found a pair of green eyes looking straight into my hazel ones.

“Can I help you with something?” I asked the red-headed boy as he took a step closer. I could feel my heart about to explode from beating so rapidly and I took a small step back.

“Yea, you can,” he whispered as he leaned down and pushed his lips softly against mine. I could hear my heart pounding in my ears as he slid his hands around my waist. I pushed my lips more against his and opened my mouth slightly. As he slipped his tongue in my mouth, I didn’t notice myself dropping the box of Fizzing Whizbees.

I heard shrieks coming from other girls in the store as we pulled apart. We looked around, and to my horror, I saw the contents of the box zooming around the room. The owner of the shop was coming at us, yelling at me for dropping the box. The red-headed boy threw some Sickles on the floor as he pulled my hand and rushed me out of the store. We ran all the way to the Three Broomsticks and slipped inside, unnoticed. Once inside the crowded pub, we burst out laughing, earning annoyed looks from several other students.

“That was incredible!” he said to me, a twinkle in his eyes. I stood grinning as Rosmerta came and asked us if we would like a booth. He nodded and she led us to a small booth in the corner of the pub, next to the window. We slid down onto the worn, brown wooden seats.

“So do you have a name?” he asked me, his eyes still twinkling with excitement. I stared a moment, looking into his eyes, until I realized that he had just asked me a question.

“Oh, um, yea. Aly,” I managed to stutter out. I could feel my face redden even more (if possible) at my lack of communication skills. Ravenclaws were known for their smarts, not social life. Though boys noticed me, I never really ever worked up the nerve to talk to them. I guess my lack of bravery is why I’m not a Gryffindor.

“Well Aly, I’m George. George Weasley to be exact.”

“Well George Weasley, do you go around snogging random girls for sport or were you just bored?” I asked with a note of sarcasm in my voice.

“I could hardly call what we did snogging, though if that’s what you want-”

He was cut off by Rosmerta returning with the menus, “there will be no snogging in my pub, Weasley. If that’s what you want, then you can go next door to Madame Puddifoots.”

She set the menus down on the table and said that she would be back in five minutes to take our orders. I listened to her high heels click-clack on the hard wooden floor. It was better than listening to the awkward silence that had now filled our booth. The silence was deafening in my ears and a voice in the back of my head told me to say something.

“So I’ve seen you around before. You’re in my Transfiguration class, right?” I asked him, hoping I didn’t sound like a total nerd, trying to discuss classes with him.

“Actually I’m not in your Transfiguration class. That’s my brother Fred,” after seeing the look of confusion on my face, he continued. “We’re twins. Don’t worry; people get us mixed up all the time. Even Mum can’t tell us apart,” he said, laughing at this.

“Oh. So that isn’t you in my Potions and History of Magic class either?”

“I’m in those classes with you. I’ve watched you in there before. You’re pretty good at Potions, you know,” he said. His face turned a bright red and he continued on, “I meant that I’ve watched you in the same way that I’ve watched every one else. Not in a creepy stalking way or anything.”

I couldn’t hold back a laugh at this and watched as his face returned to its normal color.

- I was suddenly brought back to the present time as a boy pushed passed me, not bothering to mutter an apology to me. I looked back into the joke shop in Diagon Alley and saw that while I was off day-dreaming about my old pastimes with George Weasley, one of the boys had made his move on one of the giggling girls. I watched as they held hands and examined a wand that every time you shook it, it turned into another object. He held his hand over hers and they shook it together (chicken, boot, banana, quill). When it turned into a rose, he handed it to the girl and gave her a small peck on the lips.

“Oi! You! That’s a piece of merchandise! Pay for it or set it back down!” hollered a handsome, red-headed man to the young couple. The girl giggled and the boy handed a few Sickles to the shop owner. The girl held onto the rose as they walked out of the crowded shop, letting another group of teens wander inside. I watched as they headed off down the busy street, whispering sweet things to each other. The memories I had of doing that with George brought tears to my eyes. I pushed away the thoughts of laying in his arms, talking and laughing. The thoughts of swimming in the lake and tickling the Giant Squids tentacles.

I wiped away one of the warm tears that had stung against my eyes and made its way down my cheek. The cold winter air brushed past the wet streak the tear had left on my cheek and I wiped that away too. As more people pushed past me to get to other stores, I turned back to the shop window and found a pair of green eyes staring right back into my hazel ones.