Your Voice Was The Soundtrack Of My Summer

Chapter Two

“Hello.” I said with a mouth full of toothpaste.

“Ugh… is this Piper?”

I spit the toothpaste in the sink and filled a Dixie cup with warm water.

“Yeah… sorry.”

“Hey its Pete and I’m here right now with Patrick… he’d like to ask you something.”

My heart jumped when I heard his name. I waited anxiously on the other line. I heard Pete holler for Patrick. I listened closely to what was being said in the background.

“Oh wait… Piper I’ll be right back.”

“Ok… take your time.”

I pressed my cell phone tightly against my ear and rinsed with mouthwash. I walked over to get some toilet paper to wipe my mouth off. Steering clear of the toilet… I have had a bad experience involving electronics and plumbing.

“Piper?”

My heart started beating really fast when I heard Patrick’s voice. If I were a cartoon right now I’d have little hearts in my eyes.

“Hey Patrick.”

“I was um, just wondering if you were going to the dance with anyone.”

“Well…”

“I knew it… it was stupid for me to think you didn’t when you clearly already have a date… I’m just going to go.”

“No! Patrick wait! What I was going to say was I don’t have a date.”

“Oh… well that’s good. So, uh, do you want to go with me?”

Inside my head I was screaming, “YES, YES, OH MY FUCKING GOD YES,” but I kept my sanity.

“I’d like that.”

“Cool… I’ll see you later then.”

“Same here.”

I hung up the phone and merrily picked out an outfit for the day. Becky and I were going to get our hair dyed. Then I was left with nothing to do. I looked over at the picture of my mom and thought I would give her a call.

“Hello?”

“Hey mommy!”

“Piper! How are you?”

“I’m great. How are you and Kenneth?”

“Good, good. How are Josephine and Matt?”

“Well Josephine is still the fire breathing dragon she always was. And dad is away for work.”

“Oh dear… I know you don’t like Josephine but…”

“Correction… I hate her.”

“Now Piper… hate is a strong word.”

“But, I really, really don’t like her.”

Oh my God I almost couldn’t believe I pulled a Plain White T’s lyric in there.

“Anyway… so what do you have planned for the summer? I know you have that dance tonight.”

“I don’t know… I don’t have any plans for summer yet. And yes that dance is tonight.”

“Oh I hope you have fun tonight. Do you have a date?”

“Yes…”

I smiled when I thought of me, Patrick, at the dance.

“Take lots of pictures! I want to see it even though I can’t be there.”

“Will do.”

“Piper! Breakfast is done.”

“Sorry mom I have to go the devil has spoken.”

“Be nice…”

“You know I can’t do that.”

There was silence on the line. She knew I was right.

“I’ll talk to you later mom. I love you.”

“Love you too.”

When I went downstairs I grabbed a cup of orange juice and sat in front of a plate of pancakes. I went overboard with the maple syrup and looked at my reflection in the brown pool on my plate.

“All of that maple syrup can’t be healthy.”

I just ignored her. She just wants to piss me off, but not today… no sir. I’m going to the dance with a boy I really like and she wasn’t going to ruin it for me.

“So Piper, you have that dance tonight right?”

“Yup. I’m going with Becky.”

She dropped her fork when I said that.

“You’re going with Becky?”

“Chill... not in the way your thinking.”

“Oh… you scared me for a bit there.”

“Yeah.”

I rolled my eyes while take a gulp of orange juice.

“Then who’s your date?”

“A boy…”

“What’s he like?”

“I don’t really know… I just met him.”

“How could you go to a dance with someone you just met?”

“Easy, he asked me and I said yes.”

“Lets hope he doesn’t have tattoos.”

After I was done eating I couldn’t have been happier to get upstairs.

“If Becky comes around tell her to come up to my room.” I said while walking up the stairs. A few albums listened on my iPod later there was knocking on my bedroom door.

“Piper Elizabeth Jones! I’m here to arrest you and Patrick is here to do the frisking!”

I knew she was lying. I opened the door and Becky had a damn megaphone.

“Where in hell did you get the megaphone?”

“Last night my mom was having a walking down memory lane moment and I found it while searching up in the attic.”

“Your insane!”

“I know.”

Then she started jumping on my bed and singing, “Clothes Off,” by Gym Class Heroes.

“We have to take our clothes off! We have to party in Miami!”

“What are you talking about? Those aren’t the lyrics.”

“Guess where me, and you are going this summer?”

“Oh my God… are you kidding me?”

“Nope… my cousins Jennifer and Hailey are allowed to use my Aunt and Uncles huge beachside condo and they said I could invite whoever I wanted.”

“Oh my fucking… I can’t believe this.”

“Believe it peaches!”

“We’re going to Miami!”

I started jumping on my bed with her.

“That’s not even the best part! Pete, Andy, Patrick, and Joe are coming too.”

“What?”

I almost fell off the bed. I jumped off and looked at her.

“Patrick is coming… I’m going to make an idiot of myself.”

“Oh no you won’t… I will make sure that nothing stupid will happen.”

“Promise?”

“Totally.”

“I guess we’re going to Miami.”

“Now come on! We have to get our hair did girl.”

I screamed as Becky jumped on my back.

“Get the fuck off.”

“Not until we make it to the stairway! Go!”

On the ride to the salon Becky and I talked about going to Miami. It seemed like we got there fast when Becky’s brother told us we were here.

“I’ll call you when were finished.”

“Not like I’ll pick you up Becky. I’ll pick Piper up.”

“Go fuck yourself Freddie.”

I chuckled as I watched Freddie drive away.

“Wow what a lovely brother sister moment you two had.”

“Whatever… he can be a dick sometimes.”

We walked inside the salon and waited for our names to be called. Becky’s was called first.

“Wish me luck baby.”

“Break a leg.”

“Thanks for wishing that on me.”

“No problem.”

A few outdated magazines later I found a prom edition of Seventeen Magazine. I looked through the many array of prom dresses. By the choice of dresses in here I was happy with my choice to wear to the dance tonight. Then my name was finally called. I looked at my reflection as the lady pumped the chair to go higher.

“So what would you like today sweetheart?”

The hair stylist was surprisingly pleasant. I told her I wanted some brown highlights to darken my strawberry blonde hair a bit. While I was waiting for the dye to take a newly colorful Becky came skipping my way. She had gotten the top layers of her hair bright red and underneath it was jet black along with her bangs.

“Hello baby girl. Do you like my new hair?”

“It’s awesome Becky.”

“I’m going to go get something at Starbucks. You want anything?”

“The usual please.”

“You got it.”

“Thanks.”

I was finished with my hair before Becky came back. I waited outside the salon. Then here she came running out of Starbucks.

“Goddamn! Sorry it took me so long. It’s like a madhouse in there.”

“It’s ok.”

“I like your hair by the way.”

“Thanks.”

“Now all we have to do is wait for Freddie.”

“What should we do until then?”

“Prank call people we know.”

“Sounds like a plan.”