Your Voice Was The Soundtrack Of My Summer

Chapter Twelve

I looked down at the ring and asked Patrick’s question again in my mind. “Will you wear this promise ring?” Patrick had asked me. I took the box in my hand and just stared at it speechless. “Just say yes already!” I heard Kevin yell. I laughed and gave Patrick the box.

“Yes I’ll wear your promise ring. But shouldn’t we make a promise though?”

“Ok, how about this? This ring is a token of loyalty and love. Which means we promise to stay true and love each other until the end of time.”

“Absolutely.”

Patrick took the ring out of the box and put it on my finger. I looked down at it as it shined in the lights of the fireworks.

“Perfect fit.”

I wrapped my arms around Patrick’s neck and kissed him under the fireworks. This kiss was special though, it was one of those romantic, “I love you so fucking much,” kisses. I heard people clapping in the background.

“I’m going have to give to you again don’t I?” I jokingly whispered in his ear.

“No, but you do owe me.” Patrick joked around. After the fireworks were over people started to leave.

“I’m going to head home Patrick.”

“I’ll take you, you want to walk or drive?”

“We can walk, it’s a nice night out.”

When we got home we said good night to each other, and a kiss of course. When I got inside my parents were sitting on the couch and to my surprise my sister and Tyler were here too.

“Hey guys! If I knew you guys were coming I would have stayed home.”

“Piper, Audrey and Tyler are here to share some news with us. We waited until you came home because we wanted you to be a part of the it.” Josephine said.

“Ok.”

I cautiously sat down on the couch with my parents. Piper and Tyler’s hands were intertwined as they looked at each other in the, “you tell them,” kind of way. Then finally Audrey spoke.

“This could have easily be done over the phone but I thought it would be even better if Tyler and I were here in person to tell you. Well, Tyler and I have been thinking and with the accident and all we’ve decided to have a baby.”

My dad and Josephine both jumped up in joy and embraced Tyler and Audrey. I on the other hand just sat there stunned. I was going to be a freaking aunt. An aunt, mind you. This was fucking huge. After I had come to the realization of all of this and used my muscles again I too hugged Audrey and Tyler. Audrey quickly glanced at my hand when we let go. She squealed and grabbed my hand.

“Oh my God! Patrick proposed?”

At that moment Josephine and my dad started freaking out.

“No, no, no. It’s a promise ring.”

“Aw how cute! Let me see it!”

Audrey pulled on my arm and looked at the ring closer. Then everyone else came to get a closer look.

“What did you promise?” My dad asked.

“Loyalty and love.”

“How sweet!” Josephine said.

“Yeah, I met his family today and during the fireworks he asked me if I would wear it.”

Everyone awed together.

“Anyway, I’m going to go get ready for bed. Congratulations Audrey and Tyler.”

“Rock that promise ring sis!”

“Sho nuff.” I said while smiling. After I took a shower and everything it was eleven. I had to call Becky. I waited, and waited, then finally Becky picked up her phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey Becky! Do you have pants on?”

Becky hesitated for a second.

“Yes.”

“Guess what?”

“Don’t toy with me. What?”

“Patrick gave me a promise ring.”

Becky screamed into the phone. I moved it away from my ear a little.

“Everyone! Patrick proposed!” Becky told the others.

“Becky! We’re not engaged.”

“You might as well be.”

“Tell the others the truth. Or at least put me on speaker.”

“Fine. Hold on. There, you’re on speaker and everyone is here.”

“Guys, Patrick and I are not engaged. It’s just a promise ring.”

“I’m going to call you Patrick’s wifey anyway.” Pete said.

“How did this all come about?” Becky asked.

“I went to his family cook out. I met his whole family and they’re really nice. Later on after we took care of some, um, business, we watched the fireworks and…”

“That’s when he proposed!” Hailey shouted.

“We’re not engaged! God…”

“Oh my God that’s so romantic. Send me a picture of the ring so we all can see it.” Becky asked.

“Hang up so I can send it. Then you can call me back when you get it.”

“Ok.”

I hung up the phone and took a picture of the ring with my camera phone then sent it in a picture message. I waited then Becky called me back.

“Oh my God Piper the ring is amazing!”

“What does everyone else think?”

“They were stunned, and impressed.”

“Are you still on speaker?”

“No.”

“Ok go some place private. I need a little best friend time with you.”

“Ok.”

“Are you some place private yet?”

“Hold on!”

“Ok.”

“Ok I’m in the bathroom.”

“How’ve you been?”

“Good, how’s Audrey?”

“Great, in fact her and Tyler are planning on having a baby.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“Wow, it seems the good news just keeps on rolling for you sweetheart.”

“Yeah, how about Miami? What did you do today for the fourth?”

“Well, it’s hot as hell, and all we did today was watch some movies, eat junk food, and watched the fireworks.”

“Did you and Joe make any fireworks of your own?”

Becky chuckled quietly.

“Which reminds me, Joe and I are publicly stating that we are indeed dating.”

“You didn’t publicly state this before?”

“No, I mean yeah for the longest time we acted like a couple but we never actually said, ‘hey this is my lover,’ you know what I mean?”

“Yeah. Well congratulations.”

“Thanks, and congratulations to you too on all of this goodness.”

“Thanks. I’m going to go to bed. Don’t get arrested up there. Safe sex, and all of that.”

“You too! Peace out.”

I hung up my phone and turned it off. For the longest time I just stared at the ring in the dark and moved my hand certain ways to make it shine through the moonlight coming through my window. Then I thought about what Pete said, the whole “Patrick’s wifey,” bit. Honestly I liked the sound of that. Soon enough summer was going to be over and I would have one more year of high school. I didn’t want the summer to end actually, but then I was excited for the new school year. Just the fact Patrick was there made school seem a whole lot better.