Status: I took this story over from a RainingAmi. Hope you like it. Active ;)

29 Ways to Get Rid of Your Roommate

How it ALL Began

Today started out like any other day: I got up, ate the best cereal in world which just so happens to be Cheerios, and got dressed for the day. How the day would end, however, is totally out of the ordinary.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself here though; let me introduce myself. My name is Arley Rebecca Sinclair. I used to live with my parents, but now I'm in college. I have my own apartment where I pay half the rent and the Rents pay the other half. I love my apartment; it's like my sanctuary. Scratch that, it is my sanctuary. I never expected to have to share my get away, my paradise, with someone else. Well, my parents thought otherwise. My mom said something about it being al part of the college experience. What experience am I missing out on?! I party, cram for exams, I eat a lot of junk food; I'm pretty sure this is one experience I could live without. However, once again, my parents thought otherwise.

Now it's not like I've never shared a living space before. I have a twin sister. Her name is Zoey Christina Sinclair. My parents thought it would be funny to name us with an A and a Z so they could say A to Z. Ha ha not. Anyways, Zoe is my twin. We are really close, as close as two sisters can be. Sharing a room with her is different than sharing my paradise with a stranger. We're twins; we're practically the same person in two bodies. We even have twin telepathy; that's how close we are.

This is gonna be totally different. My 'parents', as I now like to refer to them, are making me share an apartment with a complete stranger. Even sharing a room got to be too much to handle, and that was my twin. When we were fourteen we decided that having two of us around is just too confusing, one of us was always getting left out by our friends. So she decided to go to boarding school while I stayed at home. Anyways, so back to to how this roommate crap began.

It all started about three weeks ago, or at least I think so. Anyways, just for the sake of things, let’s say it was three weeks ago. I had just finished getting out of my Honda Civic when our family dog came running up to me. I had decided that I wanted to visit home. Plus mom said she wanted to talk to me about something. Now Dusty, the dog, was no ordinary dog. Dusty always acted more like a cat than any other Doberman I’ve ever known in all my 18 years of living. His cat-like attitude included the cat-ish swagger with an “I own this house not you” attitude to it.

“Hey Dusty!” I exclaimed, my voice going into that annoying baby voice that everyone using when talking to babies and animals. It’s kinda just automatic. I bent down and scratched behind his ears while shaking his head. I kissed his nose and he licked my face. I giggled and closed the car door. “Where’s mom?” I asked. Now you’re probably thinking, Wow you’re dense if you think this animal’s going to respond to you. Oh but you’re sadly mistaken my friend because as soon as I said that Dusty lead me to the office, a remodeled garage, where my mom was. Ha, in your face. Anyways, so I greeted my mother with a hello and a kiss to the cheek.

“Hey honey. So as you know I asked you to visit because there’s something I want to talk to you about.” I nodded my head and sat down in the chair across from her. She then said “I think it’s time you got a roommate.” I started laughing.

“Good one mom.” I said as tears rolled down my face from laughing so hard. I looked at my mom only to see utter seriousness. I quickly calmed down and stared at her in disbelief. “What, why?” I asked. “No, I won’t do it. I’m not a kid anymore Mom. You can’t make me do this.” I said.

“Look sweetie, it’s all a part of the college experience!” She said in the same elevated tone that I hadn’t even realized I had.

“Who gives a shit? I like living alone!” I all but screamed back. She couldn’t do this, she just couldn’t. My whole life she treated me like a child. Now that I’m grown up, I refuse to have her treat me this way anymore. I turned around and headed out the door.

“And what happens when you find someone? Huh, what are you gonna do then?” She yelled, following me. I turned around and faced her once we got to the living room.

“Then I will have already had my alone time!” I yelled. By that time, my father and brother had come to join the “conversation”.

“Fine. Either you get a roommate or you start paying your rent alone.” My mother said with finality in her voice. I stared at her once again in disbelief.

My brother then jumped in, “Why doesn’t she get a roommate and if they leave, you pay her rent. Completely, not just half, since she was right and you were wrong. My father nodded his head in agreement.

“Fine,” my mother said “but only if I get to pick the roommate.” “Fine.” I said. And with that it was done. I had a roommate and a plan. A plan to get rid of this person and get my sanctuary back.