A Life Time of Ice Time

I'll Never Work in This Town Again

“Matt!” I shrieked and jumped back a little as the pop machine started over flowing. “Matt! A little help here!”

Matt reluctantly turned away from the costumer that he was helping and his mouth fell open when he examined the puddle of 7-up that was forming below me. “Taylor!” He pushed me aside as he attempted to see what was wrong with the machine. “What did you do!?”

“Nothing!” I cried and he shot me a look when I yelled this louder then necessary. “I mean, it was an accident.”

He groaned slightly and stepped back before letting his eyes scan the tiny room. “Go grab that bucket,” he commanded me.

I did as he said and handed it over to him, even though I didn't really see how this was going to help anything. “What are we going to do?”

He shrugged. “Wait for it to run out of soda I guess.” I looked at him in disbelief. “What? Do you have any better ideas?”

I opened my mouth to say something, but the air was replaced with a much deeper voice then mine. “Matthew!” We both snapped out heads in the direction that his Uncle Keith was calling to us. “What is going on here!?”

“I-I.” Matt glanced in panic between me and his Uncle. “I don't know.”

“Ugh.” He sighed in frustration and I opened my mouth again to say something when his Uncle pushed him rather roughly out of the way to get to the machine, but the look in Matt's eyes stopped me. I watched as he pulled a lever under the machine and the soda stopped spurting out of it. “Both of you.” He gestured between Matt and I as he spoke. “To my office. Now.” I looked guiltily down at my soaking wet and sticky attire as I followed Matt out of the concessions box.

“What's going to happen?” I asked him in a hurried whisper.

“I don't know Taylor,” he said bitterly and a wave of guilt flooded me as he avoided my eyes. I kept quiet for the rest of the time as Matt lead us down a long white hallway and through a door that had “Wrigley Employees Only,” written across it. He took a deep breath before he slowly opened the door and let me through first. It revealed his Uncle Keith leaning his elbows on his desk, rubbing his temples slightly. We sat where he gestured us.

“Who did it?”

I chewed on my lip as I stared down at the ground in silence. It seemed to be an eternity before I heard Matt shift beside me. “It's my fault.”

“What?” His Uncle and I both exclaimed at the same time. Matt shot me a look that said, shut up.

“No,” I shook my head as I turned to his Uncle “It was me. I was in a hurry and not paying attention. Matt didn't do anything.”

His uncle pursed his lips as his eyes flickered between the two of us. “One of you is getting fired.”

“Me,” I said quickly and Matt stood up beside me.

“No, me.” His uncle sighed when I stood up and placed my hand on Matt's chest to stop him from walking any closer to his uncle's desk.

“Matt,” I sighed as I looked up at him. “It's my fault. I'll take the blame.”

“Taylor.” He grabbed my wrist as I started to turn around.

“Matt.” I wiggled my hand free. “It's okay.” I took a deep breath as I turned to face his uncle as he sat back in his chair. “I'm sorry sir.” I took off my employee badge and placed it on his desk. “I'll send my uniform with Matt tomorrow.” He nodded in approval and Matt reluctantly followed me out of the stadium.

“Taylor.” Matt grabbed me by the shoulder and spun me around when we reached the parking lot. “I shouldn't have let you do that. You need this job.”

I laughed slightly under my breath and shook my head. “Matt, trust me. It's fine, I'll just figure something else out.” He looked like he was about to say something but we both turned our attention in the direction that a beeping horn was calling to us.

“You Taylor?” A shaggy haired head stuck out the window of a nice looking car as they pulled up to Matt and I.

“Jesus Christ Taylor,” Matt mumbled. “How many freaking hockey players do you know?” I laughed as I walked closer to the open window. “Let me guess, tomorrow Sidney Crosby is just going to happen to want to watch a Cubs game?”

“Who?” I asked and I heard two chuckles from inside the car.

“That's what we like to hear!” A voice I recognized as Patrick Sharp said to me. “Well you probably want to know why we're hear.” I nodded as I leaned on the hood of the car. I saw Matt visibly flinch and I gave him a strange glance when he signaled for me to stand up. “A little birdy told us that you know quite a little bit of info about Jonny's new flame.”

“Does that birdy happen to have blonde curly hair, blue eyes, and a really big ego?” They laughed again and Sharp quickly ran his fingers through his short, dark hair.

“I would say it's more of a strawberry blonde.” I rolled my eyes and smirked down into the car. “Well anyways, would you mind, possibly giving us some dirt?”

“Whose 'Jonny's new flame'?” Matt asked as he walked closer to me so he could join the conversation.

“Amanda,” I said through my teeth and he let out a tiny laugh.

“Amanda is dating Jonathan Toews?” He shook his head. “The world has officially gone mad.”

