‹ Prequel: Maybe Memories

Don't Forget

Wormtail

Being a rat for twelve years had done no justice to Peter. He looked more rat-like than ever, eyes darting to the door as the seconds passed. Sirius began to raise his wand, but Estelle grabbed his other wrist. He was stiff with anger.

Andi stared at the scene before her. She kept hold of Harry's jacket sleeve, unsure of who to trust.

"We were just having a conversation about the night that James and Lily died," Remus said. "You might have missed the finer points, squeaking--"

"Remus," Peter gasped, "surely you don't believe him! He...he tried to kill me, Remus!"

"So we've heard," Remus said, more coldly. "I'd like to clear some things up, Peter."

"He's come to try and kill me again!" Peter cried, now pointing at Sirius with his middle finger, due to the fact that his index finger was missing. "He killed James and Lily and now he's going to kill me too! You've got to help me, Remus..."

"No one's going to kill you," Remus said. "Not until we've sorted a few things out."

"Sorted things out?" Peter shrieked, sounding still like the rat he'd been. "I knew he'd come back for me! I've been waiting. He's tricked Estelle!"

"You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban, when no one had ever done it before?" Remus asked, eyebrows furrowed. He was clearly not buying anything that Peter had to say, but ti was only fair to hear his bit.

"He's got Dark powers the rest of us can only imagine!" Peter shouted. "How else did he manage to escape? I suppose he learned a few tricks from He Who Must Not Be Named!"

Sirius laughed a wicked, hollow laugh. "Voldemort, teach me tricks?"

Peter flinched at the name.

"Scared to hear your old master's name?" Sirius said. "I don't blame you, Peter. his lot aren't happy with you, are they?"

"I-I don't know what you mean," Peter said, sweat dripping down his forehead.

"Surely you haven't been hiding from me for twelve years," Sirius said. "No, you've been hiding from old Death Eaters. I heard things in Azkaban...They all think you're dead, or you'd have to answer to them. It sounds like they think the double-crosser double-crossed them. On your information, Voldemort went to the Potters, where he met his downfall. All of Voldemort's supporters aren't in Azkaban, are they? Plenty are still out there, pretending to have seen the error in their ways. If they ever heard of you being alive--"

"Madness!" Peter interrupted. "I-I don't know what you're t-trying to say. You don't believe him, Remus?"

"I'm having trouble believing an innocent man would spend twelve years as a rat," Remus said.

"Innocent, but scared!" Peter exclaimed. "The only reason that they would be after me is because I put their best man in Azkaban-- the spy, Sirius Black..."

"How dare you," Sirius growled, taking steps toward Peter, sounding more like the black dog than ever. "When did I ever use people who were stronger and better than me as a shield? I'll never understand why I didn't see it before. During school, when you would disappear without telling us. It all adds up now. You always liked big friends who would look after you. We looked after you, Peter. All those years ago. James and Lily only made you Secret Keeper because I suggested it," Sirius hissed, so angrily that Peter stepped backward. "I thought it would be the perfect plan! Voldemort would come directly after me. I never dreamed he'd worry about a weak, talentless thing like you! It must have been your shining moment, telling Voldemort you had the Potters..."

Peter was muttering incoherently about how mad Sirius was.

"Professor Lupin?" Hermione asked timidly. "If this man has been sleeping in Harry's dormitory, and he's been working for You-Know-Who, then why didn't he ever harm Harry before?"

Andi supposed that was a logical question, but her mind was made up. Her father was speaking from a place that he was clearly wounded. Besides, Pettigrew was less than pathetic.

"There!" Peter exclaimed. "I've never hurt Harry!"

"You never did anything for anyone unless you could see what was in it for you," Sirius spat. "Voldemort had been half-dead and hiding for twelve years. You wouldn't dare commit murder under Albus Dumbledore's nose for a wizard who lost his power, would you? No, because you'd want to be sure Voldemort was the biggest and baddest before you went back. Why else would you have found a wizarding family to take you in? Keeping an ear out for news about you old master, eh, Peter?"

"Mr. Black--Sirius," Hermione said timidly. Sirius was clearly taken aback to be addressed with way. "If you don't mind me asking, how did you escape if you didn't use Dark magic?"

"Thank you!" Peter said, "That's exactly--"

"Oh, shut up!" Estelle spat.

Peter ducked.

"Well...I think the only reason I never lost my mind...never lost that last bit of hope, is because I knew I was innocent," Sirius said slowly. "It wasn't a happy thought, so I couldn't lose that. It kept me sane, knowing who I was. I would change in my cell, just to see that I could do it. Dementors can't see, they feel their way towards emotions. I was still very weak...and I had no hope of driving them away without a wand...

