Boys Will Be Boys Baby

The Story...

“A P?! I got a P?!” I yelled as I entered the Great Hall for lunch. This caused several annoyed looks from my professors and a few curious glances from my fellow classmates. But I could really care less if I was disturbing someone’s lunch.

How could I, the poster girl for Ravenclaw, get a ‘Poor’ on an exam?! And in Charms none the less! It is ridiculous! Though I will admit that studying has been far from my mind these past few weeks. But the fact that that Gryffindor stud muffin, Remus Lupin, is in several of my classes this year (including Charms) is really no excuse to not concentrate on my work. Even though he is rather distracting with those gorgeous eyes and that perfect blonde hair. And his smile just makes my heart melt.

Most of the shallow, immature girls in Hogwarts would gladly hike their skirts up in a second for Sirius Black and James Potter, but I on the other hand prefer a man with more intellect than raging hormones pumping through his body. Don’t get me wrong, Remus is just as handsome as Potter or Black but in a more subtle and intellectual way. He knows how to care for a girl rather than just feel her up and then dump her for the next thing with a pulse and boobs.

As I sat down at the long, wooden table with the Ravenclaw flag fluttering over top, I carefully chanced a glance at Remus and his three friends. They were all laughing at some hilarious joke that Potter had just told. I noticed that while he laughed loudly, he would glance down at Lily Evans and run his hand through his hair, though she did not notice. I watched him ruffle his jet black hair once again as obvious disappointment spread across his face. Black leaned in and whispered something to him and he started roaring with laughter again. Though this time, the four of them looked straight at me.

My face felt as if it was on fire and I quickly looked away from the Gryffindor boys. Cursing myself for letting my eyes linger so long, I realized that it was too late to save myself from the embarrassment that was about to come.

“Hey Watts, I saw you staring at us,” Black growled as he approached me. My face heated up even more (if that is even possible) and I looked up into his grey eyes. He was indeed very handsome with his dark, shaggy hair falling in front of his eyes and that flirtatious smile that he threw at every girl he saw (except for me of course). It’s not like he was responsible for how his looks turned out though. It’s all really just genetics. And his horrid and mocking personality made me wonder how any girl could ever have a crush on such a prat.

“Yes, well it’s hard to tune out your pompous cackling, Black,” I snarled at him with a glare, hoping that it would fend him off. Though I knew it wouldn’t.

“Aww, is the little Ravenclaw jealous of Sirius because she has no friends and he does?” He laughed at me as I just shook my head and tried to grab my failing Charms exam off of the table top. But Black got to it first.

He laughed loudly and said even louder, “Did little miss Smarty-Pants actually fail something? And in Charms too. Pathetic, Watts. You’re pathetic. Sure the Sorting Hat didn’t put you in Hufflepuff instead? You’re obviously not smart enough to be in-”

Black was cut off by Remus grabbing my paper from him and handing it back to me. I could feel myself blushing profusely as I took my paper and shoved it into my bag.

“Padfoot, Prongs says you need to come out and practice with the team instead of flirting with the enemy,” Remus said, all nonchalant, as if he didn’t just see his friend being a total jerk.

“Pfft, what?! I was not flirting with this pathetic loser!” Black replied, obviously outraged at the suggestion that he had been flirting with me.

“I’m just repeating what James said.” Sirius stormed out the Great Hall, perhaps to go yell at his friend for suggesting such lunacy.

“Hey, you alright?” Remus asked me. I was so surprised that he had actually spoken to me. I looked up, my eyes falling in line with his and I saw genuine concern in them.

“Oh, erm, yea,” I managed to stutter out, cursing myself for the second time today.

“Good. I saw that you failed your Charms exam. If you want, I could help you study for it. Get you back on track, you know?” he asked me, shoving his hands into his pockets. He shook his hair out of his eyes and I couldn’t help but wonder why such a perfect guy would ever want to talk to me.

I’m far from perfect really. My blonde hair has some dark brown streaks running through it (thanks a ton genetics) and it sticks out a weird angles sometimes. My teeth are somewhat crooked and my face is just littered with freckles. Also, I’m not exactly the skinniest girl in school. I’m not fat but I do have some extra weight on me. But what can I say? When I’m stressed and studying I eat.

I realized that for these past few seconds I had just been looking straight into his eyes, probably making him somewhat uncomfortable. I blushed as I said “Um, sure. I have a free bell next. Do you want to go to the library to study?”

“Actually, I was thinking that maybe we could go outside to study. It’s a gorgeous day outside, right?” he asked me hopefully. I nodded excitedly and then stopped, realizing how stupid I probably looked with my head bobbing up and down like that. I gave him a small smile as I followed him out of the Great Hall.

It was hot outside. There was a group of bikini-clad students splashing around at the edge of the lake. I noticed that Black and Potter had abandoned their Quidditch practice (and their clothes) to go splash around in the lake with the other frivolous and childish students. The girls blushed whenever they glanced down at Sirius’ and Potter’s boxer shorts. It would be so easy to mock them but I kept it to myself, knowing that Sirius and James were Remus’ friends; and I did not want Remus to hate me for mocking his friends.

We settled down on the other side of the lake. I watched as Remus pulled off his shoes off, roll his pants up and dip his feet in the water. I followed his lead and slipped my shoes off and set my feet in the cool, rippling water.

"So, um, ready to study?" I asked, watching the ripples in the lake with intensity. I knew that if I looked at Remus, I would spaz out or something. Something that would embarrass me, that is.

"Um…maybe we could just talk for a bit instead," he replied quietly. I felt his fingertips brush my own and I snapped my head towards him without thinking. I blushed furiously as I saw his own cheeks blush crimson.

"Maybe we should study another time," I said quickly while gathering up my books. Now I was just looking for an escape route so that I couldn't embarrass myself any further. I slipped on my shoes as Remus grabbed my arm.

"Don't go, Andrea! We could study if you like!" He offered me his books as he tried to pull me back but I was trying to pull away. I could feel myself blushing deeper with his hand on my arm. I shook my head 'no' and tried to pull away.

"I don't think-" but I was cut off by Remus' lips colliding with my own in a moment of bliss. I let him pull me in and place hand on my cheek, caressing it gently with his thumb.

When he pulled apart, my mouth was left open, somewhat gaping at what had just happened. Remus Lupin just kissed me! I thought to myself excitedly. I felt a smile form on my face and I blushed for what seemed like the billionth time that day.

"So, I mean, if you still want to go…" Remus said, avoiding eye contact with me. He was fumbling with his hands and his cheeks were flushed.

I giggled, grabbed his shirt and pulled him into another kiss.

"Nah, I think I'll stay," I replied as I sat back down next to the lake and gave him a smile.

Today was a pretty good day after all