“I might,” I said, returning to my conversation with Sharp. “I just need one little favor in return.”

He shared a quick glance with Adam Burish, who was in the driver's seat. “Deal.”

* * *

“Taylor!” Patrick's voice called to me as he pounded on the dressing room door. “The game is about to start! You need to come out of there!”

“No!” I cried as I examined myself in the mirror. “No way I am going out there in front of all those people. I look like an idiot!”

“You wanted to do this.” I scowled when I could hear the smile in his voice.

“Yeah, well I changed my mind!” I fingered along the bottom of my skirt, which went much higher then it should go.

“I bet Tazer wants to see you,” he mocked me.

“He doesn't even know that I am doing this.” I crossed my arms over my stomach. My bare, bare stomach. “And I plan to keep it that way.”

“You can't stay in there forever,” he reasoned. I pursed my lips at my reflection.

“Watch me.”

“You realize that I am a hockey player and therefore have the ability to knock down this wall.” I heard as he lightly tapped his body against the door, testing me. “I'll give you until the count of three.” I rolled my eyes. Did he think I was three years old? “One...” There was a light thud on the door and I felt myself tense up. “Two....”

“Okay, okay.” I walked over and slowly unlocked the door. I opened it just enough so he could only see my face as I spoke to him. “But close your eyes.”

He rolled his eyes. “Taylor, I'm going to see you anyway.” He crossed his arms and it looked very awkward since he had all of his gear on.

“Just do it.” He sighed and closed his eyes. I slowly opened the door and hurried to try to scurry past him. He grabbed my wrist just before I escaped his view.

“Hey, look.” A smile played on the corner of his lips as he tried to control himself. “We match.”

“Shut up.” I pushed him as he burst out laughing. “Just shut up, Patrick.” I almost tripped over the stupid skates that they were making us wear when I tried to make the short Ice Crew skirt a little longer.

“Taylor, don't be so embarrassed.” I scowled as he tried to steady me on the skates. “You look hot.”

I pushed him, knocking myself off balance, as he started laughing again. “Shut up, Patrick. This is the most disgraceful that I have ever done in my life. I don't need you making it worse.”

“Sorry,” he managed to get out in between his gasp as he tried to catch his breath from laughing so hard. “You know what the irony of this situation is?” I glared back at him as he grabbed onto my arm before I fell again. “Last week, you acted totally disgusted when Tazer brought this up. And now, here you are-.”

“Okay, okay I get it.” I shook my head as I started to make my way to the ice. I know that in reality, I didn't need a job, but there was no way I was taking anymore money from Sarah. She could take anything she wanted, but she couldn't take my pride. As I looked down at myself, I realized that I didn't really have any left for her to take anyways. “Just hand me my shovel,” I grumbled.

“Happily.” He laughed as he reached over to the wall where I had left it. “See you out on the ice,” he mocked me and winked at me when I stuck my tongue out at him.

“Wait a minute.” I was stopped at the door by a blonde that was wearing an identical outfit. “You need more of this.” I pulled back from her when she started to lower a pencil to my eyelid.

“I'm pretty sure that I have enough.” I started to push past her, but her arm muscles proved to be a lot stronger then they looked when she stopped me.

“Listen,” she sighed as she smiled sweetly down at me. “You're new so I'm trying to help you out. You need a lot more if you want to have any chance of hooking up with him tonight.”

“Who?” I looked up at her in disbelief when I gestured in the direction that Patrick had just walked away from us. “Him?” I snorted when she nodded her head. “Not in a million years.”

“Don't feel embarrassed,” she said quickly as if that's what I would be embarrassed about in the current situation. “All of the new girls go for him.”

“Please.” I side stepped around her and made my way out into the arena where the crowd, team, and my embarrassment was waiting. “Gag me with a spoon.” I slowly stepped out onto the ice, clutching the side of the rink in fear. I glanced around the rink at the team, who were warming up before the game.

“Hey hot stuff.” I blushed furiously as Sharp skated up to me. “I'm still waiting for you to fill you're side of the deal.”

“I hate to break it to you,” I said bitterly. “But that's not gonna happen. I think I'm going to explore my other career options.”

“Good luck with that.” He skated backwards in front of me so it would be easier for him to talk to me. “A job opportunity in Chicago? Not gonna happen.”

“We'll see about that.” He laughed as he skated away from me. I attempted to pull down my skirt again when some guys sitting on the glass whistled at me.

“Keep your eyes on the puck!” I yelled to them as I attempted to skate away. I slipped before I had almost moved only two feet. “Stupid skates,” I mumbled to myself.

“Hey, aren't you Taylor?” The blonde head of Kris Versteeg asked me. He chuckled as he helped me up when I nodded. I shivered as I brushed off my bare back that was now covered in ice shavings. “What an interesting twist this adds to our story.”