"Then I saw Peter's picture and knew he was at school with Harry from the article... ready to strike the moment he knew the Dark Lord had power. So, I had to do something... It was like someone lit a fire in my head and the Dementors couldn't destroy it. It gave me strength.

"One night, when the Dementors opened the door to bring me food, I slipped past them as a dog. It was so much harder for them to sense animal emotions and they became confused. I was thin enough to slip through the bars. I swam back to midland as a dog, traveled north and slipped onto the grounds. I've been living in the forest ever since. Then, I found out I had a daughter and I couldn't let anything happen to her either. I stayed mostly in the forest though...except to watch Quidditch... Harry, you fly as well as your father."

He looked at Harry who kept his gaze.

"Believe me," he said, an amount of pleading in his voice. "I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died first." He looked over at Andi, who was standing next to Harry still. "Please, believe me."

Harry looked at Andi, his throat to tight to speak. A tear streamed down Andi's face. She nodded at Harry. Harry looked back at Sirius, then nodded.

"NO!" Peter cried, as if the nods had been his death sentence. He fell to his knees. "Sirius, it's me--Peter-- your friend--"

"Don't touch me," Sirius said. "My robes are filthy enough without you touching them."

"Estelle, surely you're not going to let him--"

"Peter, I expected more of you. James did so much for you," Estelle shook her head. "You're pathetic and I have no sympathy."

"Remus!" Peter cried. "You don't believe--"

"Of course I do," Remus said. "It makes perfect sense."

"Ron," Peter plead, "Haven't I been a good friend? A good pet?"

Ron looked at Peter with revulsion, "I let you sleep in my bed!"

"Kind boy...kind master...I was a good rat..."

"If you make a better rat than human, it's not much to brag about," Sirius said.

"Sweet girl, clever girl...you won't let them..."

Hermione looked horrified as Peter reached for her robes.

"Lovely girl, sweet like your mother--"

"Don't speak to my daughter," Sirius growled.

Peter was desperate, trembling. He turned slowly towards Harry. "Harry, you look just like James, your father--"

"HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO HARRY!" Sirius absolutely roared. "HOW DARE YOU SPEAK OF JAMES IN FRONT OF HIM!"

"James would have shown me mercy..."

Both Sirius and Remus had heard enough, stepped forward and took hold of Peter and threw him backwards. He sat there, trembling with fear.

"You sold James and Lily to Voldemort?" Remus asked. "Didn't you?"

"I-I didn't-I was scared! I was never brave like the rest of you. He Who Must Not Be Named forced me--"

"DON'T LIE!" Sirius yelled.

"He-he would've killed me, Sirius..."

"THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED! YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED RATHER THAN BETRAYED YOUR FRIEND, AS WE WOULD HAVE DONE FOR YOU!"

"You should've realized, Peter," Estelle said, "if Voldemort didn't kill you, we would."

Estelle, Sirius and Remus had their wands raised, shoulder to shoulder.

Hermione faced the wall. Andi started to turn away.

"No!" Harry yelled.

"Harry, what...?" Estelle questioned.

"Please, just no," Harry said. "We can take him to the castle, then the Dementors can have him."

"Thank you!" Peter cried.

"I'm not doing it for you," Harry said. "I just don't think my dad would've wanted his best friends to become killers. Not for you."

Andi spoke up," I agree."

Pettigrew deserved death...but she really didn't want to witness her mother, father and Moony all become murderers before her eyes. She wanted Dumbledore to see Peter, hear the truth too.

"Alright," Remus said. "I'm just going to bound him, I swear. But if he transforms..."

"We'll kill him," Sirius said.

Harry nodded so that Peter could see him. Then, Remus extended his wand hand and bound Peter.

"I can't heal bones like Madam Pomfrey," Remus said. "So, I'll just put a splint on it until we can reach the castle."

Sirius stepped closer to Andi, as Remus took care of Ron's leg.

"I'm very sorry you had to see my like this the first time we met," Sirius said. "If it could've been any different..."

"It's okay," Andi said, not really knowing how else to respond to that apology. She gazed into Sirius-- her father's-- eyes that were the same shade of blue-gray that hers were, just much, much more full of sadness. Still, she smiled small. "If I would've been in your position, I could only expect that I would've acted the same way. I'm just sorry that I acted the way that I did. I don't hate you-- I just... I didn't know."

"At least it's sorted out now, right?" Sirius half-smiled. "After today, things will get better. I promise."

"I hope so," Andi tried not to sound doubtful. She hugged her father for the first time.

Estelle watched the tender moment that should've happened years and years ago. She swallowed her tears. "Let's get this over with, shall we?"

