Your Voice Was The Soundtrack Of My Summer

Chapter Six

My eyes fluttered open at 8:00am. I looked around and no one else was awake. There wasn’t any possible way that I was going back to sleep now. I took out my clothes for the day and contemplated on where I could change. I could just change here since everyone was asleep but there could have been the chance of waking someone up and, yeah, I think you get the picture. The McDonalds across the road caught my eye. So I just forced my jeans over my pajama pants and put on my hoodie. I could take off my pajamas in the bathroom so that way no attention would be drawn to me like I would have if I walked in there in my pajamas. Any other apparel I just put into an empty 7 Eleven bag. I was successful in going into McDonalds without causing any attention. No one was in the bathroom, thank God, I made sure I did a quick change, washed my hands, and went back to the van. Everyone was still asleep, so for the next two hours or so I tried to write some poetry but in the end I just ended up with little doodles on the side of the page. Becky snarled at me when she woke up, she wasn’t the morning person and she’ll go off on anyone that crossed her path in the morning. So I just quietly stayed where I was and continued my doodle soirée. Then Pete woke up, he squinted at the sunlight coming through the window.

“Hey can you and Becky leave the van so I can change? Then we can get back on the road.”

“Ok sure.” Becky groaned as she stumbled out the van with me. She covered her eyes when the sun hit them. “Wake up Becky, it’s a new day!”

“Shut up.”

I giggled and smacked Becky’s arm. I noticed three people coming out of the motel, a teenage girl, a teenage boy, and a toddler. The girl stared at us constantly as the boy strapped the kid into a car seat. Then I heard Becky gasp faintly.

“What’s up?”

“That’s Sara, and her boyfriend Evan.”

“Sara? You mean cheating Sara?”

“Yes… what other Sara could I be talking about idiot?”

I could feel anger flaring inside me. It’s one thing that she cheated on Patrick but to have the nerve to stand there and stare at us was another. When she noticed I noticed she got smug and rolled her eyes. I clenched my fist so tight that my knuckles turned white. Becky noticed and knocked on the van door to see if Pete was finished. It was hard for me to go back inside knowing she was over there, Becky had to pull me back inside. Pete looked at us worriedly as he saw my cheeks flushed with rage.

“Is Patrick still asleep?” Becky whispered.

“Yeah.”

Becky sat in the passengers seat and looked over at Patrick to make sure he was really asleep.

“We saw Sara, and Evan coming out of the motel.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I didn’t think I was going to get Piper back in here without her going all Jackie Chan on some white ass.”

Pete smirked at Becky and started up the van. I watched the motel fade into the distance. That wasn’t the start I wanted today. I wanted today to go by smoothly, no drama, and no stress. Just hanging out in Miami. I pulled out a piece of Stride gum and listened to my iPod. The gum would hold off the morning breath until we got to a working sink. Nasty I know, but this was road trip life, at least we would get to some actual plumbing later. The rest of the ride was all of us singing random songs. Then we finally were there. I stared up at the beachside condo, swanky. Becky ran up to the door leaving Joe to get her things. I breathed in the ocean air as I stood next to Becky. When Jennifer answered the door Becky screamed so loud it was enough for the whole city to hear.

“What took you so long Becky? I was starting to worry you were taken away by aliens.”

“Peter Lewis over there had to stop to sleep.”

“Oh.” Jennifer and Pete exchanged waves.

“Ok Jennifer… this is my best friend in the whole entire world Piper! That over there is her boyfriend Patrick.” Becky winked when she said Patrick.

“That’s my bitch Joe, and that’s Andy. Of course you know Pete.” I gave Jennifer a friendly wave.

“Now I call one of the showers first. So you and Hailey can tell the others where their quarters are. See you later alligator.”

Becky ran inside and up the stairs. Jennifer showed the guys where they would be staying and then she took me to where Becky and I will be staying.

“So this is it, this is where Becky, Hailey, you, and me will be staying.”

I looked around the huge room and its two king sized beds. I nearly fainted.