“Don't get any ideas.” I pointed at him as I readjusted my top. If it even qualified as a top. “Jonathan doesn't even know I'm doing this.” I paused before adding, “plus he has a girlfriend.”

“Well he's about to find out.” I followed his gaze in the direction that Jonathan was skating down the ice towards us. Kris laughed when I closed my eyes, as if that would make him not see me.

“Hide me,” I hissed as I awkwardly skated around Kris, clutching onto his arm to try and not slip. As Jonathan skated past, his eyes deeply focused on the puck he was handling, I thought that I was safe. That was until I sighed in relief a little too loudly. He glanced quickly in my direction and then did a double-take when he realized who I was. “Don't let him come over here, don't let him come over here,” I quietly chanted to myself. My prayers were ignored as Jonathan slowly made his way over to me.

“Taylor?” He looked me up and down, a small smile of amusement plastered on his face. “What are you doing?”

“Um....” I looked over at Kris for help, but the small smirk on his face led me to believe that he wasn't going to be any help at all. “Nothing much. What are you doing?”

He opened his mouth to say something but a loud buzzer sounded to signal the players off the ice for the start of the pre-game laser show. Jonathan's eyes lingered on me for another moment before he started to skate off the ice. I slipped again when I tried to lift the shovel to get some of the shavings that Kris had left as he left the ice.

I shrieked when Patrick skated to a stop in front of me, showering me in ice shavings. “You missed a spot.”

“I'm cold enough as it is you jerk!” He chuckled as he skated away from me. I struggled to stand before falling down again. I sighed in frustration as I sat in the middle of the ice, unable to stand. I had a moment of panic as the lights went out and the loud music started to blast. I waved over the Zamboni driver as he started on the ice so I wouldn't be run over. Two refs on the sidelines noticed me and came skating out to get me. “Thanks,” I mumbled as I tried to avoid the stares of the players on the guest bench.

I felt as if I was just sitting down when the whistle blew and I was being ushered back out onto the ice. I placed my hands ahead of me to stop myself from being pushed onto the ice when I realized it was Jonathan's line out there. “No, I don't want to go out there!”

“Then you're fired,” the man who apparently was my boss said as he struggled to push me out onto the ice.

“Fine,” I sighed as I slowly stepped out onto the ice. I started off shakily and leaned side to side, almost falling over several times. I smiled to myself as I started to get hang of it.

“Taylor.” I shrieked as my feet came out under me and my half – dressed body collided with the ice. I pounded my fist on the ice before attempting to stand up again. “Jeez sorry.” I crossed my arms across my body self-consciously when Jonathan lifted me up from under my arm pits. He made sure I was steady on my feet before letting me go. “Hey, I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry.” He rubbed his hand across the back of his neck as he spoke. “About the other day at lunch, I mean. I guess I sort of overreacted.” I kept my arms crossed across my stomach, not sure what to say. “This is the part where you say, 'Sorry Jon, I overreacted too'.” He laughed bitterly under his breath.

“No.” He looked up at me in surprise. “I'm not sorry. I was just trying to warn you. It's not my fault if you don't want to listen.” I turned to make a dramatic exit, but ended up just slipping and falling on my butt.

“I understand,” he said as he picked me up and practically carried me back off the ice. His jaw clenched as he attempted to stay calm. “But you have to understand that it's my life. My decision.”

“Oh I do.” It was hard for me to stay angry when I was so focused on not breaking my ankle in the ice skates. “I don't care who you want to have as your girlfriend.” I hoped he wouldn't be able to see right through my lie.

Girlfriend?” He looked over at me skeptically. “Taylor, I just met her.”

“I thought you said you liked her.” I could feel the look of confusion on my face that mirrored his.

“I do.” He laughed slightly at me. It made me feel dumb. Like I was a stupid little kid that didn't know anything about anything. “But I wouldn't consider her my girlfriend.”

“Oh.” I sat down in the reserved section for the Ice Crew, feeling a mixture of surprise and happiness flood though me. “Okay.”

“So are we good here?” He asked and I nodded my head reluctantly in response.

After considering it I added, "I'll think about it."

"Taylor!" He called after me as I started to walk out of the arena. "I already told your boss you quit!" I laughed quietly to myself before turning around to look at him.

"Why?" I smirked at him as I placed my hands on my hips. "You don't like this outfit on me?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey just wanted to say that I'm very upset that I only have one comment so far :( Thank you to that person but I'd really like to hear from the rest of you. I know that I have more then one subscriber. It really gives me inspiration to get the chapters out faster when I get comments. I might even be able to get out another chapter since this is a long weekend. Well thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy! GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!