Sirius nodded.

"Um...what about Snape?" Hermione asked.

"...He'll be alright," Remus said. "We'll leave him."

Harry couldn't help chuckling with Ron.

Everything felt like it might have been right with the world as the eight of them trailed through the long tunnel. Crookshanks lead them, Wormtail in front, followed by Remus and Estelle, who had their wands pointing at him, then Ron who was being helped by Hermione, Harry Sirius, then Andi.

"I don't know if you know this Harry, but...James and Lily made me your godfather," Sirius said.

"I know," Harry said.

"Well, if you wanted to...maybe you could...come and live with me."

"Leave the Dursley's?" Harry said. "I-I--Yes!"

"Of course, I'll have to sort a few things out first," Sirius aid. "But that'll be nothing compared to what happened tonight. I'm so glad the two of you believe me."

Outside the tunnel, the stars were mostly covered by fog. Hogwarts' windows shone through the fog, golden.

"It's beautiful," Sirius said. "Even more beautiful as a free man."

"Ron, are you alright?" Estelle asked, helping him back up.

"I think they're...going to have to chop my leg off..."

"Madam Pomfrey will fix it," Hermione said.

"No..." Ron said, "They'll have to chop it..."

A cloud shifted by the edge of the mountains, casting light from the bright, full moon over the grounds. A crackling sound came over the silence. Remus hunched over and moaned in pain.

"Get back, all of you," Sirius yelled, his arms outstretched, as if he could shield them.

Remus was transforming--his face elongated, his hands curled into claws...

Andi grabbed onto Harry's jacket sleeve again. She knew this happened once a month, she wasn't afraid of Remus, but it was the first time she'd ever actually seem him transform. Hermione whimpered under her breath, as Ron used her as support.

Estelle was shaking and quickly pointed her wand at Peter who was backing away from Remus.

"Move, Estelle!" Sirius yelled.

She swallowed hard and stood where she was. A howl of a wolf came from behind her. She didn't take her eyes off of the struggling Peter.

Sirius quickly transformed into Padfoot and leaped forward, between Estelle and the werewolf. Estelle lost her balance. She was face-down, but quickly sat upright to point her wand back at Peter, when she realized her wand had been knocked out of her hand. Frantically, she felt on the ground for her wand, but by that time Peter had transformed.

Padfoot fought the werewolf until it scampered off to the forest.

"Sirius, he's gone, Pettigrew transformed," Harry yelled.

The back bog had gashed along its muzzle and back, but at Harry's words it dashed off.

"We have to do something, tell someone," Hermione said. "Snape will be conscious soon to tell his version!"

Andi had tears in her eyes again.

"Are you four alright?" Estelle asked, rushing back toward them.

"Ron can barely stand, professor," Hermione said.

Estelle sighed, "Let's see if we can't help him make it inside."

Andi took her mother's hand, not caring that it was childish.

Through the darkness came a yelp and a whining; the sound of a dog in pain.

"Sirius," Harry muttered. He ran without thinking with Andi on his heels.

"Hermione, are you alright to stay here with Ron?" Estelle asked.

"Yes, go, Professor!" Hermione cried.

Estelle took off after them, "Andi! Harry! Come back here!"

The sounds had come from the edge of the lake. Sirius had turned back into a man. He was crouched down, hands over his head. "No," he moaned, "Please, no..."

Harry was next to him, Andi too. Surrounding them was a fog-- familiar, icy and cold. Dementors swarmed them.

"Something happy," Harry kept saying.

The only happy thing Andi could think of was Fred, but Fred wasn't there. Without Fred there was no happiness... It was hopeless...

"Expecto Patronum..." Harry said, "Expecto...Patronum...Ex-Expecto..."

Estelle raised her wand, "Expecto Patronum!"

A small silvery wisp came from her wand, but it quickly disappeared. She'd never done well with Patronuses...

Harry kept saying the incarnation, but Andi had already collapsed. Estelle had fallen to her knees.

I've been so useless tonight... I'm such a terrible person for what I've let happen... Awful feeling filled Estelle and images passed into her mind--

Something drove it away. A bright, blinding light illuminated them. Harry was not producing it, but it reminded her of him...and James. She hoped Sirius could feel it too. It was very heart-warming.

And he could. With every ounce of strength he could muster, Sirius raised his head. He caught a glimpse of where the brightness was coming from-- a stag, galloping across the lake...

It took a lot for Estelle to keep her mouth shut. She bit her tongue as Snape spoke to the Minister of Magic. As of now, Snape was not trying to get her into trouble. She lied in her bed in the hospital wing wishing she held a better position to speak, to tell her side of the story. When she spoke, they told her she was delirious, to lie back down. She realized she had no other choice unless she wanted to lose her job or to end up in Azkaban.

