‹ Prequel: Maybe Memories

Don't Forget

Dementors of Azkaban

Mass Murderer, Sirius Black, Escapes From Azkaban

Responsible for the death of thirteen people, twelve of them being muggles, Sirius Black was sentenced to life in Azkaban prison. We ask the magical community to remain clam. If you see the wizard, do not attempt to approach, contact the Ministry immediately.

A gaunt, sunken face stared up from the picture above the article. Long, matted hair hung past his shoulders. His eyes were sad, his face unshaven.

Estelle tossed the Daily Prophet back onto the coffee table.

"What the hell is he thinking?" she whispered, quietly.

Remus sighed and sat back in his chair. "Azkaban drives people mad."

Panic came up through her stomach, into her throat, like she had to throw up. Her stomach was tight with fear and curiosity. She was busting to smile, to laugh, because he finally got out, after twelve years. He was free...

After a moment of silence, when Estelle couldn't take her thoughts any longer, she changed the subject.

"Did you get the job?" she asked.

Remus was also into his thoughts. He shook his head, and said, "Oh, right. Of course. I opened the letter before I read the paper... I did. With some difficulty, yes."

She smiled.

"Snape was trying to make sure I didn't get the job," Remus half-smiled. "I think he still has hard feelings about when we were at school."

"I'm sure he does," Estelle said. "He's really unfair to Harry, and he complains to me about Andi at least once a week." She rolled her eyes, then smiled, "I'm excited. It's going to be weird having you back at Hogwarts with me."

Andi made her trip to Diagon Alley when the Weasleys did. Ginny, Fred, and George told her about Egypt over ice cream at Florean Florticue's.

"It wasn't even the heat that annoyed me, it was Percy," George said.

"Getting to be Head Boy has made him a bigger prat than he already was," Fred added.

"We've been trying to changed his badge to say Big-Head Boy," George said.

"He just likes to think he's important," Andi said. "Just ignore him."

"I can't ignore a head that big," Fred said.

Ginny giggled.

"Well, we're off to stock our supply of dung bombs," George said, standing.

"And Filibuster's Fireworks," Fred added. "Don't tell mum." He winked at Andi.

Andi smiled.

"We might as well go to get our books," Ginny said.

On their way to Flourish and Blotts, they passed the Quidditch supply store. In the window was a broom called a 'Firebolt'. It was very, very fast and even used in the national Quidditch league. Both Andi and Ginny admired it for awhile.

"Next year, a spot will be free on the Quidditch team," Andi sighed, happily.

"You're going to try?" Ginny asked.

"I might," Andi smiled.

"I'd like to try out sometime too," Ginny said.

Andi had gone ahead to sit with Ginny. Estelle felt sort of odd boarding the Hogwarts Express with Remus. They found an empty compartment.

Remus yawned, "I'm having deja vu."

Estelle smiled, "I'll be back."

Remus didn't hesitate to curl up with his jacket. The previous night had been a full moon.

Rain started to come down heavily, as Estelle made her was down the aisle to check on things, to say hello to students. Anything to keep herself from opening the Daily Prophet, that always had something about Sirius inside it.

Andi went to Anthony, Misty, and Drew's compartment for a bit. They were sitting with Lindsay Smith, a Hufflepuff in their year and Elizabeth Manson, a Ravenclaw also in their year. The two girls couldn't have been more opposite, but they were best friends. Lindsay was telling a very, long detailed story about her trip to Italy over the summer, before Andi could return to her own compartment with Kendra, Ginny, Fred, George and Lee.

"He's mad, my mum says," Lee said.

"Yeah, but to slip past Dementors? He must be clever," George added.

"Are you talking about Sirius Black?" Andi asked, settling back into her seat.

"Yeah," George said.

"So what happened exactly?" Andi asked. "Is everyone just freaked out because he broke out of Azkaban and no one's ever done it before or...?"

"You don't know?" Fred asked.

"I don't," Kendra piped up.

"Yeah, but your parents are Muggles!" Andi said.

"Sirius Black is even on the Muggle news," Kendra said. "All I know is, he's a murderer."

"Well, he is," George said.

"Mum and Dad say he worked for You-Know-Who and killed thirteen people," Fred said. "He went on some sort of rampage after you-Know-Who was defeated. Killed one of his friends."

"He sold out Harry's parents to You-Know-Who, and Mum and Dad think he's after Harry" George added. "But we're really not supposed to know that, or at least we're not supposed to say anything."

Andi felt a strange squirm in her stomach, "Does Harry know?"

"I guess not, considering we weren't supposed to say anything," Fred said, looking uncomfortable.

"They'll catch him, won't they?" Kendra said.

"Well, they've got everyone looking for him," Ginny added.

"I guess so," George said. "Soon enough, anyway..."

