Focusing on Perfection

Focusing on Perfection

Focusing on Perfection

The thin black frame sat motionless for hours as the silent night lingered in the dead room. Its plastic exterior kept the metallic wire that formed its arms cool through the warm summer night. With one arm slanted due to a loose screw, the waiting glasses had no choice but to rest in a tilted position. Particles of dust landed soundlessly on the frame after hours of swerving in the night’s air flow. The slender lens seemed well kept; only a few very unnoticeable dings and scratches. Its rounded rectangle design gave it a widened view of black night; only a small blur in its sight where the scratches were.

Tomorrow would be its owner’s first day of school after a long simmer vacation. So it watched the boy toss and turn throughout the night; excitement and anticipation streaming think in his body. The glasses were excited too; there was no real way for it to express it though. How could it not have been; sitting in the same exact spot for nearly two months, only to watch the boy live his life. All it could do was watch the room as the days slugged away. Two entire months it sat and watched the boy run out and enjoy his life while it collected dust and hopes to see the lush world soon.

Anyone and everyone that even offered the frame a glance, would simply see right through it; but it watched them and noticed everything about them. That was, after all, what it was designed to do; focus in on everything. It was happy when it could focus on all the rich colors of life, all the movements, everything the world had to offer; instead it sat waiting in the dark lifeless room for two months.

The glasses envied the boy, how he tossed restlessly in the night. That boy could move and adjust his frame however and whenever he wanted. He could express his feelings with his voice, and even see different things by looking around when he pleased; while the glasses saw what it was set to see.

Slowly, the sun slithered into the room; feeding light into the black of his sleepless night. The red crystal clock blurted out increasingly louder beeps; each one causing the boy to stir in his bed until he eventually slammed his hand down on the clock and silenced it. He slowly rose from his bed with a groan as the sun lit the room up with the light that radiated from the floor it kissed. The boy staggered around the room; getting ready for the day; then after what seemed like a breeze compared to the wait it had to endure, the boy finally lifted it up from the desk.

That moment, it felt as if gravity had died; it grazed through the air as the boy lifted it up. With every twist the boy made to place it on his face; the lenses saw different angles of the room. Then, like the final piece of a long awaited jigsaw puzzle, the boy placed the frame on the top of his nose and ears. The lenses screamed inaudibly with joy that it never once felt; the boy even polished its eyes, leaving it feeling fresh with the excitement to match.

As the boy walked out of the room, the glasses gazed upon every little detail of his dull house. It had seen it all before countless times, but despite the plain interior and walls of white; the lenses enjoyed it all, knowing it was more than just the room. Every picture of the boy and his family, every book in the shelf, every ornament throughout the house; the glasses focused in on. It watched the bus come to a screeching stop while the trees danced and howled a sweet tone with the gentle breeze that helped every lush green leaf dance its own pattern. It watched the birds sway in the air with their dull gray wings spread wide. It watched the teenagers on the bus laugh and joke around with their freely moving bodies; it knew it would never be able to do such marvels things, but at the time it was just content to see them all living their lives. They didn’t understand how precious it was to be alive, to have limbs, to be able to walk, run, sport, and sing; but even with such amazing gifts; very few of them ever did anything with it. Most sat down and sat motionlessly as the watched a screen suck out their youth, distracting them of the wonderful gift it wished it could have; even the boy let his life vanish during the summer.

When they arrived to the school and it watched all the people walk, talk, and laugh as they shared stories of their vacation; it felt like a fresh new pair of glasses. It felt completely new to the word even though it had already seen this school and most of the people that walked its ground. It felt as if it was alive, and it was looking around at the vibrate new world; the scratches only fogging up a tiny bit of his vision. The scratches meant nothing to the pair of glasses; for now it was just pleased to see the world so beautifully.

As the days past and the glasses watched day and day out, it began to slip into a slippery storm of melancholy. It watched the, once so lively, people sit down and stare at the screens. They never talked, never ran, just sat in chairs and wasted away their lives; even the boy forced the lenses to watch the luminescent screen flash into the boy’s eyes. When the day ended and the boy walked home from the bus; it watched the, once so beautiful, leaves wither and fade into browns and grays. The birds stopped the graceful glides, and the people stopped laughing, just walked like they were sick of using their legs.

Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months, and melancholy turned to hate. It watched the world around him; the world he was excited for, just vanish and all it could do was watch. All it could do was watch everyone, it focused in on them, which was what it was made for… All it saw was imperfect, both physically and personally, people trying to act the opposite… It observed these imperfections cover what was left of the wonderful wonder. And after a while, the glasses wished no longer for a life of its own, but wished to be condemned back to the desk where it sat for so long. Everything it once hoped for was gone; everything it dreamed of vanished as if that what it always was, a dream. How could something so wonderful wither away and die; how could people have such wonderful gifts and choose to let them rot away?

It now focused in on everything simply because it was what it was designed to do; not because it urged to see the world. It was tired of watching the people sag and die slowly; it seemed only the screens could provide visions of the wonderful world. But that all changed one sunny day; a day where it had the faintest glimmer of hope, she fed its hopes and dreams again.

As the boy walked to his next class, the lenses caught sight of something wonderful. Something it hadn't seen in months, something, or better yet, someone perfect. She had nothing that it could see that was flawed. Her vibrant deep tan colored strands of hair waved as she walked, a glowing shimmer of spicy red mingled in with her brown locks. Her frame wasn't too small or too tall. As her strides pulled them closer, it could see her lavender glowing orbs glimmer in the sun. The lenses noticed that she was veering off towards the left; which meant the boy hadn't even noticed the saint! It began to plea and beg for the boy to turn or glance; anything for it to get one last view of her!