In the bed next to her, her daughter lied unconscious, as did Harry in the opposite bed. Hermione was awake, looking distressed in the next bed. Ron was being tended to by madam Pomfrey.

Harry stirred just as Madam Pomfrey turned to face him. When he asked what happened, Madam Pomfrey told him they were going to preform the kiss on Sirius... She was glad Andi was asleep...unable to hear...

Harry jumped up from his bed and tried to argue as Estelle had done previously. He was shot down quicker than she'd been. Snape said they'd all been Confunded and then the Dementors had made it worse.

Dumbledore entered the wing.

"Professor Dumbledore, Sirius Black--"

"Headmaster," Madam Pomfrey began, "I must insist--"

Andi started coming around.

"My apologies, but I must speak with Miss Granger, Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, and both Professor and young Miss Grant-- alone," Dumbledore said.

Madam Pomfrey hesitated, but went to her office.

"Surely you don't believe Black's story?" Snape asked.

"I wish to speak with these five," Dumbledore said.

"Sirius Black showed he was capable of murder at the age of sixteen," Snape went on, "You haven't forgotten he tried to kill me?"

"My memory is as good as it ever was, Severus..."

Snape stormed out the door.

Harry and Hermione burst into speech at the same time.

"Sirius is innocent--"

"Peter Pettigrew--"

"A rat--"

"He framed him--"

"Lupin saw too--"

"So did Estelle--"

Dumbledore held up a silencing hand.

"Please, sir," Estelle said. "It's true. Remus and I entered the Shrieking Shack, where Sirius was with the kids. Sirius told us that Peter was Ron's rat and I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed before-- We're all animagus, you see-- we were young and stupid, sir. It came back to bite us, for sure. Snape wouldn't listen, Andi attacked him--well, she only disarmed him. She had good reason--But we saw Pettigrew! He was there, I swear it!"

"Estelle," Dumbledore started.

"When we got outside, Remus transformed. We lost Peter--it's all my fault, sir..."

"Please, Estelle!" Dumbledore said. "I believe you."

"So, you can stop them from giving my dad the kiss?" Andi asked, quietly.

"I wish that I could, my dear girl," Dumbledore sighed. "The word of four children is not going to be taken seriously. Estelle, you are only being excused because they feel you've been traumatized." He looked very serious. "I'm sorry..." Then, there was a twinkle in his eye. "What we need is more time. Estelle, I think you should take your daughter for a walk to the courtyard."

"Sir--?"

"Please, do as I say. We'll explain later. Take some chocolate and go. Hurry."

Confused, Estelle took Andi's hand and the two of them walked quickly down the hall--across a corridor, down the stair and out to the courtyard.

"Mum, I'm sorry..." Andi said.

"There's nothing for you to be sorry about," Estelle said.

"I know, but---"

They were interrupted by the sound of wings. Buckbeak the Hippogryph was landing in front of them.

"What the--"

"We don't have much time," Hermione exclaimed, being helped off of Buckbeak's back by Sirius, followed by Harry.

"What in Merlin's name is going on?" Estelle asked.

"There's no time to explain now," Harry said.

"I'll be forever grateful for this," Sirius said. "Hermione, you really are the brightest witch of your age."

She smiled.

Estelle ran forward and hugged him. "You're okay!"

"Of course," Sirius grinned.

"It's nice to see that old grin again," she kissed him. "I'm coming with you."

"Are you mad?" Sirius asked. "You can't."

"I know, I was just..." she smiled a tearful smile. "Be careful."

"Always am," Sirius said. He faced Harry. "It's so cruel that I had so much time with James and Lily and so little with you."

Harry nodded.

"And of course you," Sirius crouched down to be closer to Andi. "I'm sorry it's going to have to be this way....But I want you to know this," he looked at Harry. "Both of you. The ones that love us never really leave us. You can always find them in here..."

He placed a hand on Harry's chest, over his heart. Then, he pulled Andi into a hug. The clock struck midnight.

"We must go," Hermione said.

Sirius turned his back on them, mounted Buckbeak and took off into the night sky. Andi held her mother's hand again as they started back toward the hospital wing, Harry and Hermione sprinting ahead of them. She looked back to see if she could see her father and Buckbeack. But they were gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
At the beginning, it's very much like the previous chapter, direct book quotes. I think it was important to refresh the reader's memory of the things that were said and to add my own charcter's imput. As you can see, I still combined the book and movie.

I really hope you enjoyed though! Comment are always appreciated.