A Life Time of Ice Time

Double Date Disaster

“So let me get this straight,” Matt said as I stretched in my heels to adjust his tie. “You are pretending to date me, even though you are really dating Patrick Kane when your actually in love with Jonathan Toews?”
I rolled my eyes as I stepped back from him and walked over to the mirror. “Stop saying that. I am not in love with Jonathan Toews.”

Right.” Matt said sarcastically as he rolled his eyes. “You're so not in love with him that you're making me go on this stupid fake double date just to see who his new girlfriend is.” I froze in the mirror as I was in the process of putting in earrings, not really sure how to respond to that. “What does Patrick think about this?” I unfroze and as the earrings dropped from my grasp, I realized they might be a little too heavy judging how low my earlobes now stretched.

“He doesn't know.” I ignored Matt as he laughed under his breath. “He's at a business dinner tonight, meeting with some of the GMs or something like that.”

“Really nice,” Matt said as I rushed around the room, looking for my purse. He quickly ran his fingers through his hair, messing up the way it had been neatly geld back. “Not only do you lie to him, but you don't even listen when he talks.”

“Shut up okay?” I said as I opened the door and waited for him to exit. “I didn't lie.” Matt looked at me skeptically as I followed him down to the end of the hall. He rolled his eyes as he went to push the elevator button. “What?” I asked as he continued to stare at me. “If he would've asked me if I was in a fake relationship with you, I would have came right out and told him.”

“Listen to yourself.” He followed me into the elevator and then held the door open for some other people who were about to miss it. A panting man dressed in a business suit waved to thank him and Matt acknowledged him with a nod. “Do you realize how ridiculous you sound right now?”

“Oh whatever,” I rolled my eyes as the elevator landed and we made our way through the lobby to his car. I shivered and pulled my jacket tighter around me when our bodies were met with the brisk Chicago air.“We can have a break up tonight and this will all be over with.”

“Good because I cannot handle being in a relationship with someone who I can't trust.” I slapped him lightly on the arm before getting in his car. He smirked over at me as he placed the keys in the ignition. I shivered and ran my hands up and down my arms to try to warm up as the heating in his car kicked in. “Okay, we should plan this out.”

“Go ahead and have fun with that.” I sighed as I leaned back against his leather car seat, the Chicago city lights reflecting off of my face as he started to drive.

“Okay, how about I caught you cheating on me with my twin brother who lives in France because he thought that you were his wife, because you guys look sort of similar. But he doesn't know that she was actually killed by our evil cousin.” I narrowed my eyes and shot Matt an annoyed look as he stopped at a red light.

“Are you kidding me?” He shrugged his shoulders before starting to drive again. “Our life isn't some cheesy Spanish soap opera.” He laughed quietly and shook his head at the comparison. “Besides, who says you wouldn't cheat on me? It's always the guy.”

“Oh, it's pretty apparent who the more reliable one in this relationship is, considering the ordeal that we are in.” He laughed at the facial expression I gave him before pulling into the restaurant parking lot.

“Hold my hand.” He flinched back when I quickly wrapped his hand around mine. My heels echoed loudly as we made our way through the parking lot.“Come on,” I pouted when he made a face down at me. “We have to be convincing.”

“Fine,” he sighed, loosely grabbing onto my hand. “But if we're doing this for real, I'm going all out.” I glanced uneasily up at him, afraid of what that meant. He smirked down at me as he tightened his grip around my hand.

“Hi, we're supposed to be meeting someone here,” I told the hostess and shot Matt an annoyed look as he basically choked me when he wrapped his arm around my neck.

“Okay.” She said in a monotone as she glanced down at the reservation list. “The name?”

“Toews.” Matt and I answered in unison as his eyes scanned the restaurant. It was very fancy. Much fancier then I was expecting. There was a live band playing in the background that could hardly be heard over the clanking of plates. Waiters and waitresses dressed in tuxedos resembled penguins as they scurried around to make sure that the rich snobs that ate here's wine was filled to the brim of the glass.

“Oh look who it is,” Matt leaned down and mumbled in my ear.

I squinted my eyes and let them follow in the direction of Matt's. I noticed a table full of men all dress very formally in suits. They seemed to be just arriving, since they were all standing and shaking hands. They were smiling and some of them looked vaguely familiar as the wrinkles crinkled around their eyes. I felt my face go pale as a familiar laughed reached my ears. “Shoot.” I mumbled to myself as I noticed Patrick when they sat down. “Only me.”

“Well this will be interesting.” I turned my face into Matt's chest as the hostess led us to our table. I made sure that my back was facing the direction of Patrick's table when we sat down. “Just, don't make a scene and I doubt that he will notice you,” Matt suggested quickly, assessing my uncomfortableness.

“Matt,” I asked him skeptically. “Do you know me at all? It's pretty much impossible for me to not make a scene.” I smiled when he laughed quietly.

