Crimson Cutie

Chapter 2

I swear, the sun never shone here in Colorado. It was always rain, rain, rain. Never a forecast on the news that said “Today you should open your pools!” or “Have a barbeque!” No, never. Instead it’s always “Make sure you bring an umbrella! It’s gonna poor all this week!” and “I recommend to not have your kids walk home from school today, lakes will overflow!” and I never in my life will walk home as long as this weather continues.
I watched all the younger kids stand in the rain, dancing, trying to catch a few raindrops on their tongues, and just being kids. Some are slopping in the mud, others are just calm and waiting for their parents.
I caught a glimpse of Lily and her possè. They were gathered under the oak tree, their hoods up and screaming because they apparently couldn’t get a drop of rain on their cashmere dresses. Stop, Evelyn. Stop insulting your best friend. I’m not part of her possè. I’m considered her ‘best friend’. The people in her group are followers, wannabes. But only her bestest friends aren’t in the group. So apparently I’m her bestest friend? But the followers are named Gloria and Nicole. The most spoiled, most cold hearted girls ever. All they cared about was not getting wet, making sure their lipstick was never smeared, eyeliner was running, any of that, they also cared about the hot boys, and the ‘in and out’ list they made up. But Lily isn’t in any of those. She really doesn’t like her followers from what I heard from my friend Vivien.
My mom drove into the parking lot, slipping and sliding like we had a bad snowstorm. I could sense she was in a hurry for something, because the look on her face and the way she sped into the parking lot was not typical.
I put my hood up and ran towards the car. My boots clinked on the wet cement and I got rain splashed all over my jeans. My hair blew in the wind, and I could feel my hair getting frizzy.
I was in a rush this morning and didn’t put in any frizziness protector in my hair before I straightened it.
I opened the car door and slammed it closed. I threw my backpack in the backseat.
“Come on, let’s go, let’s go!” My mom shouted. She beeped the horn more than needed to the elderly picking up their grandkids.
“Mom, why are you so rushed? Not to mention rude?” I asked.
Mom breathed heavily.
“My boss scheduled me to be in at four thirty today and it’s four fifteen. I gotta get a move on!” She said.
I shook my head.
“So what mom. Be late, you don’t need a perfect streak all the time,” I said.
Mom growled.
“You do not understand, Evelyn, if I don’t be late for the whole semester I get a free coffee mug,” She said.
“Oh my gosh! A coffee mug! That’s so exciting! WOO! Drop everything to not be late and get a special edition coffee mug that I bet you can find in the store!” I shook my hands to get the ‘full effect’ of being wise.
“I don’t need your mouth, missy. I want that coffee mug, and I’m gonna get it,” She said.
“Mom, you can get a coffee mug at the store, geesh!” I shouted.