“Wow this place is quite fancy. I’ll just settle in and…”

The Hailey came running in, tackled me onto the bed and tickled me.

“Stop! Come on stop.”

“I’ve missed you Piper! It’s been so long since summer camp back in… when was it again?”

“Summer of 2000.”

“Right! Where’s Becky?”

“Showering.”

“Oh.”

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Patrick leaning against the doorframe.

“Uh not to be weird or anything but do you think I can stay in here? It’s only been about five minutes and Pete, Andy, and Joe already made the place a disaster zone. I’m kind of scared for my life.”

I watched Hailey light up like a Christmas tree when Patrick mentioned Pete.

“Ok, as long as you’re not afraid of the girly-ness. And if you don’t mind sleeping with Piper.” Jennifer said.

“Oh! Scandalous.” Hailey sang.

I could feel my cheeks warm up. I tried to hide it by putting my things away, turning my back on everyone else.

“Thanks I’ll go get my things.”

With that Jennifer left too. Just leaving Hailey and I alone. Hailey sat crossed legged on the bed.

“So Ms. Jones.”

“So…”

“How long have you and Mr. Stump been doing the do?”

I smirked at Hailey moving her eyebrows up and down.

“We haven’t been doing the do for one thing.”

“Ok then how long have you not been doing the do?”

“What’s with you and the whole doing the do business?”

“Ok fine, how long have you two been together?”

“A while… I guess.”

“Oh… I wonder why Becky didn’t tell me. She always kept me up to date on you Piper, I should beat her up later.”

“That’s nice to know.”

Then a new and clean Becky came into the room drying her hair with a towel. Hailey gave her a welcome tackle like she did to me.

“Becky! Why didn’t you tell me Piper and the Rickster were dating?”

“Hello to you cousin. And I didn’t tell you because I wanted to keep at least one thing about Piper to be a secret.”

“Again that’s nice to know best friend.”

“Your welcome Piper buddy old pal. Oh and F.Y.I, I reserved the bathroom for you so you better grab it before one of the men steal it.”

“Thanks.”

I grabbed my plastic bag of bathroom essentials and started my search for the bathroom. I probably should have asked where it was. After about twenty minutes of searching I came across a door with a sign on it. It said, “Reserved for Piper Jones. So keep your stinking paws off!” I loved Becky and her sense of humor. After brushing my teeth, taking a shower, drying and straightening my hair, and putting my make up on everyone else was downstairs playing video games, and they were clean. I looked over at Pete and Hailey who were laughing and throwing chips at each other. Patrick got up and hugged me from behind.

“Lets go outback for a while.”

I followed Patrick outside. The water in the pool shimmered in the late afternoon sun. We sat on the edge of the pool and dipped our feet in.

“Beautiful isn’t it?”

Patrick looked at me and smiled.

“Yeah it is.”

“It seems like forever since we’ve had some alone time.”

“We’re alone now.”

“Yes, yes we are.”

I lied down on my back to look up at the sky. The sun warmed my skin slightly. I grabbed Patrick’s hand.

“Imagine what it’s like out here at night, with the torches lit and all. Kind of like paradise in the city.”

“Can get that in Chicago dear.”

Patrick lied beside me and stroked my hand with his thumb. I closed my eyes and it took me back to the night before we left, underneath the stars. Patrick was teasing me by putting his hand in front of my face. I growled and tried to bite him.

“Aw that wasn’t nice, you could at least kiss me for being so mean.”

I stood up and stretched my arms.

“You have to catch me first.”

Patrick chased me all around the yard. Finally catching me near the hammock. He tried to throw me in with him on top but the hammock said otherwise. We both flipped over landing hard on the ground.

“Ouch, man sorry Piper.”

I started busting out laughing.

“It’s ok.”

“You’re so cute when you laugh.”

Then I started blushing. Like I always did when Patrick says those kinds of things to me. Patrick pick up my head from behind my neck and kissed me. We both relaxed our bodies to make the kiss deeper. After making out for a few minutes Pete comes out.

“Stop playing tonsil hockey! We have to go to the store for our little party tonight.”

Damn the store always ruins everything.