Sequel: As the World Burns
Status: Complete! There is a sequel! Enjoy zombie fans!

89.4 Zombie Radio

School's Out Forever (Bob)

The more I walked the more my leg started to feel numb. I knew I couldn't let these two down. I hadn't so far and I wasn't about to start now. I started reminiscing about the crash. It would have never happened that way if I were by myself. I would have seen that car, and had more than enough time to slow down and get around it. In fact none of the crazy events thus far would have happened if I were alone. I would've never stopped at a lunatic's house, or even had a gun fight in Doc's sporting goods if it weren't for these two. I limped on and the thought started getting stronger. I needed to get rid of these two at some point. They were great, but I knew I was better off on my own. I just had to find somebody else who could take care of them. I wasn't so much worried about Roxy being able to take care of herself, but Layla was as fragile as they come. I worried too much about both of them, and I knew that feeling would get the best of me eventually. I was going to have to make my move pretty soon, before I got too attached.

When we finally got to the campus, I didn't even notice the pain in my leg. I was ready for war and I told the girls to get ready too. This wasn't going to be an easy journey at all. I didn't even know where we should try to go either. We may have finally met our match this time. I instructed them to try and play it as quiet as they could. No guns, just melee weapons if possible, only use firearms if absolutely necessary. The last thing we needed was a huge swarm of them coming at us. I seen one out of the corner of my eye charging behind Layla. I acted quick and threw her aside. The zombie put his arms as if he was going to hug me. I swung my bat like I was driving a railroad spike into his head. He went down, and I didn't stop swinging until he stopped twitching. Layla was mortified at what she saw. I grabbed her hand and pulled her along with me. No time to be scared right now. We had to keep moving.

Walking a little further, I came across a mangled car and grabbed a pipe I found on the ground. I tossed it to Roxy and told her to stay close. I gave Layla the shotgun, and told her not to fire it unless I said to. I also gave her the grim circumstances of if I were to die, then fire away and run as fast as she could. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that though. We played the stealth game, darting in and out of cover like trained ninjas. I seen a group of them up ahead. Dressed in cheerleader outfits. Guessing shit hit the fan around the time of cheerleading practice. There were a few male cheerleaders too. I had nothing against male cheerleaders, but I always wondered what you told the kids later on in life, because "daddy was a cheerleader," just seemed like a tough reveal. The group was chewing away on some corpse, like a pack of hyenas on a lion. They were right in the way of where I wanted to go. I checked some more routes, most were filled with something on fire or being eaten.

Of course the stairs to the main building were clear. Just like in the movies, "Come on in its all clear in here," that's what you think right before you get swarmed and mangled by cannibalistic bastards. Unfortunately it was seeming like our only choice. I started to wonder if the zombies were really teaming up or just eating each other. It was hard to tell. Clearly the cheerleaders had stuck together so far. I was praying to God they weren't that advanced. We started to edge toward the door of the main building. I told Layla to guide me through the building. I figured she'd know her way around, and we needed direction at this point. The door opened and shut behind us.

"Its quiet," said Layla.

"A little too quiet," I said back, satisfied I had finally gotten to use that line. Just then I heard a roar from right behind me, before I could turn around, Roxy had already nailed it with the pipe. We both went to work on bashing its face in. So far we had kept things pretty quiet. I asked Layla what the quickest route through the building was.

"Through the cafeteria. Outside there is where all the smokers went to get away," she said.

"Then that sounds like the perfect fucking place for us," said Roxy in response. Layla pointed the way, and we started to make our way there. We turned a corner and there was a huge pack of them headed right for us. This was bad, and we quickly backtracked through the hall we just came from. I opened a locker and shoved Layla in.

"Don't fucking breath," I said to her. Roxy got the idea and stuffed herself into another one.