“Can I start you off with anything to drink?” The waitress smiled plastically down at us as she folded her hands in front of her formally. “Pinto grigio? That's the specialty for tonight.” She smiled down at me again and it was actually starting to creep me out.

“Ah no thanks.” Her smile faltered slightly as I continued. “I'll just have a coke please.”

“A coke?” She half laughed as she said this and shook her head as I nodded. “Of course mame and for the gentleman?”

“Coke sounds good.” Matt shrugged as his eyes scanned the restaurant once again. The waitress sighed, apparently giving up on us as she turned into the busy crowd.

“Who are you texting?” I asked as I craned my neck over Matt's shoulder to see his phone screen. He shrugged away from me. “Who is it?” I asked again as he adjusted himself in his chair again.

“My mom.” He smirked and I rolled me eyes as I leaned back in my chair. “She's very excited to meet my new girlfriend.”

“You have a really twisted sense of humor.” He laughed when I scowled at him. “What would your poor mother say if she found out it was me?”

He smiled and shook his head. “She would totally freak out.” He smirked down at his phone. “She's been wanting us to date since like, the day I met you.” I looked down at my hands again, not sure how to respond. He laughed airily again which I took as an invitation to glare over at him.

“Hey guys.” Matt stood up to shake Jonathan's hand when he approached us at the table. I tried to ignore the way that my heart was beating inside my head at the sight of him. His hair was slightly spiked and looked good with his classic black suit. His hockey player muscles rippled through the jacket and I had to tear my eyes away from his body to his eyes. “Sorry I was running late.”

“It's no problem,” I said quickly, smiling at his lack of a date. “Where's this lucky girl that we're waiting to meet.” I glanced around him as he shifted awkwardly.

“Oh um.” My face fell as he scratched the back of his neck. “She's coming, just running even later is all.” He laughed nervously and sat down before taking a long sip of the water glass that had been pre-placed on the table. “So, how are you guys doing?” I hated how he was awkwardly trying to make small talk. Matt though, didn't seem to notice.

“Fantastic.” I hoped my smile looked like an actual smile more then a grimace as Matt grabbed my hand and kissed it lightly. “Everything is absolutely fantastic.” He let out a small groan when I stomped hard on his foot for squeezing my leg under the table.

“That's good.” He smiled and glanced around to avoid my eyes. The paused for a second behind me and I really really hoped that he wasn't looking over at Patrick's table. “Hey look.” A small smile formed on his lips as he craned his neck around me to see. “I didn't know that Kaner was going to be here.”

“Patrick?” I asked innocently, not turning around. “What a weird coincidence that it is!”

“So weird,” Matt smiled down at my glare mockingly.

“Let's go say hi.” Jonathan said as he stood up. I looked over at Matt in panic and he just shrugged, not sure what to tell me.

“No!” I called before I could register what I was saying. “I mean,” I smiled weakly at Jonathan's look of alarm. “He looks pretty busy. Why don't we just talk to him later?”

“Don't be ridiculous.” Jonathan laughed as he turned to go towards the table again. “It's fine. I know all of those guys.” He gestured over to the table of men whom he was getting closer and closer to.

“Wait!” I said again and looked over at Matt for help. “What, um, what if-,” Jonathan narrowed his eyes at my loss for words.

“What if your date comes?” I sighed in relief when Matt saved me. “You wouldn't want her to miss us.” I nodded eagerly in agreement as Jonathan just slowly shook his head.

“Guys, it'll literally be two seconds.” He smiled again, this time a little more frustrated. “I highly doubt that she would-.”

“Jonathan!” I felt my heart drop to my stomach as the familiar voice called his name. I would've normally been happy for anyone to have distracted him away from the current situation. Anyone, except for her. “Hey baby, sorry I was running late.” Matt glanced over at me in concern when I angrily bit my lip down. My hands shook as Jonathan leaned down and kissed Amanda, wrapping his arms around her waist.

“What?” I asked, seriously confused. “I-I thought-.” My eyes quickly flickered between them and I could feel my entire body shaking at my loss for words. “I just don't-.”

“Taylor.” Jonathan interrupted my random stuttering. “Taylor, I-.” I couldn't hear what he was saying as the blood pulsed in my ears. A small smirk grew on Amanda's face as her eyes flickered between Matt and I. My eyes roamed over them one last time before I turned to go. I don't know where, just somewhere away from them. “Taylor!” Jonathan called to me as I made my way to the coat room. I knew people were staring at me and mumbling things about me, but I couldn't hear anyone in my haste. “Taylor, please let me explain.” Jonathan breathed when he caught up to me in the coat room. He slowly closed the door behind him to buffer the yelling that was sure to go on.

“Please do.” I snapped. “But only because I am really really confused right now.” I started to frantically search through the coats, before remembering that mine was still in Matt's possession back at the table.

He smiled slightly and for once I actually wanted to slap the smile off of his face. “Okay so I didn't exactly break up with Amanda.”