Andi got chills thinking about a mass murderer out there after Harry.

Out of nowhere, the train came to a stop. The chills Andi had seemed to be getting worse. The lights started to flicker, and then they went out.

"What's going on?" Kendra muttered.

"We're not there yet," Andi said, wiping the mist off of the window to look out. Everything was getting colder. Goosebumps rose on her hands.

Draco Malfoy opened their compartment door and slid inside, scrambling to a seat, whimpering.

"What the bloody hell do you think you're doing, Malfoy?" Andi spat.

Malfoy had not retort, his shadowed face looked rigid.

Suddenly, Andi saw why. She gasped and grabbed Fred's arm as a cloaked, giant thing opened the compartment door. She tightened her grip on Fred's arm, shivering, feeling suddenly very empty.

As quickly as it had opened the door, it closed it back.

Andi sighed with relief and let go of Fred. "Sorry," she muttered, looking around to see if everyone else was as relieved as she was.

"Why would there be Dementors on the train?" Fred questioned.

Andi shrugged and shook her head. "Bugger off, Malfoy," she said.

Malfoy made a face and then left, after checking that the coast was clear.

"That was a dementor?" Kendra asked.

A number of compartments down, the Dementors were still searching. It was hard for the dark, soul-sucking creatures to leave such a compartment full of easy targets.

When Estelle felt the cold, gloomy air that hung around the Dementors, there wasn't a happy thought for her to conjure a Patronus from. Before her eyes, battles, deaths, fights... She slipped into a terrible state of mind, once the Dementor opened the door. It wouldn't leave...

She shook her head slowly, watching as it approached Harry. He stared at it, mouth gaped open. Estelle's throat was tight. She wanted to help, but she was too weak for this... How could anyone manage a happy thought...

Remus woke, and sent off the Dementor. Harry had already fainted, and didn't wake up until the train started moving again.

She was unable to speak, but Remus explained what had just happened.

"Did with of you...pass out?" Harry asked quietly, toward Ron and Hermione.

"No, but I felt weird though," Ron muttered. "Like I'd never be cheerful again."

"And the screaming?" Harry asked.

"What?"Hermione asked, in an alarmed voice.

"The woman screaming..."

"No one was screaming, Harry..."

Estelle's arms were crossed tightly. She was still shivering. No wonder Sirius had wanted to escape Azkaban so badly. It would be terrible to live that way all the time. She was glad he was out.

The Great Hall's floor was sopping wet from the rain. Andi nearly slid and fell in the Entrance Hall, but Kendra caught her arm and Anthony caught the other.

"Thanks," she muttered, and at that moment, Peeves dropped a water balloon on her head.

"Nice one, Peevesy," Fred called, grinning.

Peeves dropped another, cackling wildly.

"Shut up," Andi growled, moving carefully into the Great Hall, wringing her hair out.

She sat between Ginny and Kendra (who were equally as wet, either from Peeves fo the rain) and watched the sorting ceremony. Her mother sat in her usual seat, except now between Remus and Hagrid. Snape was on the other side of Remus, looking rather more unhappy than usual.

"Welcome, welcome back to another year at Hogwarts, or for those who have just been sorted, to your first year at Hogwarts!" Dumbledore began, as the Hall fell silent, "First things first, I would like to introduce you to our new Defense Against the Dark Art teacher, Professor Lupin."

Andi clapped with the rest of the hall, smiling. Snape was looking at Remus with pure loathing, while Estelle was smiling.

"That's how he knew to give you the chocolate!" Hermione said to Harry.

"Professor Grubbly-Plank has left, wishing to spent more time with her remaining limbs," Dumbledore went on, "So, the post for Care of Magical Creatures is being taken over by our own Rubeus Hagrid."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione stood up, clapping and cheering the loudest.

"And just a few reminders from Mr. Filch, magic is not allowed in the corridors, the Forbidden Forest is still forbidden, and Screaming Yo-Yos are banned. You can see a full list of banned objects on Mr. Filch's office door."

"I'll head there straight away," Fred murmured sarcastically.

"This year, our school will be playing host to the Dementors of Azkaban," Dumbledore went on, looking more grim than Andi had ever seen, "in hopes of capturing and protecting the school against Sirius Black." Murmurs broke out across the hall. "Now, I must ask you to stay in bounds and give the Dementors no reason to harm you. They cannot be fooled by Invisibility Cloaks. It is not in that nature of a Dementor to be forgiving. Now, tuck in!"

"Oi, Potter!" Malfoy called from across the Hall, "Is it true you fainted?"

"Ignore him, Harry," Hermione said.

"Yeah, he acts tough now," George said. "You should've seen the look on his face when he came running to our compartment."
♠ ♠ ♠
So, last Christmas, Estelle told Andi a few things about her father. Lets see if this year, she puts anything together...