And just as she was about to escape and take all hope the glasses had; something happened. The boy was bumped from behind by another boy wasting his life away with a miniature screen in his hand. The frames flung off the boy’s nose and right into the girls quick hands. The plastic frames stumbled in her hands as she fumbled it and eventually grasped it. Her voice laced out a wonderful giggle as she offered the boy the glasses. He apologized and she said it was fine. The beauty was quick to pull out her paper that listed her classes and question him; she was new here. The boy examined her paper and smiled warmly; telling her to follow him. For now the glasses had its wishes; it watched her closely every time the boy glanced over to talk to her.
Finally this world had something worth looking up to. The two would spend an hour of the day talking to each other; it watched their talks and listened. She played multiple instruments, wrote stories, sang, very social in the world. She rarely sat down to stare at the screens; this girl was absolutely perfect. This was the thing the glasses truly believed had died long ago; the sol-survivor of and extinct existence known as perfect. Weeks past as the two talked in that class, the girl even gave him her number for his little screen to contact her little screen; that was the only time it would ever be happy to stare at the screen, when it would see messages from her.

Every little detail about her the glasses would pick up, far more than the boy ever did. The truth was, the glasses admired her absolute perfection. The way her lips would sway into a smile before parting for a soft giggle. The way her hypnotic kiwi green hues would widen before she gasped soundlessly in fear or surprise; usually comical jokes. The way her sharp tooth would nibble at the edge of her bottom lips as she tapped the desk by flicking it with her index when she was frustrated by a math problem, or how nothing was safe from her habitual nibbling when she was bored or in thought. The way she too went to school whimpering that she would fall asleep before she got home; and would be the one enthusiastically telling the boy to stay awake in the last hour. What was best about her was simple things, nothing extravagant and yet simply perfect in every way. The glasses found her touch heavenly when she would notice that the lenses had a smudge or scrape, she would gently snatch the frame from his face and polish them herself. She would exhale on the plastic lenses, swab them by pressing her shirt with her thumb, and then she would slowly slip them back onto him; letting the lenses watch her grin for her simple accomplishment… Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months, and admiration for her perfection turned into love for her.

The glasses had no life, no mind, no heart to the rest of the world; it was coursed to live a life of silence and still-life. But this world was wrong, this world and its people had glared at the screens too much, and had forgotten how important it is to live a wonderful life. Even the boy himself, who would wear these glasses, only did it because it was a force of habit. Once he slipped them on in the morning, he went about his day never even caring for the frame; but the girl did, she respected the glasses. She was the only one who would look up from her screen and into the world. She was the one that made the grass that much greener, and the birds that much more graceful, and the world over all that much more magnificent. Yes it was only a pair of glasses with no life, and she was a beauty with a life full of energy and joy; but it knew what it saw in her and it knew what it felt… Love… These people had forgotten the meaning long before; when the screens took their will to interact with their gifts. But this girl was changing all that. She would take the boy bike riding, swimming, play different sports; she made the boy happy and full of life, she made the glasses happy too… Much happier than it would ever be again…

One beautiful morning, the boy agreed to meet the girl at a park. He sprang out of bed before his alarm had the chance to blurt out to him. He skipped around his room to ready himself for a day of fun with the girl; then he slipped on the glasses. After a short bike ride to the park, the boy regrouped with her and a number of their friends. They had everything set up to have a wonderful day under the bright sun. They spent hours out there; slowly one by one began to leave, until only the girl and the boy remained. They began to chat as the walked hand in hand. The boy pulled out his screen and began to tap away at it, the girl just watched. Then… The boy tripped when he lost sight of where he walked; the lenses flung off, and the girl stepped right on them as she tried to catch the boy.

The frame felt itself give way to what little force and weight her foot had. The lenses cracked and fractured against the gravel. She gasped and pounced up hoping she hadn't crushed the glasses, but it was too late. One splintered lens gazed up at her, the other gazed at the distance; it was bent and was seeing multiples. The girl whimpered as she gently picked up the disfigured frames. She sighed in deep sorrow as she gazed down at the frame. The boy slowly took the frame from the guilty girl and smiled…

“Hey, it’s okay really..”
“But I broke them…”

The boy loved the girl, just as the glasses did; so neither one of them wanted her sad. He gently planted a kiss on her forehead, something the frames wished it could do. Yes the frames felt the pain, but the girl had picked them up and cared deeply for the plastic frame. That was worth any pain to it…

“It was my fault really, I tripped. I’ll just get new ones.”

He took her hand and walked to the trash can… And simply tossed the glasses in… A few pieces of the lenses came out; nearly crippling its sight. But it had just enough left to watch the two walk away… Hand in hand… Happily… The glasses loved the girl for what she had done to the world; made it beautiful. It would be left here to rot and become nothing, but it wasn’t sad at all… It left this world watching real perfection… Real love… walking away and out to the world… In its mind it gave a faint smile, knowing that it had seen something wonderful; that was what it was designed for…

To see wonderful things in the world… And it saw something much more… It saw perfection… The girl was never perfect to this world; she had her flaws like everyone else… But the boy, just like the glasses, fell in love, and saw her… Perfect…
♠ ♠ ♠
Again this was just a story that I came up with that was due in two days ^^
Please enjoy and comment