A Life Time of Ice Time

Do I Know You?

"How long does it take to grab a water bottle? I am dyeing of thirst here!" An angry costumer screamed at me as I leaned over Matt, another employee at the Wrigley field concession stand and grabbed a water bottle.

"Sorry about that. That will be $2.49." I rang up the receipt on the cash register.

She snorted. "There is no way that I am paying for this. I was waiting almost ten minutes!" I couldn't do anything but watch as she stormed into the crowd.

"Well this is just great." I mumbled to myself before I greeted the next costumer.

"Don't worry about it." Matt told me as he walked around to pour cheese in a Cubs hat for someone's nachos. "It happens all the time."

"I'm sure" I grumbled and he laughed at my sarcasm. It was my first day working there and that was not the first or the last costumer that I was going to lose that day.

I sighed and leaned back against the refrigerator as Matt wiped off the counter when we were finally finished. It had been a long day. "You think that less people would start coming since they keep losing."

He shrugged. "Without them, we'd be out of a job."

I walked the back room and grabbed my jacket and keys. "I am pretty sure that I won't be working here much longer anyway, judging by the way that today went."

"Don't worry about it." He insisted as he threw the rag over his shoulder. "I'll put in a good word for you with the boss." He winked at me. Our boss happened to be his uncle.

"Thanks." I smiled as I waved to him. "See you later Matt." I pulled my hood further over my head as I kept my eyes focused on my phone. The brisk Chicago air sent a chill up my spine as I started to make my way to my car. I kept my head down until I suddenly felt my body run into someone else's and I gasped in shock as they spilled the beer that they had in their hand all over me.

"I'm so sorry." His brown eyes looked at me apologetically while he stood there helplessly. He grabbed several napkins that had been wrapped around his cup and handed them to me. "Is there something that I can sign to make it up to you?" He asked as I started to pat myself with the napkins.

I laughed, surprised. "I don't think that a restraining order is necessary. It was just an accident. No harm, no foul."

I started to walk away but he continued to talk. "That's not what I meant." He laughed. "I mean, would you like an autograph or something?"

I looked back at him in confusion. He was very good looking, but an autograph? Someone was full of themselves. "Nah, I'm good." I said slowly. A blonde man that looked about the same age as him burst out laughing as I noticed him for the first time. "Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?" I asked.

He shot an amused smile at the brown haired guy who had spilled all over me. "I don't know. But I'm pretty sure that we've never met."

"Really?" I patted my chin. "Are you sure? Because you look very familiar." I scanned my mind, searching for where I knew him from.

He stifled back a laugh. "I am one hundred percent sure that we have never, ever met before." The other guy rolled his eyes at him.

"Are you sure that there is nothing that we could do?" The brown haired guy asked me again. "Maybe take you to dinner or something?"

Ah, now I see where this was going. "Sorry, but I usually like to know someone for about more then five seconds before I go on a date with them." I turned around to see his blushing face. "Now I know where I know you from!" I snapped my fingers at the blonde guy. "You threw the first pitch at the game today!"

He shook his head, trying to contain a smile. "Nope. Sorry, that wasn't me."

"Are you sure?" I stepped closer so that I could see his face better as he nodded.

"Give it a rest Kaner." The brown haired guy pulled on his arm.

Kaner? What a strange name. "Well it was fun meeting you guys." I turned and started walking towards my car. "But I have to go now."

"Will we ever see you again?" The brown haired guy asked me hesitantly.

I shrugged. "I have no idea why you would want to, but I work here. Buy tickets to another game and we'll see." I smirked to myself as I walked to my car. That was so weird.

I felt my phone vibrate as I slid into the front seat of my car, watching as the guys walked away. "Hello?"

"Are you almost done?" Amanda's snotty voice asked me from the other end of the line. She was my step-sister and her mother happened to be very rich. So until Wrigley concessions could give me a promotion big enough to pay for my own apartment and my college education, I was stuck with her.

"Yep, I'm on my way." I waved to Matt as he walked out of the building while I pulled out of the parking lot. He did the guy head nod thing and I stuck my tongue out at him to let him know that I did not appreciate it. "Why, what's up?"

"'What's up?'" She scoffed. "God Taylor, you live in Chicago but you are not gangster." I rolled my eyes. "Just wondering because I'm starving."

"Here's an idea," I said as I turned the wheel into traffic. "Why don't you make yourself something to eat?"

"Are you kidding?" She said like it was the dumbest thing that she has ever heard. "That's your job." My job. That job did not pay me enough.

"I'll be home in a minute." I said as I turned down our street before hanging up on her. We lived in a small condo in Wrigleyville. Like I said, her Mom was rich.

I slowly opened the front door key and threw my purse on the kitchen table before walking over to the stove. "Taylor?" Amanda called.

"Yeah, I'm making spaghetti." I yelled back. It never made sense to me why she didn't like to talk to people in the same room as her. When I was done making it, I walked to go eat it in the living room in front of the TV.

It wasn't long before I fell asleep to the news reporters droning voice. The last thing I heard before falling asleep was, "In sports news, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane enjoyed their day off today with a trip to the Cubs game."
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is another story that I am working on, on Quizilla. Sorry if this first chapter is a little short, but I am just trying to set the scene. Thanks for reading and for those of you who read Melting on Ice, I hope that you guys enjoy it just as much! Thanks for reading! GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!