Status: Work in Progress

But Mommy! He's a Vampire!

I Promise I Won't Watch Scary Movies With Daddy Anymore!

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" the little boy screamed, tripping over his shoe laces as he ran into his mother's bedroom.

"Yes, Henry?" she sighed, putting down her book and turning her attention to the upset toddler.

"Mr. Stevens! He's a vampire! Mommy! He is!!!" he informed while waving his arms in the air to emphasize the importance of the situation.

"Henry... Did you watch Dracula with your father again?" she asked rolling her eyes at the thought of her careless ex-husband.

The young boy pouted and looked down at his untied shoes.

"I watched it mommy, but he's still a vampire! He's all pale and scary! He's not like a normal growned up mommy! He only wears black, mommy! He doesn't leave the house in the day time, mommy!"

The woman sighed and looked down at the child. She got out of bed and picked up her son. Her day off was not going as she had planned, but she did not expect otherwise with a curious little 4-year old.

She kissed him on the nose and ran a hand through his untidy blonde hair, "Henry. Everyone's not a monster. You've got to learn that someday."

Henry groaned, "MOMMY! I didn't say everyone was a monster. I said Mr. Stevens is! I told him so too! I was-"

"You did what?!" his mother gasped.

"I was gonna saaaaaaaaaaay! I was playin' with Freddy and I threw the ball into Mr. Stevens yard. And, since Freddy's not trained yet, he wouldn't fetch the ball! I went and got it and he was on his porch, so I yelled, VAMPIRE, got the ball and runned away," Henry replied matter-of-factly.

"Hen, you can't just say that to people! It isn't nice and-," she tried to explain.

Of course he completely ignored his mother, as most children do, and waited for her to finish her everlasting lecture on what's right and what's wrong.

"-Henry, you have to apologize!"

"But, mommy! He is a vampire!" Henry complained and stomped his foot on the carpeted floor.

"I don't want to hear it, Henry. You and me are going over there and you're going to apologize to him," she said taking his hand and leading him to the door.

With every step his little heart began to beat faster.

"Mommy! Please! I won't watch scary movies with daddy anymore!" he cried frantically trying to get his mother to release his hand so he could run back to the safety that was their home.

"Henry, you have to learn to be nice to people even if they're different," his mother replied, struggling to get him to cross the street.

Henry's little heart began to pound faster and faster until it ceast to pound at all.

He fell to the floor. Motionless. He caught a glimpse of Mr. Stevens house. He saw him looking down at the scene. His eyes flashed red at the child as he pulled back the curtain and vanished into the eeriness of his home.

He heard the panic in his mother's voice, but couldn't understand what she was trying to say to him, but it didn't matter. He couldn't respond anyway.

All Henry saw was darkness.