Status: Hiatus

Impossible

Chapter 1

ImageImageImage

I looked into the undersized locker mirror as I pulled my hair up into a pony tail. If I didn't do that everyday, I would be forced to wear a hair net, and well, that is just not happening. As I finished the last loop through the hair tie, I stopped and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked tired. I could see the stress beating up my body. I closed my eyes and sighed.
I have to do this. I need to put on a smile and go serve people. Remember why you are doing this Carilynne.

Image

I opened my eyes and shut my locker. I have to say that to myself every morning to get myself motivated for the day. I can't let my emotions control me. Mind over body is my technique.
As I make my way out of the locker room and to the kitchen, I tied my apron around my waist and straightened it with my hands so there were no wrinkles.
I reached the kitchen and opened the door. As soon as I did, my nose was overwhelmed by the amazing smells coming from all over the room.

Image

This is a top of the line banquet hall. We have the best food in the entire state. People travel from all over the country to have weddings, proms, conferences and every other kind of gathering.
I walked over to the ticket counter and picked up a schedule for the day.

FRIDAY
10:00 am -12:00 pm : First Selectman's Campaign Breakfast.
12:30 pm - 3:00 pm : St. Jude's Children's Hospital Lunch Benefit.
3:00 pm - 4:30 pm : Banquet Hall Showcase
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm : Disney's Camp Rock Cast Dinner
8:00 pm - 10:00 pm : John F. Kennedy's Senior Prom
10:00 pm - 11:00 pm : Cleaning Stations


I sighed again as I read the busy day ahead. Not that it is out of the ordinary. Every day is busy here, and I was the lucky one that got to leave at 7 o'clock every night. So, I really can't complain. I looked down at my watch to see how much time I had before I had to go out and serve for the breakfast. 9:57. Three minutes left.

As I set my arm back down at my side, my boss pushed through the door.
"Alright everyone, gather around. I have some announcements" he said.
Everyone made their way towards the front of the kitchen where the boss had just walked in.
"Today is another busy day," he started, "but don't worry, we will work together to make it a great day." He paused and scanned over all of his employees.
"Today, we have a few special duties that need to be fulfilled."
I hate when we have days like this. That means that he is going to assign certain workers to stay with a select few costumers to wait on them hand and foot.
"Lets see," he continued and he looked through the group a little slower this time, he stopped on one man, "Jonathan, I am assigning you to stay in the right hall during The First Selectman's breakfast. You will stay right by The First Selectman's table at all times, giving specific attention to everyone at his table. You are to serve no other tables during that meal." He finished and Jonathan nodded in understanding.
My boss continued to look through the crowd.

Image

"The Saint Jude Chidren's Hospital Lunch Benefit does not need anyone to pay specific attention to any table and of course the showcase is just simple serving, so again no special service. But, during Disney's Camp Rock Cast Dinner, I will need one server to stay with the honored guests at all times." He stopped talking as he scanned the crowd for who he would pick for this job. All I could do was pray that he would not pick me. That kind of serving is the worst. You are there with the people the whole time, you have to practically wipe their mouths as they eat and pretend that you are happy to do it, because you are required to smile. I did not want to end up doing that.

I watched as my boss looked in my direction and then locked his eyes with mine. Crap!
A sly smile appeared on his face.
"Ah of course, Carilynne. You are the perfect choice." I slowly nodded as I looked down at the floor. I know that he picked me on purpose. He always does that to me. He does a lot of crap like that to me, but that's not important right now.
He finished his speech and walked out, letting us get everything together for the first serving.

The Breakfast and Lunches went on like normal, a lot of back and forth from the kitchen to the dinning room, faking a smile at everyone I pass, and counting down the minutes until I get to leave. But I couldn't stop thinking about how much I was going to hate working the personal server dinner. I am really dreading that. I have a thirty minute break before I have to go in a serve a bunch of ungrateful, impatient, stuck up stars while smiling like I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, I am not excited at all...
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just the opening. Let me know what you think!