Status: Work in progress, currently got writers block though :(

The Pain Within

Part 7

One of the main thoughts in her head was what the future would hold and how everyone could move forward from this. Julia knew most of the reasons behind Lucy’s attempt, and most of them were family issues, which caused the depression that she had struggled alone with for a long time. At least there was one positive out of this whole horrific ordeal, Lucy would finally get all the help she needed, and probably more besides! As this thought crossed her mind, Julia smiled to herself. She couldn’t help but imagine Lucy’s face when she was bombarded with all the professionals that she was going to have to see. Again, Julia realized how much work Lucy and her friends were going to have to put in from this point forward, and it stopped her train of thought. Julia snapped out of her daze and realized suddenly that the area around them had got a lot quieter, as the other patients had begun to settle down for the night. The nurses were going to each bed in turn, doing the after-dinner medicine round.
Up until this point, no-one had really noticed much about the ward that Lucy was on, but as Julia glanced around she saw that the unit contained a small number of patients ageing from about 16 to 60, and that they were all women. It wasn’t a women’s unit, so this struck Julia as odd to see only female patients. The most striking thing however, was what Jane pointed out. Out of all the patients, Lucy looked by far the worst.
In the bed next to hers was the youngest patient on the unit, and as Jane looked over she caught her eye and the girl quickly looked away, ashamed. Jane told her it was ok to look and went over to talk to her, while Anne came and sat next to Lucy. A solemn silence cascaded around Lucy’s bed, as Julia sat on Callum’s lap in the corner and Anne sat on the other side of Lucy, holding her hand. All you could hear was the beeping of the heart monitors and Lucy’s laboured breathing. If a stranger was to walk into that atmosphere they would know in an instant that all the friends were thinking the same thing; “Will Lucy survive the night?”
When Jane returned she broke the silence by telling everyone about the girl she had just met. Her name was Mary and she had just turned 16. She too was in hospital because of a mental health issue, except hers was an eating disorder. She had been rushed into hospital after collapsing at home, and was now being stabilized so that she could be moved to the locked psychiatric ward, the same one that Lucy was going to. Jane explained in a very heartfelt way that Mary was very scared and alone, but also very worried about Lucy. She wanted to be friends with her and of course wanted her to wake up. As all of Lucy’s friends listened their hearts warmed, and Julia said what they were all thinking; “it will be really good for them to be friends, they can recover together”.
It was now getting late, and this meant that Jane had to get back to her 2 boys who were with their dad at home. At almost 8 o’clock it was getting close to bed time for the youngest, and she had promised to be home by then. Jane really didn’t want to leave, and promised Julia that she would be back tomorrow as soon as she could. Julia made a promise there and then to everyone around the bed that she would keep them all updated of any changes in Lucy’s condition. Jane was heading out the door just as Izzy’s very tearful face peered out from behind it.