"You two stay there, I'll lose em, Like I said, don't breath!" I pleaded. Now it was my show. I just hoped my little stunt was going to work. With my luck, I gave it fifty fifty odds. I pounded on a locker with my bat, and heard the roars from down the hall. As soon as I seen one turn the corner I ran as fast as I could out of the building.

I quickly realized this plan had absolutely no basis to it. I was totally improvising. I just knew I had two beautiful girls, stuffed in lockers waiting for me to come back. If I didn't, they were fucked. That was all the motivation I needed. I ran past the cheerleading squad, who seemed too interested in the corpse they were feasting on to care about me. I knew the group I pissed off was not going to be far behind me. At least I was hoping they wouldn't be too far behind. I needed to get them as far away from the girls as possible. I looked back, they were still coming. I threw the bat at one of them. "Dumb ass!" I thought to myself, was I really that fucking stupid? Apparently I was because I just did it. Now I was defenseless and I attracted the attention of the cheer squad. I hoped they weren't as fast as I thought they were.

I still had my pistols, if I needed, I could hold them off with those, even though I knew it wouldn't be enough. I was freaking out just a little at this point. Where was that chainsaw and that sharpened toothbrush I was dreaming about before? I might need them for my approaching final stand. I kept running, hoping something would hit me. That's when I saw it. A steamroller, placed by the hand of God himself. Or maybe just a recently turned zombie construction crew. I could only hope there were keys. I hopped into the cockpit like a Chinese acrobat.

"Keys!" I exclaimed at the top of my lungs. I started it up and drove it straight toward the oncoming hoard. The zombies didn't budge. I guess they thought they could climb over the front and get to me. I could feel every zombie I went over and watched their skulls pop like zits. I smiled as I ran down the cheer squad, and watched as a few of the guys spit their guts up through their mouth like toothpaste being squeezed out of the tube.

A few managed to take the side but I managed to kick them off before they could get up to where I was. They fell and the back wheel usually took care of the rest. I drove it right back to the entrance and hopped out. I finally felt safe to breathe. I just hoped the girls were still there when I got back. I hollered their names and told them it was okay. I tracked down the right lockers by the sound of their voices. Layla hugged me as soon as I whipped the locker open.

"Good goin' man," said Roxy.

"Thanks, spur of the moment type thing," I replied. We went back down the hall and turned the corner. The cafeteria was right around the next corner, according to Layla. As soon as I turned the corner I heard the banging of a hammer on steel. There was a zombie right at the door of the cafeteria, trying to pound his way in.

The thought went through my mind as to who had locked the door. What was behind it? And why did this zombie want in so badly? Also these things could use weapons now? This shit was not a good sign. Note to self, avoid army bases and renaissance fairs. I didn't know if these things had the sense to actually aim a gun, but I didn't want to find out. I wasn't going to take a chance on this zombie turning around and charging at me. I grabbed the pipe out of Roxy's hands, and rushed in. I took a huge swat and and knocked him down. Then I beat his head in, it was starting to become second nature now. Knock them down, bash their brains in. It was a system that worked. Now there was the issue of the door.

I tried opening it, but something was blocking it. This was done by human hands. I decided to put my ear to the door, and see what I could hear. I heard some shuffling and whispers coming from directly behind it. I didn't know what they were saying or doing. I decided it was time to show them I was friendly. I knocked on the door in the tune of Everything Evil by Coheed and Cambria. It was somewhat of a habit. Roxy laughed when she heard it. I wasn't quite sure how to introduce myself.

"Hey!" I shouted. "We're human! We want to help you!" I never was one with words, but I just hoped it got my point across. I heard more shuffling behind the door, like things being moved around. Finally the doors, opened and I was greeted by a black guy, armed with a machete.

"Sup man?" he said. I hesitated and replied, "Sup?" We walked inside, relieved that we had finally found more people like us.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is kind of short huh? Things happen though... I probably could have combined this and the next Bob chapter. Oh well, I didn't, get over it. Umm, enjoy it... Ya bastards. - Justin Hamm