“Oh really?” I asked sarcastically. “Because I thought you guys were totally over by the way your arms were wrapped around each other.”

The smile fell from his face at my bitter tone of voice. “Taylor, I'm sorry.” I laughed bitterly and tried to exit the room but his arm blocked me easily. “I don't know what you want me to tell you.” His brown eyes looked down at me pleadingly.

“I want you to tell me what the heck is going on!” He avoided my eyes as I angrily ran my fingers through my hair. “Why is Amanda here? Why did you tell me that you two broke up? What is wrong with you?” My voice rose with each question and he just stared down at me in silence. “This is ridiculous!” I exclaimed. “I want some answers now Jonathan Toews.” He flinched back when I poked him in the chest. He closed his eyes and let them slowly open before speaking, as if that would magically make the situation disappear.

“Okay,” he sighed. “You were really upset after the game about the hit and you're brother and everything else. I didn't want to see you like that.” He quickly ran his fingers through his shortly cropped hair. “I just, I didn't know what to tell you.” I looked up at him, still in confusion of what that had to do with anything. “I wanted to cheer you up and that was the only reason I knew how okay?”

I narrowed my eyes as my brain processed exactly what he was trying to tell me.“So let me get this straight.” I pulled down on his tie so that he was eye level to me. He let out a small grunt as my hold nearly choked him. “You thought that you could make me feel better by flat out lying to me?”

“Taylor I was just-.”

“By getting my hopes up and then crushing them again?” He bit down on his lip and stared into my eyes. He opened his mouth to say something, but I filled the silence before he could. “I trusted you.” I dropped his tie and stepped back from him. “I told you everything.” My voice cracked slightly at the end and his eyes softened slightly. “And I was this crazy person thinking that I could count on you, but you're just like everyone else.” I lowered my voice to a whisper as I stepped back from him. “You planned to hurt me all along, just like everyone else.”

“Taylor no.” I shook my head as he tried to reason with me. “Taylor, please listen,” he pleaded and I ripped my hand away when he wrapped his around mine.

“Save it.” I interrupted him and he let me by as I tried to exit. “You know, you and Amanda really are perfect for each other.” I laughed bitterly again and I saw him visibly flinch at my words. “You guys are both freaking insane!” I slammed the coat room door and took a minute to collect myself before looking up at the stares of the people in the restaurant. I took deep breaths as they all went back to their strip steak or escargot, pretending like this was an everyday occurrence. I sighed and made my way to the bathroom, knowing that Jonathan wouldn't be able to follow me into there. I just needed to cool down. My heels echoed loudly on the tile floor that led down to the bathrooms. I needed to clear things out in my head, connect all of the puzzle pieces.

“Taylor?” I froze and ran my tongue over my teeth, my heart pounding in my ears. I really could not catch a break. “Taylor what are you doing here?”

“Patrick.” I turned and smiled at him. “I-I came to surprise you.” Let the lying games begin, I thought. “I'm sorry, I should probably just go home.” I turned around to go but he grabbed onto my arm and pulled me close to him.

“Don't be ridiculous.” He laughed and leaned down to kiss me lightly. “I'm glad you came, I've been missing you.” I smiled as I buried my face into his chest. “The meeting will be over in a few minutes, if you want to wait.” He whispered as he lowered his lips down to my ear.

“Okay,” I mumbled, momentarily forgetting my problems as he ran his hands rhythmically over my back. I sighed as I melted in his arms, something finally feeling almost alright tonight. Almost.

“You look really beautiful,” he whispered into my ear as I kept my body close to his. I wrapped my arms around his neck and leaned up to kiss him. I held his head to mine, as if to keep him there as he lead us down a little further to a secluded hallway. He wrapped his arms tighter around my waist as I ran my fingers through his hair.

“I'm really glad you came,” he mumbled and I smirked against his lips. I stood up on my tipy toes so that we were a level heights before pushing my lips to his once again. We reluctantly pulled away when footsteps echoed down the hall. “Tazer?” Patrick laughed before I even opened my eyes. “This is so weird. Must be the hot spot of Chicago tonight.” Patrick chuckled again as I lowered my feet back to the ground.

“Must be,” Jonathan mumbled, keeping his eyes on me. 'Busted' was the only thing that was running through my mind.

Patrick forced a cough as he assessed the uncomfortable tension between us. “Well, I should probably be getting back.” Patrick pulled me by the hand close to him before he leaned down and kissed me again. “I'll see you in a few Tay.” I nodded and followed him with my eyes as he left me alone to face Jonathan in the hallway.

“What was that?”

I bit my lip and kept my eyes glued to the ground. “Nothing.” I shrugged as I turned away and started to head towards my original destination of the ladies room again.

“Don't even think about it, Taylor.” I froze at his words. “I think that it's your time for a little explanation.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! Sorry it's been a little while. Feedback would be nice considering I got a total of zero comments last chapter :( but anyways, thanks for reading and hope you enjoy! GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!